A Bad Idea

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Re: a bad idea

Post by vito »

I think too many riders, and car drivers as well, are trying to look ahead in the roundabout but also checking their rear. If you only focus on what's in front of you, and let the folks behind you worry about you, then it gets simpler. In fact, ignoring what is behind you is the key to handling the dense, crazy traffic of many big cities. You can drive yourself crazy trying to watch ahead and where you want to go while keeping an eye on your mirrors. If you ignore your rear, you can survive even Manhattan traffic just fine. That said, I would not take my scooter or motorcycle into some big cities at all, but will in my car.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I think too many riders, and car drivers as well, are trying to look ahead in the roundabout but also checking their rear. If you only focus on what's in front of you, and let the folks behind you worry about you, then it gets simpler. In fact, ignoring what is behind you is the key to handling the dense, crazy traffic of many big cities. You can drive yourself crazy trying to watch ahead and where you want to go while keeping an eye on your mirrors. If you ignore your rear, you can survive even Manhattan traffic just fine. That said, I would not take my scooter or motorcycle into some big cities at all, but will in my car.
I slightly disagree . . ..

The forward and peripheral focus in a rotary or roundabout is most important but I think a situational awareness of what is behind you is important as well. Think of it as watching a video in your mind of travel lanes forward and to the sides (depending) and taking "snap shots" of what's approaching from behind as a "just in case" measure.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I think you need to look forward and rear. I was sitting at a stoplight on my BMW 1200 In 2003, first in line at a light, it had just turned red. I took my eyes off of what was happening in the rear for one second and the guy behind me never saw me and kept coming at 40 miles an hour. To this day I have an artificial hip due to the situation, and lucky I didn’t lose my life. I will always look front and rear when I’m stopped, anywhere on the road.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

When I said stop looking to the rear I was not referring to when stopped. Of course when stopped you need to check behind you, and if on a motorcycle, stay in gear and ready to release the clutch and turn the throttle to move the bike out of harm's way. I was referring to when in a roundabout and moving.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I’m not hopeful that you lot will ever get the hang of it....
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Not sure who you are referring to. Personally I have no trouble with the roundabouts in my community, most of which are two lane rather than a single lane. Whether on two wheels or four I find the roundabouts generally more efficient and safe that having traffic lights at the intersection or four way stop signs.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

vito wrote:Not sure who you are referring to. Personally I have no trouble with the roundabouts in my community, most of which are two lane rather than a single lane. Whether on two wheels or four I find the roundabouts generally more efficient and safe that having traffic lights at the intersection or four way stop signs.

Not you obv :lol:
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

I have a friend that lives in a very large development that has " two lane roundabouts" about every 1/2 to 3/4 miles.
He likes them, and has to use them whenever He goes out to ride. He had a BMW R1200rt at the time and was complaining about the wear pattern of his front tire. The left side of his front tire was completely worn smooth. It was from his daily riding through the roundabouts. Rear was not affected that way. Personally, I don't care for them.
Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Re: A Bad Idea

Post by Testerpt5 »

the problem with roundabout is people not knowing the rules, know thw rules and its great