High beam is working, low beam is not working

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

High beam is working, low beam is not working

Post by 150pcxer »

So when I switched on the engine, the low beam is not working, which it usually should. The high beam is working.

I don't think it's the light bulbs, I suspect it is the switch since there was a time when I found it hard to press the switch to switch from low beam to high beam. It felt hard to press.

Currently, I am using a HS5 bulb, 12V 35/30 W

Is this a suitable bulb? Or would it run too "hot" and cause the socket to burn?

what is 35/30 W by the way?

Thank you all.
Red Thunder
Year: 2011
Color: red

Re: High beam is working, low beam is not working

Post by Red Thunder »

35 watts and 30 watts is the power the bulb uses/ puts out. like a light bulb in your house is 60watts or 100 watts.. If the switch was hard to push I would say it is the switch that is bad. You can spray some wd-40 on the switch button or some electrical contact cleaner and see if the button loosens up and is smoother. There may be dirt and grime built up and cause the switch not to work properly. If it doesn't work I would say the switch is bad.
35 watts is not too hot to burn the socket as long as the bulb and socket are installed properly to allow air to flow around the bulb and they are not touching anything that could melt.
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Red Thunder wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 am 35 watts and 30 watts is the power the bulb uses/ puts out. like a light bulb in your house is 60watts or 100 watts.. If the switch was hard to push I would say it is the switch that is bad. You can spray some wd-40 on the switch button or some electrical contact cleaner and see if the button loosens up and is smoother. There may be dirt and grime built up and cause the switch not to work properly. If it doesn't work I would say the switch is bad.
35 watts is not too hot to burn the socket as long as the bulb and socket are installed properly to allow air to flow around the bulb and they are not touching anything that could melt.
Nevermind the bulb and the socket it is attached to. There was no problem with the bulb and the socket there.

I'm wondering about the switch itself. The switch just beside the left handle grip. That was hard to push. It may seem like a dumb question, but could that switch be melted by the current, because of the choice of bulb I'm using? Or is it unrelated?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

your last comments - I would agree that it sounds like the handle bar switch is faulty - causing the lighting circuit to short out etc
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Yorkie150 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:21 am your last comments - I would agree that it sounds like the handle bar switch is faulty - causing the lighting circuit to short out etc
can the current melt the switch?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

yes...I would remove and check the internals of the switch ...may just be possible to clean it etc ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am a bit late coming into this conversation, but I think your model is a 2014 PCX, which still uses bulbs. (Later models have led lights).
I have a 2013 PCX and have HS5 bulbs, but I also have some led lights connected into that same circuit and nothing has blown yet, meaning that I doubt that the bulbs have caused the circuit to overload. Check the switch and the bulbs. Keep in mind that a 9 volt battery will work well to check the light bulb and the circuit. My switch works well, but if you want to check the switch find where the switch connects to the rest of the circuit, disconnect it and use a multimeter to check it.

It is not easy to change bulbs, but it might be easier than taking the bike apart to check the switch. Hope you have small hands. You have to reach up behind the light assembly, find the rubber protection cup over the bulb, move it out of the way, and turn the bulb base counter clockwise. It should come out. Just remember that the contacts are sideways to disconnect the plug from the bulb.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 150pcxer »

Mel46 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:41 am I am a bit late coming into this conversation, but I think your model is a 2014 PCX, which still uses bulbs. (Later models have led lights).
I have a 2013 PCX and have HS5 bulbs, but I also have some led lights connected into that same circuit and nothing has blown yet, meaning that I doubt that the bulbs have caused the circuit to overload. Check the switch and the bulbs. Keep in mind that a 9 volt battery will work well to check the light bulb and the circuit. My switch works well, but if you want to check the switch find where the switch connects to the rest of the circuit, disconnect it and use a multimeter to check it.

It is not easy to change bulbs, but it might be easier than taking the bike apart to check the switch. Hope you have small hands. You have to reach up behind the light assembly, find the rubber protection cup over the bulb, move it out of the way, and turn the bulb base counter clockwise. It should come out. Just remember that the contacts are sideways to disconnect the plug from the bulb.
yeah I've changed the light bulbs myself a few times now. I can do it in a few minutes now.

My way is to turn it clockwise, as I prefer to squat down and look at the bulbs at eye level, so that my eyes see the bulbs directly. It makes it easier for me to see what is happening when I turn it clockwise to loosen. But basically what you're saying is the same thing. Your anti-clockwise is my clockwise. Just a matter of where we are facing.