She is back in shape!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ricklaugh
Year: 2013
Color: Black

She is back in shape!

Post by ricklaugh »

Have you ever just wanted to paint your bathroom, and before you knew it, you had painted the whole house? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought a used 2013 PCX 150 for $1,000.00. It came with some parts: belt, variator, rollers, filters, etc. So, I took it down to the Honda dealer. He put her in shape for me - fluids, filters, installed parts, etc. - for $400.00. I thought I was good to go!

Then I wanted a top case. Installed a Givi B47 case with E126 light kit.

Then those tires begin looking a little worn. You guessed it - new Michelin tires.

Well, all of this talk about YSS shocks - poof - new shocks.

And last, but certainly not least, I just ordered a National Cycle tall windshield.

So, my bargain scooter ain't such a bargain anymore! Haha!

But, she sure is pretty and rides like she's new!

Well, now that you mention that seat...….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(my apologies, first time posting pics. Will learn how to rotate them.)
Attachments
IMG_20200403_114007803.jpg
IMG_20200403_114007803.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 2398 times
IMG_20200403_113953280.jpg
IMG_20200403_113953280.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 2398 times
IMG_20200403_113942940.jpg
IMG_20200403_113942940.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 2398 times
IMG_20200403_113933501.jpg
IMG_20200403_113933501.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 2398 times
IMG_20200403_113923538.jpg
IMG_20200403_113923538.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 2398 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: She is back in shape!

Post by Mel46 »

Wow! Well at least everything has been done now...aside from that seat. :cry:

Many riders don't see a need to improve their ride, but I would venture a guess that most of the PCX owners on this forum have made improvements to theirs.

I have two 2013 models and I have modified the heck out of them so that they are much more comfortable, much more visible, and definitely have the REQUIRED upgrades to Michelin City Grip tires. I think you will be quite happy with you bike...until you learn about increased speed with modifications to the variator and rollers...uh, did I say that outloud? Oops.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Curious. Seriously....
Do the aftermarket shocks make the scooter no longer ride like a scooter - or are they just for show?
I ask because everything I've read which was written by guys who race scooters in a serious manner - say they change almost nothing in the ride.....While guys who spend the $$ on them now think they do.
Kind of a financial placebo effect.

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

"CheekySeats" sell a variety of seat covers for scooters.

Since yours is a 2013 with the "hump" they offer a padded seat cover that will make your ride more comfortable . . . at least according to them. You have to remove the "hump" to install it.

Here's a link to their website. They are nice people to work with. I'm hoping they make a cover for the newer model Zuma 125. When they do I'll buy one. :D

https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... 73l8npj8b7
ricklaugh

Post by ricklaugh »

Thanks Mel! Yes, love those City Grips! I wouldn't have the confidence to ride at highway speeds without them. Not that I do a lot of that anyway. I did other stuff too:. Valves, spark plug, painted the muffler, front and rear brakes, new coolant reservoir, etc. She is in pretty good shape.

Fish, good point. I wouldn't know a good shock from a bad one. Bikerbitz recommended a few that would fit my 2013. This one wasn't the least expensive, but it was next. It was labeled "Best Seller" on the website. So I said, "heck, thats good enough for me," and ordered it.

I am not crazy about the little silver cannister up top. It supposedly is adjustable, but I don't know how. I will probably start a new thread to learn more. At low speeds, it's pretty firm. But, I must say, on my 20 minute trip on the interstate between 60 - 65 mph, she was very steady. I have owned a Honda Silverwing 600 and Yamaha Majesty 400. I was quite impressed with the PCX 150 at 60mph. Great little scoot!

Thanks gentlemen.
Last edited by ricklaugh on Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricklaugh

Post by ricklaugh »

And thanks Old Grinner, I will check them out.
ricklaugh

Post by ricklaugh »

Fish, more to your point, I bought it used with 16,000 miles. And it's seven years old. I rode it very little before replacing the shocks. So, I really can't offer a good comparison for you. It was more due to the age and mileage - and reading about YSS on this stinkin' forum. (Haha)
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Old Grinner wrote:"CheekySeats" sell a variety of seat covers for scooters.

Since yours is a 2013 with the "hump" they offer a padded seat cover that will make your ride more comfortable . . . at least according to them. You have to remove the "hump" to install it.

Here's a link to their website. They are nice people to work with. I'm hoping they make a cover for the newer model Zuma 125. When they do I'll buy one. :D

https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... 73l8npj8b7
Absolutely - I had one of their covers on my old 2013. It was beautiful. Black with red stitching. De-humping is a very simple procedure. Unbolt the hump from underneath, fill the holes with some foam - some folks sand the hole area down a bit to flatten further. I then used duct tape and some thin foam to cover and blend in the area. Didn't take very long.
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by xixon »

Being 6ft 4" the hump was literally a pain in the butt....I'm very happy with CheekySeats....I bought the most expensive one with the extra padding....well worth the money
Attachments
P7080045.JPG
P7080045.JPG (155.44 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Fish,
I have adjustable shocks on my bikes and they make a real difference in comfort while riding. Mine are Takegawa Lowering shocks, but they are still adjustable.

If you are comparing shocks as a bike racer, I really doubt that you would notice the difference in comfort. The same applies to dirt bike riders. Their butt doesn't touch the seat that often, or if it does, they are not concentrating on how comfortable the bike is.

Scooter riders, on the other hand, want comfort. They don't buy a scooter to race it. They buy it to ride around town, to go to the store, to go on leisure rides. On scooters, adjustable shocks are essential for comfort.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I have replaced the shocks on my PCX and my Xmax with YSS’s....and it is not just a pipe dream that they work. Don't buy a pair just ‘cause they “look good”...that’s ridiculous.They make a HUGE difference over speed bumps and railroad tracks, both we have in total abundance down here in Florida…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Jge64 wrote:I have replaced the shocks on my PCX and my Xmax with YSS’s....and it is not just a pipe dream that they work. Don't buy a pair just ‘cause they “look good”...that’s ridiculous.They make a HUGE difference over speed bumps and railroad tracks, both we have in total abundance down here in Florida…
How about potholes? How soft can you make it feel? My bony butt tells me to get something so maybe the VIP seat I once had before with my other PCX. Although the 2020 seat is very different in cushion from my ‘17