Bumpy Ride With New Tires

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Munions
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Bumpy Ride With New Tires

Post by Munions »

I recently replaced my front and rear stock tires with Michelin City Grip 2's and I'm a little concerned and confused.

I took the scooter for a few test drives all on paved roads. The first ride was noticeably bumpy / bouncy. I took both wheels off and reinstalled them again and the next ride wasn't nearly as bumpy, but it's still there. The bumpiness goes away after I go past 20MPH. I did put 2oz of balancing beads in each tire, and the old tires didn't have any beads in them or weights for balancing.

Is this just because they're brand new tires? Could the beads be causing the vibrations / bumps? I've never ridden on news tires before. These tires are definitely softer than the old ones which were dry rotted stock Dunlop IRCs. I topped both tires up with air before going on the second test ride. I heard it takes 50-100 miles to break in new tires.
Ranger2020
Year: 2021
Color: White

Re: Bumpy Ride With New Tires

Post by Ranger2020 »

New tire break in is to wear off mold release lube so tires grip properly. Ist thing I would check is proper inflation. Be sure to check pressures with cold tires, Is 2oz of beads proper for tire size? R20
Munions

Post by Munions »

Ranger2020 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:27 pm Is 2oz of beads proper for tire size? R20
I hope so. It's what was recommended in this video https://youtu.be/Bn5N_WT7eIs?t=895
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Try running on 2 pounds less than what the owners manual recommends for air pressure in each tire and see what that does. I guarantee the RIDE-ON is not causing any problem here. I’ve used the right amounts on five bikes and never had a problem.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Did anybody balance these tires with tire weights professionally? I don’t think you can ask the ride on product to do the total balancing job if they are severely out of balance.
Glen
Munions

Post by Munions »

Jge64 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:33 pm Did anybody balance these tires with tire weights professionally? I don’t think you can ask the ride on product to do the total balancing job if they are severely out of balance.
They've never been balanced before as far as I know. There were no beads or weights present when removing the old tires.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Take the wheels back off and go to a dealer/shop and have them balanced. Why do you have them off by some wheel cleaner from Amazon or somewhere and clean the wheel, much easier with them off the bike.
Glen
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Very unusual to get PCX tyresbalanced - never seen any with weights on either. They should be ok but others have posted issues with fitting or just faulty / fake tyres. Still like the original MCG's so no issue going with them over mark II's.
Munions

Post by Munions »

iceman wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:30 am Very unusual to get PCX tyresbalanced - never seen any with weights on either. They should be ok but others have posted issues with fitting or just faulty / fake tyres. Still like the original MCG's so no issue going with them over mark II's.
Do you think the beads are what's causing the vibration? I was able to ride it around my driveway at a few mph and didn't notice anything. It's primarily when I'm going straight down the road at 5-15 MPH and then it goes away after I exceed 15 MPH. I really want to ride, but I'm nervous. I can't really afford to take it to a shop since they want hundreds to do the job.

I bought the tires from RevZilla.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

It does not cost “hundreds” to balance the tire/wheel. It takes five minutes and I doubt it’s more than $20 a wheel.
Glen
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Some times the tire isn't "beaded" properly. There should be a line around the circumference of the tire, about an 1/8 inch from the rim. Make sure
that it is a consistent distance from the the wheel, all the way around. [Check both sides]. If the line varies you'll need to reseat the tire on the rim.
Lube the bead [both sides,if needed] and reinflate. Make sure the rim is clean where the bead makes contact, also.
Munions

Post by Munions »

mymitzi wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:51 pm Some times the tire isn't "beaded" properly. There should be a line around the circumference of the tire, about an 1/8 inch from the rim. Make sure
that it is a consistent distance from the the wheel, all the way around. [Check both sides]. If the line varies you'll need to reseat the tire on the rim.
Lube the bead [both sides,if needed] and reinflate. Make sure the rim is clean where the bead makes contact, also.
Actually, I did notice an inconsistency in the bead line on one side of my rear wheel when holding a light to it and spinning it very slowly. I'll take it apart tomorrow and reseat it. Fingers crossed that's all that needs to be done.
Munions

Post by Munions »

mymitzi wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:51 pm Some times the tire isn't "beaded" properly. There should be a line around the circumference of the tire, about an 1/8 inch from the rim. Make sure
I reseated the tire and this fixed the issue. Thank you so much.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Good Job.!............Thanks for the comeback...........might help someone else.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

The City Grip tires have harder sidewalls and you'll feel more of the bumps. I ran them 30 front and 28 rear and it feels smoother. However do this at your own risk especially if you tend to ride long distances at higher speeds. I ride in a urban environment with only short blasts up to 80ish and usual speeds of about 40-50 kph.

I'm now on Pirelli Angel Scooters and these tires are much softer and cushier. Only bad thing is these takes forever to warm up even in 35C weather.