Seat uncovered

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Seat uncovered

Post by maddiedog »

That'll be a WIDE, comfy seat when it's done. Thanks for the update. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

My seat is back from the upholstery shop, the cost for that was $180. This was for new custom molded foam and new vinyl covering. The seat-to-ground height is now about 27 1/4 inches. The part where I sit is now wider and much more comfortable than the way it was originally. I tried it out riding on the driveway but didn't take it out on the road yet, still too much snow and ice. The seat seal and latch line up fine, it is still easy to open and close and not that much storage space was lost underneath. I'm happy with the results. The total cost was about $260.
tn_PCX seat 005.JPG
tn_PCX seat 005.JPG (19.54 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
tn_PCX seat 009.JPG
tn_PCX seat 009.JPG (21.52 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
tn_PCX seat 010.JPG
tn_PCX seat 010.JPG (32.1 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Excellent! Sounds like a winner for you! Total cost might seem high but what the hell...in exchange for comfort and touch down? Worth the time and every cent (imo). When all this crappy snow/ice/sand disappear maybe you can update us again after a ride. Is the seat a lot wider where your bum sits? Do you sit more forward on the seat than on the stock seat? We know you're gonna flat foot now :D Indy's glow-ing!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

Took my PCX out twice on the weekend, even though the temperature was only in the 20s. I was only able to ride for about an hour each time before becoming too frozen, but so far the newly improved seat is everything I hoped for. I can flatfoot with both feet at the same time, the part where I sit is wide and comfortable, and I now feel like I am in control of the bike instead of just teetering on top of it hoping it won't fall over and crush me. Well worth the money spent on it.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

did you adjust the handlebar to accommodate a lower seating position?
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

The only things I adjusted were the mirrors. The handlebars seem fine the way they are, but when it warms up and I start riding for hours at a time might be when I'll notice adjustments have to be made. Or not.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Indyglow wrote:The only things I adjusted were the mirrors. The handlebars seem fine the way they are, but when it warms up and I start riding for hours at a time might be when I'll notice adjustments have to be made. Or not.
Great mod that has worked out well. A proper job
dinamasu

Post by dinamasu »

Post Re: Seat uncovered
My seat is back from the upholstery shop, the cost for that was $180. This was for new custom molded foam and new vinyl covering. The seat-to-ground height is now about 27 1/4 inches. The part where I sit is now wider and much more comfortable than the way it was originally. I tried it out riding on the driveway but didn't take it out on the road yet, still too much snow and ice. The seat seal and latch line up fine, it is still easy to open and close and not that much storage space was lost underneath. I'm happy with the results. The total cost was about $260.
For all the work that was involved that is a bargain price. I have had a few Rick Mayer seats done for my motorcycles and they run from $400 to $600 each.
My custom seats are more for comfort than anything since 700 mile days were the norm until the past couple of years. I have cut those miles down a lot lately.
I have a 26 inch inseam. At times I have to dismount to back up my motorcycles since I can only get one foot firmly on the ground. I have a been riding for quite a few years now.
I would probably have done the seat lowering if I had just started riding. I think I rode a Honda 185 for years before progressing to bigger bikes. (I think the PCX150 is heavier and has more HP than that old Honda)

I will pick up my red 2013 PCX150 next week after the top box is installed. To get both feet flat on the ground to back up I will have to slide forward off the seat which is what I used to do on my Honda C70 Passport.

---
Don Inamasu
Northern California
---
Don "very short person" Inamasu
Northern California
2013 Red PCX150, 2005 Silver Moto Guzzi Nevada, 2007 BMW F650GS
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

Trying to move or hold up the PCX without having both feet flat was just too hard for me, so the cost of having the seat done was well worth it to me. My husband got a Corbin seat for his motorcycle and it was over $300, so my seat cost wasn't too bad. I thought the plastic altering part would be more expensive than the upholstering part, but it was the opposite. Hope you like your new PCX when it arrives!
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Indyglow, can you post the contact information on the company who did your plastic modification? I think the results were top notch.

Thanks in advance.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

My seat base was modified by

Wingard's Custom Plastics
5705 W 600 N
Shipshewana, Indiana (USA)