GPS mounts

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

GPS mounts

Post by Shoe »

About to mount a GPS

I had a unit sitting around (Lowrance XOG) and tried to work it out. Not fond of the pedestal mounts (mostly do to vibration)

I took the original mount and burned a slot in both ends for a pipe clamp. That critter will sit center of the between the handlebar mounts and reduce vibration

Seeing the plug is not configured for other units like my phone, camera, ect.. I need to solder something and bring that up through the glove box. The feed to the XOG will be brought up right along with the brake cables on the starboard side.

working on it.....
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Re: GPS mounts

Post by Anfield800 »

I love a project.

I've been thinking that a 12v cigarette lighter socket is the most convenient and flexible. There's a step by step on here somewhere.

I bought one of these to mount my iphone as I use that as my sat nav;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buffalo-Pro-R ... 5d366b9f30
More than two wheels is too many.

Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

pretty creative, ain't we...lol

I'll try post some pics for the GPS. Sure it's not waterproof and needs to be removed, but the mount allows that. Now to work on a plug tail! Seems most use 5.4 V. I'd hate to blow up my camera!
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

I've tried using the satnav cases that clip on to bike/motorbike handlebars, (similar to the link above) but just can not see through the clear vinyl front because of reflections. It's not too bad in dull cloudy conditions, but on the rare day we get any sunshine I may as well do without.
At the moment I'm using the gps on my Nokia phone - keeping the phone in my jacket pocket, and using voice instructions only. She's got a lovely, soothing voice ...... that I don't really mind if I take a wrong turn ........... !