New Member, New PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

New Member, New PCX

Post by HondaC110 »

Just purchased a new PCX150!
It's got about 400 miles on it now, and seems to be a great answer to some questions and needs I didn't know I had...
My little adventure started about 6 weeks ago while I was stuck in traffic in downtown San Francisco. The engine on my motorcycle was getting warm, and so was I. While muttering to myself, I considered my options, which included the SF Municipal Railway, which is slow, unreliable and filthy, or my car, which would be ridiculous...

A scooter!
And, since I wanted a decent dealer network, a Honda. The PCX seemed ideal, and so it has turned out to be. Great for shopping, getting around the City, and a little bit of fun as well. In 56 years of riding, it's only my second scooter, and I must say I am very much impressed! San Francisco's hills are absolutely no problem, and the little guy has proven to be every bit as handy as my jackknife.

I look forward to being part of this forum, and learning more about my new machine.

The motorcycle will now be used exclusively for the Sierras and the Pacific Coast Highway, which I'm sure suits it no end...

Jeff
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New Member, New PCX

Post by homie »

Hey Jeff! Welcome
You have a nice scoot brother and many miles of fun ahead. Sounds like you will be using the Honda Dealership for service that's cool. Not everyone has the time to tool their own. Unless something has changed you have a one year warranty and the first service coming up. They will dump the break-in oil and check brakes, valve clearance etc. Do get in there to maintain your warranty but you should have no troubles. Got any accessories in mind or do you like it stock? Hows the saddle feel on the old padunkadunk? Have you ever felt so nimble on a motorbike? Did you get a brake lock or no? 87 octane only holms. Are you keyless?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Scooters are indeed a fantastic solution for the commuter. I will say I am jealous of you Californians and your legal filtering. Probably makes the commute that much quicker
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

Thanks!
There is a local dealer that I will be using for the first service. The 600 mile service for the 2019s has changed far as I can tell. Much different from the 2018s. All they do is check the idle speed and change the engine oil, according to the manual. Already changed the oil at 300 miles, and will do it again at 600. Just something I do with my bikes, I guess...always have. The oil that came out had a nice pearlescent sheen to it, which makes me glad I changed it. The first real service is at 4000 miles, by which time I should have a shop manual.

My only small complaint so far is that because the wheelbase is so short and the bike is so light, San Francisco's streets do no provide a smooth experience. Just the nature of the beast...
The little thing is really nimble, as you mentioned. And in an urban environment that translates to pure luxury.

Jeff
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

The rear shocks are trash, look at getting a good set like this, they mount easily and trust me, the inner city ride is much nicer:

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-pcx150-yss ... 8-883.html
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

As Paul says I'm jealous too for the idea you can skirt traffic like that.

Some other FYI for new owners on steep grades.
Be aware the clutch drops out at exactly 9 mph on PCX. If you coast without clutch engaged not using engine braking down the streets of San Fran you will find the brakes are 50 percent less effective at the bottom and that's a disturbing realization the first time. Avoid rolling off the top without throttling up and engaging the clutch before you blast thru cross traffic at the bottom wondering why the brakes are so hard to stop the bike.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Jge64 wrote:The rear shocks are trash, look at getting a good set like this, they mount easily and trust me, the inner city ride is much nicer:

No doubt there are aftermarket shocks that are adjustable & better - but the oem units do perform well for riders of certain weights & riding styles. I’m 155 and they do fine for me & the riding I do. But obviously not for everyone.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

springer1 wrote:
Jge64 wrote:The rear shocks are trash, look at getting a good set like this, they mount easily and trust me, the inner city ride is much nicer:
No doubt there are aftermarket shocks that are adjustable & better - but the oem units do perform well for riders of certain weights & riding styles. I’m 155 and they do fine for me & the riding I do. But obviously not for everyone.
They were supposed to have improved the suspension with the '19 models - along with other things, seems the shocks are still poor.
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: silver

Post by vito »

I also just got my new 2019 PCX150 and thought the ride surprisingly nice, so maybe the suspension is better than in older models. I only have about 100 miles so far, and I'm averaging about 90 mpg, which brings a real smile to my face when I think of the 38 mpg I get on my Goldwing. The nimbleness of the PCX is amazing and I am finding this so much fun to ride that I can foresee the Goldwing getting a lot less use for anything in-town.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Hax
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by Hax »

The PCX is a great commuter and mine was one of my favourite bikes of the 30 I have had over the years! In the UK we have a 125 rather than 150 due to learner laws but there are no issues with filtering and so it was a breeze getting through traffic.
Mine was a 2017 model and I was getting 130mpg +! Unfortunately it was stolen and I am in the process of getting a Forza 300.