Full Synthetic Oil

General Honda ADV150 chat, questions about the ADV150, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Akram
Year: 2020
Color: Red

Full Synthetic Oil

Post by Akram »

Hi there! We don't have Honda engine oil where I live so should I use Mineral Oil or Full Synthetic oil? We have Motul and Shell Advanced available here. Thanks a bunch!
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Full Synthetic Oil

Post by mymitzi »

Any full synthetic is fine [recommended viscosity]
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I would not hesitate to use synthetic oil or mineral oil as long it is the same spec required in the owners manual. Syn Oil is great if you don’t want to change your oil for an extended period of time like 6000 to 12,000 miles. But either will work fine if you’re changing the oil on the regular intervals in the manual.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Akram

Post by Akram »

mymitzi wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:30 pm Any full synthetic is fine [recommended viscosity]
Thank you so much bro 😎
Akram

Post by Akram »

Jge64 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:04 pm I would not hesitate to use synthetic oil or mineral oil as long it is the same spec required in the owners manual. Syn Oil is great if you don’t want to change your oil for an extended period of time like 6000 to 12,000 miles. But either will work fine if you’re changing the oil on the regular intervals in the manual.
Thanks so much mate. So its safe to use either Mineral or Synthetic oil as long as I follow the specified intervals right? There is a misconception in my country that after 3000kms it's better to use synthetic oil. Thanks again..
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

You’re talking about a scooter where the RPMs are regulated by the CVT, not a full-blown race Formula One engine. Use mineral oil or synthetic oil in the right spec from the owners manual and change it at the right interval and you’ll be fine forever… Synthetic oil’s main benefit is you can go longer between oil changes. As easy as a scooter is to change, that’s not really a benefit you care about.

You don’t say what your country is, but using synthetic oil in a scooter, is the same misconception as running premium gas in a scooter. Both are absolutely not necessary. If synthetic oil is available and about the same price as mineral oil, I too will use it, but I don’t feel at all that it’s necessary. Actually right now I’m using mineral oil 10 W 40 from Amazon because a gallon was on sale. I change every 9 months regardless of the mileage. I use a Stahlbus oil drain valve which makes changes a five minute item.
Glen
Akram

Post by Akram »

Thanks so much! I got the point mate. I live in Bangladesh and minerals like Motul/Shell are readily available here. The owners manual recommends to use "SAE 10W30 Standard MB". So far I know that it's a Mineral oil grade. So was wondering whether its also safe to use Full Synthetic oil. Now I got the answer. Thanks again.. :D
BradB
Year: 2022

Post by BradB »

I am soon to do my first oil change on my 2022 ADV. i have done a good bit of reading about the oil for this scooter and advice is all over the place. Many say any brand name 10w30 is good. The manual, of course, recommends a Honda scooter oil, but it is not available here in NC. Not at the dealers nor on line that I have found. Most advice I have seen ignores one piece of the recommendation from Honda engineers in the manual. My manual clearly states that JASO MB oil should be used. The MA standard includes additional friction elements for use in motorcycles with a wet clutch. My Honda dealer sent me home with dino MA oil. JASO says it will negatively impact fuel mileage. The only MB oil I found was full synthetic Motul 10w30 scooter oil. It is expensive. I agree that full synthetic oil is unnecessary in this scooter but it was the only oil I could find that met the specs stated in the manual. Another interesting tidbit is that the manual does not state the spec for the final drive. Some say use the engine oil, others say you must use scooter transmission oil. The dealer did not know. I bought the service manual and in that it states to use the engine oil. FYI, that service manual has limited usefulness for me. It has good diagrams but very few directions how to do anything. It was crazy expensive. Speaking of expensive, the thieving dealer jacked the price from full list of $4299 to $6100 out the door with zero accessories.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Agree about the service manual......could be more helpful. Understand you want to "go by the Book" seeing how your new PCX is under warranty.
Bought mine [PCX] used with about 2100 miles on it, so warranty wasn't a concern. Used some left over Amsoil for my first oil change and Walmart
Super tech 10w30 fully synthetic since [the car variety] .....@ 5,000 mi intervals. Same in final drive. 72k........still running great. Hope this helps.
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

I hate to extend a dreaded oil thread...but I can't help myself :-)

There is no need for "motorcycle" oil in our CVT-equipped steeds. Scooters don't have a wet clutch so there are no friction modifiers required. Due to this, any car oil of the proper viscosity will work. There are a million opinions of which brand, synthetic vs. conventional, etc so I'm not touching that.

YMMV
dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
Carnage1300
Year: 2022 Adv150

Post by Carnage1300 »

Honda HP4M 10w-30 oil is what I found to meet the JASO MB rating from Honda

BradB wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:58 am I am soon to do my first oil change on my 2022 ADV. i have done a good bit of reading about the oil for this scooter and advice is all over the place. Many say any brand name 10w30 is good. The manual, of course, recommends a Honda scooter oil, but it is not available here in NC. Not at the dealers nor on line that I have found. Most advice I have seen ignores one piece of the recommendation from Honda engineers in the manual. My manual clearly states that JASO MB oil should be used. The MA standard includes additional friction elements for use in motorcycles with a wet clutch. My Honda dealer sent me home with dino MA oil. JASO says it will negatively impact fuel mileage. The only MB oil I found was full synthetic Motul 10w30 scooter oil. It is expensive. I agree that full synthetic oil is unnecessary in this scooter but it was the only oil I could find that met the specs stated in the manual. Another interesting tidbit is that the manual does not state the spec for the final drive. Some say use the engine oil, others say you must use scooter transmission oil. The dealer did not know. I bought the service manual and in that it states to use the engine oil. FYI, that service manual has limited usefulness for me. It has good diagrams but very few directions how to do anything. It was crazy expensive. Speaking of expensive, the thieving dealer jacked the price from full list of $4299 to $6100 out the door with zero accessories.
jimmyb
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by jimmyb »

I would advise AGAINST changing from a mineral oil to a synthetic, or vies-versa without an engine flush. Mineral oil will cause the synthetic oil to breakdown and loose its lubricity, this is a known issue, regardless of engine use.
Keep the rubber side down

Regards Jimmy B
Honda Forza 300 (2015)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I’d like to see a link on that… I’ve been changing synthetic and mineral oils for 20 years and never had a problem whatsoever. Usually it’s just pulling out the mineral oil that came with the bike, and replacing with synthetic, never a problem.

Besides that synthetic oil makers would have massive lawsuits on their hands if they caused problems when mixed with mineral types…
Glen