PCX 125 Died Mid Ride

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: PCX 125 Died Mid Ride

Post by iceman »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:If the engine stopps turning with the start button pressed, it would mean there is a strong mechanical resistance inside, likely a seized piston or broken rings, or something with the rod/valve. In either case, not good. Plug the spark plug hole with some newspaper and see if it shoots out, if you don't have a proper cylinder pressure gauge.
I believe it turns over with the start held in, stops when released. The video does suggest no sign of fuel ignition.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Lets make something clear since there seems to be confusion: If you are holding the start button and it's cranking, that does not mean its "running." If the bike immediately stops when you release the start button, it's not running at all. You are just cranking the bike on the STATOR. If it only "runs" while you hold the button, that is not "Running."

The video is hard to tell if you are pulsing the start button on and off. If its a constant push, and its cycling off and on, then you might even have a bad battery. Check voltage. After watching the video 10 times, looks like your battery is dead and when you open the Throttle body is releases a little combustion pressure.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
scootin
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by scootin »

Hi all, sorry for lack of replies over the past couple of days and thanks for continuing to troubleshoot and advise - in the video, I have the button pressed in the entire time, it is cutting out and restarting itself. I'll try and get a replacement battery to test and run the spark test as suggested previously. Sorry can't go into more detailed replies as using my phone to write. Thanks again for all the input, I'll go over everything again tomorrow morning before work.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Have you checked for a loose earth?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

scootin wrote:Hi all, sorry for lack of replies over the past couple of days and thanks for continuing to troubleshoot and advise - in the video, I have the button pressed in the entire time, it is cutting out and restarting itself. I'll try and get a replacement battery to test and run the spark test as suggested previously. Sorry can't go into more detailed replies as using my phone to write. Thanks again for all the input, I'll go over everything again tomorrow morning before work.
Get a volt meter and measure the voltage at the battery. Also while your cranking it. If you're holding it down and its chuggging like that then there is a good chance your battery is shot.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Wazzycabbage
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl white

Post by Wazzycabbage »

:D I'd check a few things , firstly I'll tell you why mine did similar thing.

Riding to work , lashings of rain previous, massive puddles and small rivers of water in places , about 6 inch deep maximum I would dare to troll through , slowly !! How ever the ones you don't see ,well the bike gets a undercarriage wash of sorts.

When this happened , I first thought ,nooooo the water has got into air box as it bogged down.

No this was not the case. This bike of mine is six years old and well, rubber degrades over time. This alongside not having a secure negative on battery ,caused the bike to fail to start.

Got bike home from work with mates van, next day. After trying for an hour to get it started at work , checking spark plug,using jumper box and such . To no avail. Put battery on charger. Full top up. Checked spark on plug. Was fairly weak !! Bought new boot , lucky it wasn't the coil with issue.

Spark improved. So had spark ,fuel , air whoop whoop she fired up stutter at first , let her idle fir twenty mins and she was purring sweet again.

So yes , take out spark plug after you've charged battery and if fuel splutters out of plug hole , you have no fuel blockage. Check spark plug for spark !! Check battery voltage!! Guaranteed you'll get it started again !! Hondas are hard to kill !! :D :D :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think I missed something in this conversation. Have you pulled the side cover and checked the belt? If it breaks there is a good chance that the bike won't run. In fact, if the belt shreds you will have pieces stuck in gearing, which will also stop the engine.

Bottom line: did you check the belt yet?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

Just do a compression test will tell everything about engine internals.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.