Oxford heated grips appears not properly installed

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

masator
Year: 2018
Color: Red

Oxford heated grips appears not properly installed

Post by masator »

Hi,

I've bought a PCX 2019 model, or 2018, whatever they call it. I have requested Oxford heated grips to be installed but it seems to be they are behaving strangely since they are too loose regardless if I tighten the throttle cable. I have attached the video. Basically, the throttle goes back to it's place and you can still close it further (you can see on the video how much further I can close it). I started the engine to test as well, when I release the throttle the engine is idling correctly, but that additional loose space is annoying. Do you have the same thing with the original grips or Oxford heated grips?

I also wanted to ask if the rubber on your throttle cable is short as it is on mine since mine does not cover the complete nut and lock nut area.

The video is on the link https://youtu.be/KrQC31Chhio
Attachments
Throttle Cable_2.jpg
Throttle Cable_2.jpg (307.29 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Re: Oxford heated grips appears not properly installed

Post by Lafree »

Hi, I have Oxford grips on my 16 model, I fitted mine with out taking the twistgrip apart so did they strip it apart and forget to adjust the cable also where the electric cable enters the block looks close to brake lever in the wide open position
masator

Post by masator »

My thought is that they stripped it apart because even when I close the throttle to the very end it feels soft, not solid, like it came to an end. I think I will have to open and check.
masator

Post by masator »

I have checked once again. The dealer definitely didn't replace the plastic tube. The problem is most likely with the cable, it's either wrongly routed or it needs adjustment at the engine side. I will take it to the dealer for inspection.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by DAB »

Not sure I really understand the problem. Is the heated grip moving on the throttle tube, if so you need some adhesive to prevent this.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DAB wrote:Not sure I really understand the problem. Is the heated grip moving on the throttle tube, if so you need some adhesive to prevent this.

×2

You dont need to open the twistgrip housing to fit the grips
masator

Post by masator »

The grips are properly glued, I need to check if the grip rubber on the bar end is touching the bar weight as that might be a problem.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

masator wrote:The grips are properly glued, I need to check if the grip rubber on the bar end is touching the bar weight as that might be a problem.

Mine does that sometimes when they get hot. Different effect for me - free cruise control :lol: :lol:

Try a squirt of WD40 where the rubber and metal touch?
masator

Post by masator »

you you wrote:
masator wrote:The grips are properly glued, I need to check if the grip rubber on the bar end is touching the bar weight as that might be a problem.

Mine does that sometimes when they get hot. Different effect for me - free cruise control :lol: :lol:

Try a squirt of WD40 where the rubber and metal touch?
I'm taking it to the dealer. I have a feeling they broke the throttle tube when installing the hot grips.
masator

Post by masator »

I have attached one more video of the issue if some has a clue what it could be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id14z8l ... GqymCV1O-w
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by DAB »

I think it's the wire from the heated grips stopping it from going all the way back. Open the throttle full and some more and see if the grip slides on the tube. If it does add some glue and adjust the throttle cable to suit.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
masator

Post by masator »

DAB wrote:I think it's the wire from the heated grips stopping it from going all the way back. Open the throttle full and some more and see if the grip slides on the tube. If it does add some glue and adjust the throttle cable to suit.
You are right, I adjusted the routing of the wire and it's still slightly preventing it from going fully in place but all is good now.