Noisy engine noise when accelerating..?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Noisy engine noise when accelerating..?

Post by springer1 »

Mel46 wrote:I was once told to never go back to the dealer after you have purchased a vehicle from them unless you are familiar with their practices. Their objective is to make money.

Independent mechanics want customers. Being your friend helps them get more referrals. Referrals keep them in business.
Come on Mel. Independents are in business to make money too, and dealer repair managers want customers also. And I'd not want to go to either a dealer, independent, or even a buddy if I wasn't sure they'd do a good job. If customers don't walk thru a business' doors, they can't make money, they can't pay their employees and they close. Do it yourself, with a buddy, or take it to a business - whatever - but each individual or individual business need to be evaluated on their own not as a group.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If you are just having the clutch assembly replaced it’s a very simple job. It’s not “tearing the engine down” as it is nowhere near the engine. It’s an hour job max.

Just pick one and go to it. You’re spending more time thinking about it than it’ll take to do.

The more people you listen to the more questions you will have.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl Siena Red

Post by aphid »

True, but I can't do any more until the parts are shipped to me from overseas.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had my bikes worked on by both dealers and small shops. There has only been one dealer that I have gone to that was not only reasonable, but also cared enough to walk through the bike with me once it was torn down to show me the actual part that was bad. They also did a quick bike wash before releasing any bike that had been in their shop. They ended up going broke, mainly because the sales and finance people were snakes-in-the-grass, and that is being nice about what they were.

I know that a mechanic is a mechanic no matter where they work, but dealers whose only in interest is in sales may not be the best place for a good mechanic to work, though sometimes you could get lucky and find a place that cares about keeping customers after a sale.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

aphid wrote:True, but I can't do any more until the parts are shipped to me from overseas.

Excellent. Keep us posted.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Parts have now arrived. The new belt, weights and sliders from Thailand have incurred no import duty :-). The Driven set from the US did...just over £14. :-( But hey ho, still a lot less than I was quoted domestically. PCX now booked in for Thursday with my usual local independent...
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

On closer inspection...Customs charge, not import duty. Same thing, I guess.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Parts now fitted. £62 with VAT, 1 1/4 hours labour. Sounds and feels a lot better, now!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Great! I am glad that we could help. You shouldn't have much more in the way of problems with it. Just keep up with normal maintenance, such as changing the oil. I change my own oil. It takes 15 minutes if you don't pull the strainer, and that it only takes that long because it takes time for the oil to drain (it's only a quart).

Drain it into a drain pan. Then put the used oil into a reusable container that you can take to your local mechanic for recycle.

My biggest problem has been that the oil drains onto the center stand as drainage slows down, but you can solve that by putting a dot of Velcro on the top of the stand and a dot on a flat piece of plastic such as half of a plastic oil container that new oil comes in. You can use it like a big funnel. (Still a little messy, but much better.)

...Or just put a plastic sheet under the bike and clean up the mess after you are done. As long as you catch most of it you will be fine. 15 minutes every 3 -4 K miles is worth it to keep your precious running is a pretty good trade-off.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Thanks, Mel. Having the support of the forum has been invaluable and greatly appreciated....especially if it saves me hard earned money. I only do about 1000 miles a year and have had a full service for the bike each year in spite of my low mileage. Nearer the time - September actually - I must learn how to carry out my own servicing. I’m guessing it’s not too demanding? I do like to be as hands on as I can, as long as I am forearmed with the knowledge, which breathes confidence. I’ll be back!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The biggest cost of service comes from the labor of removing the plastic panels. There should Be some videos out on the web that will help if you decide to venture into that area. :roll:

When I first purchased our bikes taking them apart looked like something beyond my capabilities, but I had Maddiedog right down the road from me, and he was very patient. Now I have taken mine apart a dozen times, and I am confident that I could do it again. Patience is the key...and lots of instructions.

Start at the back and work your way forward when you do decide to make an attempt. I would start with taking off and reinstalling a tail box by yourself. Be careful not to cross-thread any bolts. (The key there is to use your fingers to screw in the bolts at first.)

...or you could just ride it and enjoy it. :D
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

I can relate to that. I change the stock dark visor for a taller Givi clear visor in the winter time. Here on the flat east coast its much dryer than the rest of the UK but far more windy. I can almost do that with my eyes closed, now, but it started with YouTube videos illustrating what to do.
Tommyaweej

Post by Tommyaweej »

Just bought a pcx and noticed when pulling off vibrations go up, what could be wrong?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

I’m starting to wonder if our group’s good nature has attracted some trolls. If not - in this case - take it back where you bought it.
Tommyaweej

Post by Tommyaweej »

springer1 wrote:I’m starting to wonder if our group’s good nature has attracted some trolls. If not - in this case - take it back where you bought it.
Not a troll just bought the bike second hand and first bike
It is just before it pulls off
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Glazed clutch pads. It needs some quick takeoffs.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Glazed clutch pads. It needs some quick takeoffs.

Holding the front brake on when doing this helps too.

Dry road obv
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Tommyaweej wrote:
springer1 wrote:I’m starting to wonder if our group’s good nature has attracted some trolls. If not - in this case - take it back where you bought it.
Thanks Tommyawee for not taking offense. There's been numerous vague trouble posts from new subscribers, sorry I thought you may be one of them. Sounds like you received some good advice, let us know if these steps reduce / resolve the trouble after a bit of riding. Glad you joined the group !
Tommyaweej

Post by Tommyaweej »

springer1 wrote:
Tommyaweej wrote:
Thanks Tommyawee for not taking offense. There's been numerous vague trouble posts from new subscribers, sorry I thought you may be one of them. Sounds like you received some good advice, let us know if these steps reduce / resolve the trouble after a bit of riding. Glad you joined the group !
Not to worry
Will give it a go
It's my first pcx
Tommyaweej

Post by Tommyaweej »

springer1 wrote:
Tommyaweej wrote:
Hi
I have tried it and noticed this sound

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... yo_7jL5Z1V

Someone said bearings and another said normal

Any ideas?