Centre Stand

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Centre Stand

Post by Anfield800 »

Sorry if I'm being lazy, I'm sure I've read a post about removing the centre stand but I can't find it,

As a biker, the first thing I do with any new bike is remove the centre stand. They typically weigh ridiculous amounts and I never use them. Some catch the road when leaning the bike right over.

As this is my first (modern) scooter, can anyone tell me, what does the centre stand weigh and does it affect ground clearance?

Thanks,

Lee
More than two wheels is too many.

dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Centre Stand

Post by dasshreddar »

I took my center stand off :o ... It weighs maybe 2 pounds with bolt/pin, yes it does scrape the ground if you lean far enough.
However I'm keeping the stand and bolt, for working on the scoot.(just slide the pin/stand in the hole and stand it up(you don't need the spring to do this)).
And for those who don't like the scraped up look of the "feet" of the center stand, black spray paint works wonders 8)
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

Thanks for the reply.

I'll keep it, I'm sure, but I've got a good stand so won't need it to work on the scoot.

2lbs isn't a lot but it all counts.

Lee

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Leave it on, 2lbs is naff all and the side stand is shite.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Centre Stand

Post by SmellyTofu »

Losing 2lb yourself might be easier. For me, I'd rather lose the side stand.
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

What's wrong with the side stand?

Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Nothing wrong with a side stand except when you’re on a hill…

I always use the center stand on my other bike, but on the PCX I always use the side stand. A would-be thief may not know there’s a kill switch on my side stand, and it may make the difference in his success.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I thinks it's a nice touch to have both. If you want to remove one that's fine. I wouldn't personally remove the main stand as the side stand is a bit of a risk on windy days
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My center stand broke off -- Honda USA thinks there was a crack in it from the factory, but they replaced it free of charge. Yay awesome warranties!

There's a pin, you remove the pin and slide the bar holding the centerstand off. Easy enough. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Anfield800 wrote:What's wrong with the side stand?
The PCX is light weight with a big surface area, could easily be blown over in high winds.
Can't leave it in gear either which makes parking on a slope more difficult.
The centrestand is your friend, learn to love it ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

Well, I'm always open to new ideas (just ask Mrs Anfield800), so it looks like the centre stand has a reprieve.

The PCX is purely my commute workhorse so I can't see me getting my knee down that often.

Thanks for the input.

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you drag your knee it'll be because you're having a crash....
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

gn2 wrote:If you drag your knee it'll be because you're having a crash....
Ouch
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

How I imagine myself or anyone else looking whilst knee dragging on a scooter:
1078046-draggin_knee.jpg
1078046-draggin_knee.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The PCX is a great commuter, you're definitely right about that. I have dragged my centerstand though, and I use mine as a commuter as well. Even though you use it as a commuter, if you never use the centerstand and find yourself dragging it, you may change your mind one day. The noise it makes when dragging is pretty awful. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

True story, one dark night after getting off work i was balls tired and wasnt paying attention like i should have...i was really tired after working 12 hours, i was setting the center stand down and my foot somehow was right under it as i set it and it smashed the hell out of my big toe. i thought i had broke my toe it was extreme pain, bloody and cut...the only thing that saved me from really hurting it was that my driveway is gravel. if it was pavement i shudder to think how bad it could have been. so be careful when putting your centerstand down. it was my very foot i was using to put the stand down with, just somehow ended up right under the stand.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

happyscooter wrote:my foot somehow was right under it as i set it and it smashed the hell out of my big toe.
:o o_O o_O

OUCHOUCHOUCH I can't imagine how bad that would hurt. I've had my foot run over by a car before, and I still think that would hurt worse, especially with how much force it takes to put the bike on the centerstand. o_O
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

MD, your pic of the kneedragger in the playground is priceless! :lol:

Happyscooter, I’m not comparing your pain to my embarrassment, but once after dismounting in a very public parking lot I put my foot on the centerstand to move it down, and the stand slid through a hole in the sole of my shoe. :o The bike and I both wobbled while I tried to regain my balance, while I struggled to unthread the curved end of the stand out of my shoe. :? Fortunately we didn’t topple over. And luckily the ordeal was over and I got both feet on the ground before I drew a crowd. :oops:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
happyscooter wrote:my foot somehow was right under it as i set it and it smashed the hell out of my big toe.
:o o_O o_O

OUCHOUCHOUCH I can't imagine how bad that would hurt. I've had my foot run over by a car before, and I still think that would hurt worse, especially with how much force it takes to put the bike on the centerstand. o_O
Car. By my dad. Didn't hurt

Mainstand by my wife. Hurt a bit

Sidestand on a kawasaki ke175 by a friend during the late 70s was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced!!