Coolant change help

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Coolant change help

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:I'm with GN2 on this one -- coolant is too essential to mess up, especially with how infrequently it's changed.

The first link is silicate free -- which is good. Like GN2 said though, it's organic and can get gummed up. Honda's extended life coolant (the stuff OriginalRocket mentioned) doesn't have that.

The second link you should ABSOLUTELY WRONG because it's silicate-based. It'll destroy your coolant system.

Just get the Honda brand coolant, it's the safest way to ensure you're okay, and it'll last for YEARS...

Your right the second one is silicate based. Avoid in your PCX

Ignore everything I say in future :oops:
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

maddiedog wrote:The second link you should ABSOLUTELY WRONG because it's silicate-based. It'll destroy your coolant system.
Ahh, I will drop that out the bike then, will just use deionized water and waterwetter till I can get some better stuff, Bike lives inside so freezing is not something that will happen.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Is this one silicate free and safe to use?
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/51748

I had to top up a bit and thinking of using the rest flushing the whole thing. It just says glycol based...
Thanks
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Here is the datasheet:
Castrol Motorcycle coolant:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusio ... 8S4N8F.pdf
gagazman
Year: 2016
Color: PCX Black

Post by gagazman »

I have a question regarding coolant, as a newbie. Can I do top ups using distilled water? Or do I have to buy the ready mixed stuff to top up?

Also, can you mix brands or do you have to flush it out? Thanks in advance guys ;)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

tomtomclub2005 wrote:Is this one silicate free and safe to use?
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/51748
I had to top up a bit and thinking of using the rest flushing the whole thing. It just says glycol based...
Thanks
That is fine and is used by Honda dealers - that's what they had on their shelf and what they advised me to use.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gagazman wrote:I have a question regarding coolant, as a newbie. Can I do top ups using distilled water? Or do I have to buy the ready mixed stuff to top up?

Also, can you mix brands or do you have to flush it out? Thanks in advance guys ;)

If the fluid level has fallen slightly and there are no leaks just use water.

Bring it on :D :D :lol:
gagazman

Post by gagazman »

OK so, I have added some distilled water which I was robbed for at Halfords. I have had the PCX for less than 2 weeks. I have no maintenance skills so what has caused the water to drop? Use? High speeds? Did the dealer not fill it up correctly?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gagazman wrote:OK so, I have added some distilled water which I was robbed for at Halfords. I have had the PCX for less than 2 weeks. I have no maintenance skills so what has caused the water to drop? Use? High speeds? Did the dealer not fill it up correctly?

Who knows. Keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

gagazman wrote:OK so, I have added some distilled water which I was robbed for at Halfords. I have had the PCX for less than 2 weeks. I have no maintenance skills so what has caused the water to drop? Use? High speeds? Did the dealer not fill it up correctly?
This is common on a new PCX. As the stretchy parts of the cooling system break in the level in the reservoir will drop slightly. Nothing to worry about. Happened with mine too. Just Bring it up to the right level when it's cool, and it should stay there after the system is fully broken in.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

If you've got nice soft tap water just use that. It's just as good. The south of England turn the inside of your kettle to a furball stuff I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPad
gagazman

Post by gagazman »

honkerman wrote:
This is common on a new PCX. As the stretchy parts of the cooling system break in the level in the reservoir will drop slightly. Nothing to worry about. Happened with mine too. Just Bring it up to the right level when it's cool, and it should stay there after the system is fully broken in.

Thanks Honkerman
;)
gagazman

Post by gagazman »

Alibally wrote:
If you've got nice soft tap water just use that. It's just as good. The south of England turn the inside of your kettle to a furball stuff I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks Alibally. We have soft water up in the north. So i can use our tap water? Cool 8)
pcxn125
Color: poseidon black

Post by pcxn125 »

Hi, I have honda pcx 125 and this came from japan. So I want know if i’m Going to change Coolant what should I do... must completely remove existing coolant? Currently i’m In Sri Lanka in SL I can only buy wurth, motul, castrol, mobile brand.. so what is the best brand should i buy? And these any coolant should mix with water before put into radiator