New member, with a question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: New member, with a question

Post by Old Grinner »

If we ever move "up" to the Forza, it will not be for two up riding, but for my wife to ride while I ride the Goldwing. And while the PCX has no trouble keeping up about 55, there is no way I would venture onto Interstate roads or certain other highways, where the speed limit is 65 or 70 mph, and where traffic routinely is traveling 75 or 80 mph.
Yeah . . . there's a lot of that 75 to 80 MPH traffic around here also on the Interstates and other highways where the posted speed limit may be only 55 or 65. Nice to have a little more oomph when you need it to dodge a risky situation. :roll:

BTW I just noticed you are retired from Uncle Sam's Army.

Thank you for your service! :D

I was in for a bit in the late '70s but got released with an "Honorable" for medical reasons due to a bad back. I still remember the sign in the mess hall at Fort Dix that read "Take all you want but eat all you take". :lol:
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

Mel46 wrote:Cycleruss,

If you decide to try to improve the top end on your bike, here are some things you can do.

1. If your belt has over 5,000 miles on it your top end will go down.
2. The stock variator was chosen by Honda for economy, not higher top end. Buy a NCY variator and drive face.
3. You may as well go ahead and change your rollers as well. Get 13 gram rollers. They will improve your takeoff time/speed.
4. If you do not have any kind of windshield except that original excuse for one, buy at least a mid height one. It will divert some of the wind that hits your chest, which will improve gas mileage, top end, take off, and the battle of the love bugs.:-)

The best deal on NCY parts can be found a corsportusa.com

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-201 ... ke%3DHONDA
I ran it up today, wide open throttle. When it gets to 62-63, it definitely has a governer or rev limiter.
Have experienced that with some motorcycles that have rev limiters.
So that being the case. If I made any changes as you have mentioned.
It still may not work. Because the motor may be governed at a certain RPM, or speed. Not sure which.
Maybe if I ran it wide open while on the center stand. Then I may be able to determine if it is RPM governed.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Maybe if I ran it wide open while on the center stand. Then I may be able to determine if it is RPM governed.
Don't do that, just don't, not safe.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

vito wrote:where traffic routinely is traveling 75 or 80 mph......
.....you need something around 500-650cc
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

gn2 wrote:
You are probably right. When I had a Silverwing, 583 cc, I had no trouble reaching 100 mph and easily handled any Interstate. Maybe after the PCX we could look at the Burgman 650. Or possibly she will just want to stick with the PCX and limit where we take it. Without a doubt the PCX is a lot of fun to ride.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

gn2 wrote:
I had a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250 that would maintain 75-80 MPH on the freeway all day long and top out at just over 100 MPH. The little parallel twin sure did buzz and vibrate at those speeds, though.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Keep in mind that ALL PCXs have a governor that limits their top speed. There are ways to get around it though.

One of those ways is to replace the factory variator with a good aftermarket one that allows the belt to travel farther out on it, thus increasing top end without going over the factory set rev limit.

A second way of increasing stipend is a big bore kit (BBK) which is only something I would do if I loved to tinker with bikes just for the sake of it. A BBK could increase the CCs to 170cc. Not a bad trade off but it IS a light bike.

I changed out my variator, which allows my bike to top out in the mid 70s now, not because I want to ride on the freeway (which I have done on it anyway), but rather to help compensate for hills. You mentioned the drop in speed going up the hills. Here is your answer for that problem.

As far as buying her a Forza 300 later, you had better let her decide on that. My wife sat on one and her feet could not touch the floor (tiptoes only). The seat is wider than that on the PCX. If she goes through the Motorcycle safety course she may prefer a regular motorcycle once she learns to shift, plus Honda has a motorcycle that has an automatic. Something to think about later on.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

As far as buying her a Forza 300 later, you had better let her decide on that. My wife sat on one and her feet could not touch the floor (tiptoes only). The seat is wider than that on the PCX. If she goes through the Motorcycle safety course she may prefer a regular motorcycle once she learns to shift, plus Honda has a motorcycle that has an automatic. Something to think about later on.[/quote]

Good point. Right now I am just trying to get her to have the confidence to ride the PCX. She is still having a bit of trouble with inadvertently rolling the throttle on rather than off when reaching for the front brake (I have been trying to get her to keep her wrist down so that the palm naturally rolls the throttle closed when reaching up for the brake lever). Once I finish the parking lot "lessons", my plan is to take her on a planned out 9 mile course through quiet neighborhoods near where we live, with her leading at her own pace and me "blocking" behind her on the Goldwing. Once she can do this comfortably a few times, I will encourage her to go for the DMV test to get her actual motorcycle license. Way down the road we will face the need, if ever, of what bigger bike to get her.

I'm a firm believer in a graduated sequence of bikes for anyone. When I was riding a 500 pound motorcycle, a demo ride on a 900 pound Goldwing was more than intimidating, despite having over 25 years of riding experience at the time. But I ended up going from a 500 pound bike, to a 750 pound bike (only a slight learning curve) and then two years later, again took a demo ride on a Goldwing. By then, the size and weight of the Goldwing was not that big a change, and after having demo rode a top of the line Harley tourer, a touring BMW, and a Victory Cross Country Tour, the Goldwing took all of 30 seconds to convince me that it was the bike for me. My wife might well go through an equivalent process, going from the PCX to a bigger scooter, and then possibly on to a mega scooter or a full fledged motorcycle. Time will tell, and the journey is exciting to look forward to.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Jge64 wrote:Look for aftermarket windshields here, the Honda windshield just isn’t very good and it’s exorbitantly expensive.
I agree on the cost of the Honda tall windscreen, but I disagree about its performance. What is it you don't like about it?
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

When I bought the PCX the dealer did not even mention that Honda makes a different windscreen. Is it worthwhile, and what does exorbitant cost mean?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

vito wrote:When I bought the PCX the dealer did not even mention that Honda makes a different windscreen. Is it worthwhile, and what does exorbitant cost mean?
I think here in the US the cost is around $300. o_O (probably why it wasn't mentioned!) I paid ~$200 shipped for mine from Webike, so it wasn't that much more expensive than NC's. The only two that are made from polycarbonate (Lexan) are either Honda's or National Cycle's, so those are the only two brands I'd consider.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

One thing that may benefit your wife is adjustable brake levers. I have them on both of our bikes and they are great. My wife has much smaller hands than I do, so she had a problem reaching the levers. They can be gotten almost anywhere online. Here is an amazon.com link. I bought mine elsewhere, but they do the same thing. They were probably a little less expensive. I can't remember.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GFHNBZ2/ ... UTF8&psc=1
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers