New belt making slight squeal low speed

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

accyuklad
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: black

New belt making slight squeal low speed

Post by accyuklad »

Mostly when I'm slowing down there be maybe 2-3 second squeal at around the 10-20mph mark

Old belt was very worn out and I fitted new belt and the variator did look a bit worn out didn't look shiny either

Is there a chance variator is causing the issue just strange since having oem new belt I got this problem but it not effecting me to get upto speed or anything
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New belt making slight squeal low speed

Post by Mel46 »

Did you replace the variator as well? If not, it will take the belt a bit of time to adjust to the grooves in the old variator.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
accyuklad
Regular User
Regular User

Post by accyuklad »

No didn't replace variator as I didn't realise till I changed belt so it seems that's on my list and my rear clutch bearing is knacked so after get that sorted sometime aswell
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The drive faces of the variator can get glazed with rubber, or the rubber on a variator may have gotten oils on it. I'd take them out and wipe the belt and variator faces with a dry cloth. Do not use oil. If you feel like using a bit of fluid to help scrub, use alcohol and make sure it evaporates before reassembly.

Make sure you tightened to spec and that your spacers are in the right place too. A loose belt from an improperly tightened variator can squeak.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
accyuklad
Regular User
Regular User

Post by accyuklad »

well person I brought from clearly never looked after it

as belt was ready to rip apart as it was cracked everywhere and wouldn't go past 60mph and variator doesn't look shiny as dots on it

clutch bearing is gone as it makes a noise but leaving it till it gets worse

going to do valve clearance next week

brought a replacement variator waiting till belt or clutch needs replacing saves me doing it more then once lol
retry
Year: 2014
Color: silver

Post by retry »

accyuklad wrote:Mostly when I'm slowing down there be maybe 2-3 second squeal at around the 10-20mph mark

Old belt was very worn out and I fitted new belt and the variator did look a bit worn out didn't look shiny either

Is there a chance variator is causing the issue just strange since having oem new belt I got this problem but it not effecting me to get upto speed or anything
New belt is Geniune honda ?
retry
Year: 2014
Color: silver

Post by retry »

accyuklad wrote:well person I brought from clearly never looked after it

as belt was ready to rip apart as it was cracked everywhere and wouldn't go past 60mph and variator doesn't look shiny as dots on it

clutch bearing is gone as it makes a noise but leaving it till it gets worse

going to do valve clearance next week

brought a replacement variator waiting till belt or clutch needs replacing saves me doing it more than once lol
Clutch bearings will make noise again after 2-3 months after replacement, so just replace them 1 time a year :) known problem. You have 2 choices order from Parktzilla Driven face set for 45$+10 pound dhl will charge you for import tax. Or you can buy bearing set from ebay for 18 pounds and hammer them out and put new ones in :) In 4 years i changed them 5 times, always did order from partzilla, but last time decided enough is enough and replaced just bearings, it was very easy . But be careful if you go for option 2, inner bearing has very thin outside wall and rubber ring, so be very gentle not to bend, because you will get friction between rubber seal and needles inside.

Belt in bad condition has no effect on the speed of your bike, probably your rollers did wear off and lost weight, so your max speed reduced :)
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

retry wrote:
accyuklad wrote:as belt was ready to rip apart as it was cracked everywhere and wouldn't go past 60mph...
Belt in bad condition has no effect on the speed of your bike...
A worn belt will absolutely limit top speed.

The sliding half of the pulley on the variator can only move a limited distance. As the belt wears and becomes thinner, it will ride lower in the vee formed by the two halves of the front pulley. The position of the belt on the rear pulley is determined by the tension of belt which is a factor of its length and where it rides in the front pulley. A worn belt results in a numerically higher gear ratio which limits top speed.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

A worn belt will absolutely limit top speed.

+1

That would be the first thing I would change if my top end started going down.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kyjoka
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by kyjoka »

maddiedog wrote:The drive faces of the variator can get glazed with rubber, or the rubber on a variator may have gotten oils on it. I'd take them out and wipe the belt and variator faces with a dry cloth. Do not use oil. If you feel like using a bit of fluid to help scrub, use alcohol and make sure it evaporates before reassembly.

Make sure you tightened to spec and that your spacers are in the right place too. A loose belt from an improperly tightened variator can squeak.
Can I have spec of screws at front and rear variator when tightened ?