Bay Area, CA - new PCX with ABS on backorder

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

BlakeyD
Year: 2019
Color: Grey

Bay Area, CA - new PCX with ABS on backorder

Post by BlakeyD »

Just a heads up all - went to order my new PCX this week with ABS and two dealers couldn't find a single one in stock in California for a dealer trade. Dealer wound up ordering it from Honda, who has them on backorder until next month.

At least I ordered now and not in April when the weather is warm and dry - might be a long wait then.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Bay Area, CA - new PCX with ABS on backorder

Post by you you »

BlakeyD wrote:Just a heads up all - went to order my new PCX this week with ABS and two dealers couldn't find a single one in stock in California for a dealer trade. Dealer wound up ordering it from Honda, who has them on backorder until next month.

At least I ordered now and not in April when the weather is warm and dry - might be a long wait then.
Excellent. Gives you something to look forward to.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

You'll really appreciate the under seat storage, LED headlights, and fuel economy! 8)
abcdarko
Year: 2017 Forza 125
Color: Grey Black

Post by abcdarko »

Strange.
Where I live, some couple K miles from you there are only 2 in stock.
I lived in Redondo some years ago. Love South Bay.
ONE is black and MINE, as of this morning! It is black. Avatar is not fresh.
I both it again for all of the good reasons + one: that I can change it with the same dealer for NSS125 when available. That's small but trendy step up.

Probably not this year.

PCX is great thing to own. I hope you will enjoy one soon!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Oh man, the 2018s have ABS. That's awesome. I've been away for too long.

ABS is literally the best thing ever on a motorcycle. Unless you're a crazy-talented motogp rider, ABS will save you in so many situations. I've been in dozens of situations where I wish I had it (none of which fortunately ended up with the rubber side up), and never been in an onroad situation on other bikes where I was upset about having it. It saved by butt a couple of times on my Honda PC800.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is unfortunate that the ABS is only on the front, but that is better than none. With the price increase to have ABS the price is competitive with other manufacturers, who have ABS on both front and back. (See Yamaha offerings).
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:It is unfortunate that the ABS is only on the front, but that is better than none. With the price increase to have ABS the price is competitive with other manufacturers, who have ABS on both front and back. (See Yamaha offerings).
Or the new 2019 Kymco LIKE150i with 2 wheel ABS, LEDs at @$2900.(sadly - no radiator, pump or hoses to play with)

Fish
BlakeyD

Post by BlakeyD »

abcdarko wrote:Strange.
Where I live, some couple K miles from you there are only 2 in stock.
I lived in Redondo some years ago. Love South Bay.
ONE is black and MINE, as of this morning! It is black. Avatar is not fresh.
I both it again for all of the good reasons + one: that I can change it with the same dealer for NSS125 when available. That's small but trendy step up.

Probably not this year.

PCX is great thing to own. I hope you will enjoy one soon!
Hahaha we don't even get black in the 2019s here. Honda sells one color a year, maybe two some years. This year it's light bronze - almost silver. Last year it was white or blue.

I love Belgrade - are you still there? I spent 6 weeks there teaching English in 2017.
BlakeyD

Post by BlakeyD »

Just an update - my scoot came into the dealership yesterday and was delivered today. Took about 3.5 weeks.

Now there is another one for sale in Fremont, California since they ship them in sets of two if anyone is considering one!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

The excitement is contagious. Have a great time with the pickup (except for the "writing the check part, obviously). Please don't get carried away on that first ride home - the tires will be a bit slippery for a week or two.

Good luck!

BTW - please add your location to your profile. You will make more posts, and curious minds will want to know from whence you come.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
writergirl4017
Color: Bronze Metalic

Post by writergirl4017 »

I bet you can’t wait to try it out. I have a 2019 Honda PCX as well, but one without ABS. I’ve had it since November, but Pennsylvania weather hasn’t been conducive to riding until today. My husband and I went on a 50 mile cruise around our area. He rides a modified Buddy scooter, but still can’t ride on some roads. After he went out home, I took my bike on some roads and road flat out for a few miles. Felt good. I’m still a newbie so I’m taking the motorcycle safety course this coming weekend. I’m still debating whether I will use my own scooter or use one of their motorcycles. I’ve never ridden an actual motorcycle so it might be good for me to learn, but frankly, I like twist and go and not having to shift. Other motorcyclists are pretty cool and still give me “the wave” as I pass by them. Got a salute from a whole big group of motorcycle riders, which was pretty cool. Some people are snobs but most are nice. And I do get compliments on the Honda since it doesn’t look like the standard scooters; more like a small version of the nice Bergmans. Enjoy your scooter when you get it!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Writergirl - I would suggest using one of the course's motorcycles. In my state, you end up with a limited licence if you take the test on a scooter. Someday, you may want the option to get shifty....

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
writergirl4017

Post by writergirl4017 »

In PA, you get a full unrestricted license if you take course or test on 150cc scooter, but it would save me having to trailer my scooter to course site. It will be warm this weekend but sucks that it will be raining Sunday. I don’t relish the thought of being wet all day.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Well that's different. Also different is that you can't just ride the scoot on your learner's permit, or is that different too? In Massachusetts, you take a written (well, computerized) test and get your learner permit. You can then go out and buy or ride anything you want. Absolutely crazy, IMHO. Maybe the state is hoping for some sort of Darwin effect.

Given the rain, I might use their bikes anyway. You may want to invest in some rain gear though. The thought of a being drenched for a day will not improve your learning capacity.

OTOH, you will great experience on wet pavement. Hmmm.... use their bike. You don't want to drop yours given the possibly crappy conditions. It really isn't that much more work to shift once you "get" the feeling for the clutch.

Good luck!

BlakeyD

Post by BlakeyD »

Added my location to my profile!

Regarding your scoot vs the MSA course bikes, I'm really glad I took the course on their bike. I rode a Honda Rebel, but they had bigger bikes for the guys with longer legs. I got to get a feeling about what it is like to drive a motorcycle, which was cool. If you've ever driving a manual transmission car, you'll pick it up really fast. Also, some of the stuff they have you do on the course you wouldn't really want to do with a bike you love and might drop - like the sharp corner is REALLY sharp.

Here in CA, once you pass the written test, you can ride anything you want for a year, but you are not supposed to ride at night or with a passenger. I did the test first, and then took the MSA course to substitute for my need for a road test. It worked out pretty well and I'm glad I went that route.

Happy scooting!
writergirl4017

Post by writergirl4017 »

In PA, you can ride anything with a permit, but cannot ride at night or carry a passenger. I might use their bikes. But there have also been people who used their scooters.
writergirl4017

Post by writergirl4017 »

I started out the safety course on their bike but ended up finishing on mine. Shifting was hard for me with an hurt hip. I will take test tomorrow on my scooter but at least I got a feel for the motorcycle. Later I might someday upgrade to a Honda CTX 700 DCT. That has no gear levers but looks like a regular motorcycle. But that is in the future.
abcdarko
Year: 2017 Forza 125
Color: Grey Black

Post by abcdarko »

BlakeyD wrote:
abcdarko wrote:
I love Belgrade - are you still there? I spent 6 weeks there teaching English in 2017.
Yes I am, Belgrade is nice from your perspective. To me, only after several days in southern Italy or northern Greece.
I wished to move to US but somehow I ended up back home. I will move only if my kids do. Wouldn't mind riding PCH on Harley when old.

I had a great time picking up my PCX at 45F with my jet helmet on. Had to ride local roads for an hour. Weather was more promising that day.
I forgot after riding Piaggio BV300 that PCX has no wind protection.

Here are few pics with custom made backrest done this weekend.
Attachments
IMG_5683.JPG
IMG_5683.JPG (145.6 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
IMG_5638.JPG
IMG_5638.JPG (167.39 KiB) Viewed 1191 times