Losing oil?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Losing oil?

Post by homie »

See... here's the thing, you can't go back and properly break in the rings on a cylinder that's glazed and polished by gaseous explosions with conventional motor oil. You have one window of importunity for that and if missed you would have to replace the rings and deglaze or hone the cylinder. Don't use synthetics in a new engine until 1500 miles or more and don't baby the engine on break-in. Accelerate-engine brake, accelerate-engine brake for the first 50 miles.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by outlander »

I double checked the oil, the last oil change I did switch to full syn.
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

yea, My bike always has half of 800ml that i put in at every oil change. But it runs fast and like a champ. Im planning to change oil every other month.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

At 28,000 miles, I'm still using the mineral oil that Honda is selling and I didn't find any significant decrease in oil level at every oil change (every 6 months).

I might start using Fully Synth soon though.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I am not losing my mind, I've posted about the same issue before and it looks like I am not the only one. I am at 6900 miles, the service is at 7500 miles. I checked my oil using the correct procedure in the service manual and the dipstick is not showing any oil reading.
If I were you I would change the oil now and start using 10/40 rather than 10/30. Also check the air filter to see if there’s any evidence of oiling from the breather. Then I’d check the oil every 500 miles or so and simply add some if needed.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Riding "a lot at WOT"....look at dipstick before ea. ride. Then relax and enjoy your ride! We're just talking a few seconds here...
It's a great scooter.
Fish
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

im planning to pull engine out. and rebuild head with valve job and valve seals. I will also change head gasket and piston rings. and piston too. Easy job for me.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote: Owners that gripe and refuse to look at a dipstick or oil window are amazing.
Amazing. 20 seconds.
Fish.
Great to know I'm amazing.
Think I checked the oil in my Forza about three or four times in 30-odd thousand miles.
And that was when doing oil changes.
Never lost any between changes.
Never let it idle before riding off, start and away every time.
Engine still running perfectly when I sold it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I never check mine either. I change it every 6 to 9 months, and if there is not any on the ground in my parking stall, that’s good enough for me. My Bikes are always relatively new, so I know they’re not burning oil.

I Will give a look, if I’m taking some long trip across the state before I go.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012

Post by Scoot Commute »

My 2012 PCX from new used to "consume" (no smoke or leak) oil at an annoying rate requiring v frequent checking, perhaps every week or so needing topping up. I think the first owner used to idle the scoot for battery condition and had v few kms on it when I bought it.
I service the scoot myself and years back changed the oil to a heavier standard 10w/40 motor oil which still persisted for a short time to consume at slightly reducing rates.
Basically at 4,000km onwards I started ridding the PCX a lot harder fearing it may have a glazed bore.
Halleluiah, not long after the oil consumption steadily reduced to almost zero...….make sure you don't nurse the PCX or allow to have extended idle periods.
I am up to 20,000km now and have a regained love for what is a v sweet scoot in great condition, currently I may be adding a very acceptable 80ml of oil between services.
cstruck
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by cstruck »

check to see if the dipstic is cross threaded
Marko

Post by Marko »

I have not seen anything in my Portuguese manual about using any specific type of oil for the break-in period. Use what Hond put in it when they built it, they know more about what type of oil to use than any of us on this forum will ever know.
I changed my oil at 1000Km (600 miles) and then every 8000Km (5000 miles) as per the manual. I use full synthetic car oil, it seems to do the job just fine.
I check the level every 2000Km. Sometimes it's OK, other times I've had to add a small amount, although it's always been on the dip stick.
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad