How-To: Fix a Flat Tire

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

How-To: Fix a Flat Tire

Post by fish »

Geared up for a 37`F ride at 6 AM today. (pitch dark for another 1.5 hrs)

Checked the oil, started it and rolled out the LIKE200i. "Feels like a brake may be lightly dragging..."**
(for those, like me, who refuse to read through long posts: **What I did wrong was not put weight on rear tire to check its shape before riding off. Brakes weren't dragging - tire was going flat!)

A mile and a half later I make a turn into a church lot to check things. Rear wobbled BIG TIME when I made the turn.
"Shoot. I know what that is - had it 4 years ago on the Forza - rear is going flat!"
I carry a plug and air kit in ea. scoot. The LIKE200i has the Stop & Go plug kit, and a Slime air pump.
Too cold and dark to mess with it here - esp. since I notice my R Gerbing heated glove has quit again!.
Ride slowly home, by His Grace no cars closed on me on this 50MPH State Rt.

Several videos show how to use this plug kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtphCgcnDVs
The screw was in the center of my Michelin rear tire.

Remove screw.
Ream hole.
Insert pointy bit w/shank.
Unscrew & leave in shank.
Insert plug in gun tip. Lube lightly.
Screw gun and shank together.
Pump handle to push plug through shank and tire until no more movement.
Pull out the tool.
Pull an inch or two on plug to insure seating.
Trim it off and air it up.

"Your father's brother is your uncle!"

The Slime pump aired tire quickly. (comes with cigar lighter, battery tender, and alligator connections for every kind of voltage hook up; plus pressure gauge pen)

Took longer to read instructions than to fix the tire. See no leaks, will check again in a few hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1075-Standard-Plugger/dp/B0018EUDHW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546870426&sr=8-3&keywords=stop+and+go+tire+repair+kit

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: How-To: Fix a Flat Tire

Post by Mel46 »

I must say that I have never seen a kit like that. It is great to have an all-in-one tire repair kit.

Something to think about: When I had to Slime my lawn Tractor tire the container said that you couldn't use it below a certain temperature. I know that it isn't the same thing, but I wonder if your kit has any temperature restrictions. It would not be good to be caught out in the cold and not be able successful with the kit.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:I must say that I have never seen a kit like that. It is great to have an all-in-one tire repair kit.

Something to think about: When I had to Slime my lawn Tractor tire the container said that you couldn't use it below a certain temperature. I know that it isn't the same thing, but I wonder if your kit has any temperature restrictions. It would not be good to be caught out in the cold and not be able successful with the kit.
"Slime" is the brand of the electric air pump I carry.
Like all such pumps - just don't over heat it.

If it's really cold - best to keep the plug in your mouth to warm it up - just like winter fishing with worms!
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I bought one of those Stop n Go tire plug kits a long time ago. :D

Use it only once so far. . .. 8)

That said, and for anyone out there not familiar with these tools, don't ever hold that tire plug gun up to your face like aiming a hand gun and press the release tab . . . the rod is spring loaded and will come back and put a big hole in your eye. . .maybe some brain damage too. Don't ask me why I thought of this. . .. o_O

Safety First as they say! :roll: :lol:
100_5530a.jpg
100_5531a.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I was thinking more along the lines of any lubrication or sealer that might go with the kit. Ever try to squeeze TOOTHPASTE out of the tube at 0° ? It doesn't work. (We had to try that experiment in the South Pole, though it might have been a bit colder than that.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Here's an alternative - specifically made for MCs/Scooters and bicycles. Gets rave reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultrali ... B00B7FC4DI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I was thinking more along the lines of any lubrication or sealer that might go with the kit. Ever try to squeeze TOOTHPASTE out of the tube at 0° ? It doesn't work. (We had to try that experiment in the South Pole, though it might have been a bit colder than that.)
My kit came with a small bottle of oil.

In the video link Fish provided the lady mentioned you could use a drop of motor oil in a pinch to lube the plug before inserting it into the tire plug gun.

I can't remember if I ordered the CO2 cartridge tire inflation kit separately or not (it was quite some time ago) but I found I had one stored in the tire plug kit pouch. . .much to my surprise actually. :o

I must be getting old .... :roll:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/stop-go ... gJmS_D_BwE
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Old Grinner wrote:
My kit came with a small bottle of oil.

In the video link Fish provided the lady mentioned you could use a drop of motor oil in a pinch to lube the plug before inserting it into the tire plug gun.

I can't remember if I ordered the CO2 cartridge tire inflation kit separately or not (it was quite some time ago) but I found I had one stored in the tire plug kit pouch. . .much to my surprise actually. :o

I must be getting old .... :roll:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/stop-go ... gJmS_D_BwE
My sealed bag of plugs had some lube in it and covering the plugs. I added a touch more after loading it.
Made my full coffee village run today - tire is sealed nicely it seems. Have NO plans to replace the nearly new Michelin. My happy speed is 33>40MPH....so, it's not an R6 mixing it up on ta SoCal freeway......or worse - a Florida freeway!
Fish
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

springer1 wrote:Here's an alternative - specifically made for MCs/Scooters and bicycles. Gets rave reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultrali ... B00B7FC4DI
+1 great tool.
More from their website: http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html
I own their moto size, truck size and bicycle, and have the same Slime portable air inflator as fish's.
All my vehicles have air inflator's (different types) onboard.
I've yet to use the dynaplug. Thank you :P but I'll be prepared
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

fish, it's best we move this thread to our How-to board, it's helpful and will be easily accessible. We will of course change the threads title. Perhaps to this:
How-to: Fix a Flat Tire

By the way, You're far from dumb.
Should "I" tell a story or two? Lol

Edit: WN
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

My sealed bag of plugs had some lube in it and covering the plugs. I added a touch more after loading it.
Made my full coffee village run today - tire is sealed nicely it seems. Have NO plans to replace the nearly new Michelin. My happy speed is 33>40MPH....so, it's not an R6 mixing it up on ta SoCal freeway......or worse - a Florida freeway!
Fish
Sounds like you are "good to go". 8)

I only had one puncture repair ever fail on me in all my years of riding. Long story short, it was while riding out west through Indiana in a rain storm on Rt. 70. I was with my college club at the time and we fortunately were prepared with a contingency plan for any foreseeable problems . . . and a backup car with a trailer. :lol:

That 40 MPH pace is just right. Not too fast . . . not too slow. Keep the coffee pouring. :D
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

Has anyone tried "FLATOUT"? It's supposed to be added to the tire BEFORE a puncture, to seal it if it does happen. ??
https://shop.flatouttire.com/collection ... an-formula
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150