I added a light weight Lithium LIFEPO4 battery (2022 PCX)

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Emax22
Year: 2022
Color: White

I added a light weight Lithium LIFEPO4 battery (2022 PCX)

Post by Emax22 »

One of my favorite upgrades on my other bike (2013 Ruckus) was adding a light weight Lithium battery to it. The price these days is pretty similar to the less reliable, heavier oem led acid battery. I’m including images of the oem (2022 pcx) battery & an image of the new battery, both pics show them on a scale. Also I’ll include a pic of both batteries side by side and a screen shot of the battery I purchased. I found a 10% off coupon online, which is likely still available.

The weight savings is 3.746 lb’s and the service life is multiple times higher vs led acid. The install was simple, it fit just like the oem one.
Attachments
IMG_1873.jpeg
IMG_1873.jpeg (157.6 KiB) Viewed 340 times
IMG_3776.jpeg
IMG_3776.jpeg (665.13 KiB) Viewed 340 times
IMG_3775.jpeg
IMG_3775.jpeg (329.66 KiB) Viewed 340 times
IMG_3777.jpeg
IMG_3777.jpeg (253.92 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Re: I added a light weight Lithium LIFEPO4 battery (2022 PCX)

Post by Conelite »

I wouldnt consider this so much a performance mod. Are you saying the couple Lbs shaved from the battery make it faster?
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Emax22

Post by Emax22 »

Conelite wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:40 pm I wouldnt consider this so much a performance mod. Are you saying the couple Lbs shaved from the battery make it faster?
Yes, absolutely. it does improve the performance of this bike, not only in a slightly improved power to weight ratio and the advantages that come with that, but also, most notably in reliably and more effectively powering the bike. Another factor is the voltage is about 10% higher, so things running off of AC power, like the (dim) headlights, are brighter, the usb-c charger, charges with higher power.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

How are you observing the Voltage increase??
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Emax22

Post by Emax22 »

Conelite wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:49 am How are you observing the Voltage increase??
With a voltmeter.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Not sure lithium are more reliable - my original gel battery (2014 PCX) lasted 10yr's without ever having trickle charge or such and the bike is out all weathers (albeit with a light weight cover). Newer batteries seem low quality judging by how many have early failures.

The issue with lithium is it could work one minute and die the next, whereas Gel batteries usually give you an indication they are getting tired or other issue.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

Personally, I prefer original battery. Still have my original Factory Battery in my 2017, never trickle charged and sometimes sits for months without starting. To say Lithium is a performance mod is a stretch. You will never see faster acceleration or better top speed. Might maintain a steadier voltage at best, but it will not net more "Performance."

Not worth swapping if you don't need a battery but its a good price if your current battery is dead.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Emax22

Post by Emax22 »

iceman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:10 pm Not sure lithium are more reliable - my original gel battery (2014 PCX) lasted 10yr's without ever having trickle charge or such and the bike is out all weathers (albeit with a light weight cover). Newer batteries seem low quality judging by how many have early failures.

The issue with lithium is it could work one minute and die the next, whereas Gel batteries usually give you an indication they are getting tired or other issue.
It is true that lithium cells maintain a high operating voltage unless they get down low, say 15%, then the voltage drops off exponentially. This battery does have a voltmeter on it, easy to check if you e er feel the need. If a lead acid battery is at 15% you likely won’t be able to start it. I agree with your sentiment though. I have a lithium-ion battery on my Honda Ruckus. It has worked flawlessly for 4 years & 6,500 miles. Battery failures were often on the ruckus, the stator on it is not very powerful and the battery is quite small. The Ruckus does have a kick start though.
Emax22

Post by Emax22 »

Conelite wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:18 am Personally, I prefer original battery. Still have my original Factory Battery in my 2017, never trickle charged and sometimes sits for months without starting. To say Lithium is a performance mod is a stretch. You will never see faster acceleration or better top speed. Might maintain a steadier voltage at best, but it will not net more "Performance."

Not worth swapping if you don't need a battery but its a good price if your current battery is dead.
A 1.35% weight reduction is not nothing. In a 1/4 mile run you will see a quantifiable gain. Sure it would be small. Same goes for handling and stopping. A similar % reduction on a 4,000 lb car would be equal to a 30 lb reduction. I remember the days I’d pull the back seats and spare tire out of my Nissan Maxima for track days. Those weighed about 30 lb’s. Though once you add a rider that percentage drops down a fair amount, so say .8%.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

My lithium shorai battery is still good at nearly 12 years after the purchase. The damage thing just doesn't want to die...