From hot Florida to the coldest North Cape on motorbike

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Re: From hot Florida to the coldest North Cape on motorbike

Post by Black Bandit »

gn2 wrote:Anything that is marketed as an "adventure" bike is a pile of shite.
All you need for a proper adventure is an old 125 and Mongolia.
They are over advertising their bikes pretty much. Know what you mean. I have turned my PCX into an adventure bike just by adding those additional mods required for those roads and the rough terrain. Don't need a big ole 1200cc that weights a tonne to do the job 8)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You can ride on any bike. You theoretically could do any sort of offroading on any bike, or tour on any bike. I love the PCX because it's light and versatile. I only tour on it sometimes because it's fun, but really, it's horrible for a touring bike and awful for offroads. It's still a load of fun, but not designed for touring or offroads.

Offroads -- yeah definitely my KTM. I have a KTM 125SX and that thing's a beast. I hit a tree on it this weekend while hauling ass up a hill. I kept riding for 3 hours afterwards on one radiator and a bent handlebar. That impact on any other bike would have DESTROYED it. I know that would have totalled a BMW GS, the forks couldn't have withstood the impact.

Touring -- you'll want something big. Like the GS1200. You don't want to be roaring through woodland trails on it, just the occasional light gravel or dirt roads. That's not to say you can't, but it's so big and heavy that it's hard to maneuver. It's perfect for the purposes of the rider in the original post on this thread -- he's having more fun on that GS than most of us ever can on a bike, and it looks like it's performing great. I can't imagine a better platform to build a beast like that on than a big GS.

But, each bike is designed for a purpose, and some are shit regardless. I agree with GN2 that most bikes are utter shit. Some bikes (Harleys) are great for looking at, polishing, and making loud noise, but they're built horrendously. Most Harley engines are built INTENTIONALLY off balance. That's planned stupidity. Or how about the Yamaha Vino? It's a 125cc that does 52mph tops, gets 80mpg at best, and leaves a lot to be desired for handling. It's shit because all the other 125cc scooters on the market, whether they cost more or less, are generally better. There's a lot of great bikes out there, but really, at least 50% of bikes out there have a better alternative for less. :P
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Good post Maddie. You are right bout the PCX going off road. It is utterly painful! I've put mine through some tough times in the last 2 months of owning this 150 and it's already showing signs of wear and tear. Honestly I have been abusing her a lot :D

Just gotta find a place to put my feet when standing up going over some of those rough terrain. The long footboard isn't designed for standing up, therefore....time to hit the cutting machine this weekend :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Look carefully in the owners manual and you will note that the PCX is not intended for offroad use.
If you want to use it offroad, you've bought the wrong machine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

gn2 wrote:Look carefully in the owners manual and you will note that the PCX is not intended for offroad use.
8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Look carefully in the owners manual and you will note that the PCX is not intended for offroad use.

You can ride any bike off road. The more inappropriate they are the more fun they are
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Black.....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Video specially made for gn2 :) Love ya mate!
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

Black Bandit wrote:I was hoping to hit the road for maybe 4 or 5 days. Just DRIVE! Drive without a worry in the World. No phone, no watch, no internet. Just me and my PCX.
I plan a few days of geocaching around mid of next month. Take the PCX from Phuket to Ao Nang, Krabi, Kho Lanta with a friend. Actually, two PCXs. Maybe we bump into each other?
Bike history: Germany: Staiger 50cc 2-stroke, BMW 250 (from 1952, my age), Honda Dax ST70, Honda CB 125 (Twin), Honda CB 750, Kawa Z400j
Thailand: Kawa Zephyr 400, Honda Wave 110 S, Kawa ZX130, PCX 150 (as far as I can remember)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

FritzPinguin wrote:
Black Bandit wrote:I was hoping to hit the road for maybe 4 or 5 days. Just DRIVE! Drive without a worry in the World. No phone, no watch, no internet. Just me and my PCX.
I plan a few days of geocaching around mid of next month. Take the PCX from Phuket to Ao Nang, Krabi, Kho Lanta with a friend. Actually, two PCXs. Maybe we bump into each other?

Oh you lucky bastard. It's mid winter here in yorkshire.

Enjoy yourselves :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

qed wrote:Oh you lucky bastard. It's mid winter here in yorkshire.

Enjoy yourselves :)
Not like it'd matter -- riding on your side of the pond is always gloomy and rainy. :lol: :lol: ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Not a cloud in the sky today, really bright sunshine, nice and warm circa 5°C, proper toasty.
There's parts of Morocco see more rain than Aberdeenshire.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Well, more specifically, qed. He's always talking about rain. Or how when it's not raining, it's about to rain. :P
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

But he lives in a world centre of excellence for the advancement of misery.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:But he lives in a world centre of excellence for the advancement of misery.

I'm not Scottish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Clearly...
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Seriously I'd wish we'd get some nice cold temps here. It's a scorching 39 celcius here today. But still a wonderful day for a ride :-) Just got back actually...ahem....wink.