Forza 300 2020 won't start

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

D8veh
Year: 2020
Color: Silver

Forza 300 2020 won't start

Post by D8veh »

I haven't used my 2,000 mile from new bike over the winter. When I came to start it, it wouldn't start. Here's where I am now. I press the switch and it turns blue. When I turn it to the ignition position, the lights come on and the fuel pump charges. Shortly after that I get a key symbol flashing on the dashboard for about 2 seconds, then it goes out.

Is that symbol normal because I don't remember seeing it before?

The first time I tried it, the switch wouldn't turn because the battery in the fob was flat, but I assumed it was the bikes battery that was flat, so I disconnected it and charged it. When it still didn't turn, I got my spare fob, which worked OK, except no start. I replaced the battery in the other fob, and it now operates the switch.

There is no sign that the starter relay tries to operate. The battery is charged and I've had jump leads on it too, just in case.

Yes, the sidestand is up and I hold the brake, but what I'm getting is the same as if I hadn't.

Can anybody help?
D8veh

Re: Forza 300 2020 won't start

Post by D8veh »

OK, I've got a stage further now. It starts randomly, but I can't figure out why. I tried banging the sidestand, starter switch, relays and fuses, but it makes no difference, then I go back after a few minutes and it starts. It's sitting on its centre stand. When it starts, I leave it running for a bit, then switch off and try again, and it doesn't start. One time it wouldn't start, I noticed that the seat wasn't fully down, so I clicked it in and the bike started on the next press, but I can't repeat that.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

D8veh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:35 am I haven't used my 2,000 mile from new bike over the winter. When I came to start it, it wouldn't start. Here's where I am now. I press the switch and it turns blue. When I turn it to the ignition position, the lights come on and the fuel pump charges. Shortly after that I get a key symbol flashing on the dashboard for about 2 seconds, then it goes out.
Results of an engine search:
"The key symbol flashing on the dashboard of your 2020 Honda Forza 300 indicates an issue related to the key or the smart key system. Let’s explore the possible reasons and solutions:

Battery in the Key Fob:
When the key symbol flashes, it usually means that the battery in your key fob needs replacement.
Try replacing the battery with a new one and see if the issue persists1.
Smart Key System Malfunction:
If the battery replacement doesn’t resolve the issue, there might be a malfunction in the smart key system.
Visit an authorized Honda dealership to have the system checked and repaired.
Remember to consult your owner’s manual for specific details related to your scooter. If you’re unsure, it’s always best to seek professional assistance."
D8veh

Post by D8veh »

airhead83 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:45 pm
D8veh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:35 am I haven't used my 2,000 mile from new bike over the winter. When I came to start it, it wouldn't start. Here's where I am now. I press the switch and it turns blue. When I turn it to the ignition position, the lights come on and the fuel pump charges. Shortly after that I get a key symbol flashing on the dashboard for about 2 seconds, then it goes out.
Results of an engine search:
"The key symbol flashing on the dashboard of your 2020 Honda Forza 300 indicates an issue related to the key or the smart key system. Let’s explore the possible reasons and solutions:

Battery in the Key Fob:
When the key symbol flashes, it usually means that the battery in your key fob needs replacement.
Try replacing the battery with a new one and see if the issue persists1.
Smart Key System Malfunction:
If the battery replacement doesn’t resolve the issue, there might be a malfunction in the smart key system.
Visit an authorized Honda dealership to have the system checked and repaired.
Remember to consult your owner’s manual for specific details related to your scooter. If you’re unsure, it’s always best to seek professional assistance."
Thanks for that. I already replaced the battery in the fob, and I have two fobs. It's the same with both. I can't get the bike to a dealer because it won't start. It does start occasionally, but not when I want it to.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

D8veh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:32 pm Thanks for that. I already replaced the battery in the fob, and I have two fobs. It's the same with both. I can't get the bike to a dealer because it won't start. It does start occasionally, but not when I want it to.
Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
The more advanced the technology, the more difficult it is to diagnose and repair.
I've given up on all attempts to work on my bike's electronics... which is the majority of the operating and ignition systems.
I'm afraid my knowledge, hand tools, and diagnostic equipment are 2 decades behind what's needed to properly work on modern vehicles.
And throwing new parts at electrical problems gets expensive in a hurry... since electrical parts can seldom be returned for refund or exchange.
D8veh

Post by D8veh »

I'm one step closer. The bike doesn't start when I operate the starter switch, but it does start if I put the ignition switch in the start position and jump the starter relay. Actually, this morning, it started with the first press of the button, but I couldn't get it to start again until I jumped the relay.

I therefore deduce that there's a problem between the start button and the relay, which means:
1. The starter switch or its connection is faulty.
2. The brake switches are faulty (not too likely because there are two and I can hear them clicking).
3. Sidestand switch or its connection is faulty.
4. Relay or its connection is faulty.
5. A fuse is blown.

I'll have to do a bit more investigating. Has anybody got a wiring diagram or a wiring teardown, so I can see where connectors are? I've wiggled and bashed every wire and connector I can see, but no joy so far.
D8veh

Post by D8veh »

I finally sorted it, thanks to the diagram and comments in this thread. Special thanks to Aguim:
viewtopic.php?t=8181

The problem was that I needed to hold the brake on much harder than before. There are two switches in the left brake. The first clicks on with minimal movement, and it operates only the brake light. The second clicks on when you pull the lever harder. Is it a hydraulic switch? Once I'd been out for a ride and used the brake many times, the second switch now seems to operate with much less pressure. Maybe it was a bit stiff through lack of use.

I can relax now. I was panicking because I needed it sorted out before my trip to the TT races in two weeks.