Checking Valve Clearances WITHOUT Removing Body Panels

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

RobV
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Checking Valve Clearances WITHOUT Removing Body Panels

Post by RobV »

Secure the front wheel. Make it good. The rope is going to take a bit of weight.
Secure the front wheel. Make it good. The rope is going to take a bit of weight.
b_IMG_20191025_132008_resize_3.jpeg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Hang the rear of the PCX over the table & lower the engine etc.
Hang the rear of the PCX over the table & lower the engine etc.
b_IMG_20191025_132031_resize_76.jpeg (104.65 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Easy access to heads.
Easy access to heads.
b_IMG_20191025_132102_resize_6.jpeg (87.84 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
I was inspired by a pic posted to this forum. It didn't come with further details but I gave it a go and it worked.

Step(1) You still have to remove the luggage box from under the seat, which is only a pain on mine because of a custom top box mount and a fit full of wires going into my top box.

Step (2) You'll need to remove the fuel line. There's a funny clip (built in little white connector/catch). Release the catch and the fuel line pops off the throttle body thing that would otherwise be called a carby.

Step (3) You'll need to remove the radiator overflow line from the top of the radiator- very easy.

Step (4) With the seat box out it's actually easier to remove the top shockie mounts than the lower ones.

Presto, cylinder head swings into view.
Added bonus: During the same service we also replaced the clutch bearings & replaced the radiator fluid. We had full access to both ends of the variator, and the radiator - without taking off any additional plastic.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Checking Valve Clearances WITHOUT Removing Body Panels

Post by you you »

Top quality discovery.

I wonder if you could do it on the ground and winch the rear of the bike up?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Brilliant! Thank you 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by cnikonpete »

Now that is one clever bit of information, thanks very much
RobV

Post by RobV »

you you wrote:Top quality discovery.

I wonder if you could do it on the ground and winch the rear of the bike up?
That's how it was done on the pic I saw on here, so yes. I'm not sure what they attached the winch to. With the weight still on the center stand I was a bit worried about what happens if you go too far, but it wasn't a problem (which wouldn't be an issue winching). I'm still surprised how easy it was however I'd recommend having an extra pair of hands on stand by.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I took my PCX to the dealers on Wednesday for a service. The manager asked me if I had ever had the valves checked, I said not to my knowledge as I've always taken it to them for servicing. He suggested it may be a good idea to have them checked, and quoted me $400 just for the valve check and adjustment, not including the service. I told him not to bother as my bike runs as smooth as a sewing machine, and I'm certain if there were valve problems they would have made themselves known. I guess the dealers have to make money, but I'd prefer they make it off someone else who may have a little more ready cash.
RobV

Post by RobV »

JohnL wrote:I took my PCX to the dealers on Wednesday for a service. The manager asked me if I had ever had the valves checked, I said not to my knowledge as I've always taken it to them for servicing. He suggested it may be a good idea to have them checked, and quoted me $400 just for the valve check and adjustment, not including the service. I told him not to bother as my bike runs as smooth as a sewing machine, and I'm certain if there were valve problems they would have made themselves known. I guess the dealers have to make money, but I'd prefer they make it off someone else who may have a little more ready cash.
Not necessarily John. As they wear, the valve clearances decrease causing them to not close fully which can cause them to burn out but it happens so gradually that by the time you notice symptoms it's likely you're looking at repairs rather than adjustments. I've seen posts where people have happily ridden 40,000km without a valve check but I'd be inclined to have them tested every 20,000 at least (owner's manual says every 12K). At 13,000km mine were just outside the specified tolerated range. $400 sounds outrageous but although actually checking and adjusting the valves is a 5 minute job, following the manual, getting access to the heads is many hours work.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I understand what you are saying, but after five years on this forum, I don't remember many occasions where a PCX had a valve problem that proved fatal, and at 77 years of age even if I do nothing mechanically to my PCX it will still be going long after I've shuffled off this mortal coil :-)

My PCX still only has 13,000km on it, due to my fluctuating health, and believe me it's pampered.

I also have a lightweight Honda mower that is more than 20 years old and had very little love, but it still starts second pull every time. I'm a Honda fan.

I feel guilty now, so I'm taking the mower to the repair shop for a little love and affection. :D :D :D :D
ChuckD
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by ChuckD »

RobV... thank you!
2017 PCX150
RobV

Post by RobV »

It's not the years, it's the mileage JohnL :-) I'm currently 56 but the war wounds stack up after a while. In the mean time I expect to do about 20,000km per year which includes at least one 400km round trip each month which is why I'm a bit OCD about servicing. I'd revisit the topic once yours gets close to 20,000km. If you're both still going strong maybe you should plan for the next 20K. My theory is that riding keeps you young.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JohnL wrote:I understand what you are saying, but after five years on this forum, I don't remember many occasions where a PCX had a valve problem that proved fatal, and at 77 years of age even if I do nothing mechanically to my PCX it will still be going long after I've shuffled off this mortal coil :-)

My PCX still only has 13,000km on it, due to my fluctuating health, and believe me it's pampered.

I also have a lightweight Honda mower that is more than 20 years old and had very little love, but it still starts second pull every time. I'm a Honda fan.

I feel guilty now, so I'm taking the mower to the repair shop for a little love and affection. :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: