Sym Maxsym 400i ABS

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Sym Maxsym 400i ABS

Post by Cascanciu »

Taz wrote:The x10 350 won't be sold in oz, only the x10 500. The Maxsym 400i is selling well here at a great price. Any more feedback on the Maxsym or other mid sized abs scooter?
All I can tell you is that each and every one of ALL the reviews I've read on this mega scooter speak wonders about it. You can google "prueba Sym Maxsym 400i" and it'll come out with a good number of reviews from Spanish webs and publications, which you can translate afterwards via Google Translate, with decent results. "Motociclismo" even carried out a long-term test over +10.000 kms and were very pleased. No problems whatsoever. They stress the power of the engine, finish quality, fuel efficiency and the handling on the strong side, and they just complain about the rear suspension not being as confortable as expected, but not to a worrying level.

It's still my #1 option when I eventually decide to "step forward". BTW, I read a recent review on the X10 in which the journalist complained about the handling. Looks like the suspension is too soft and causes some unnerving movements on the front side when riding at motorway speed through bends.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I've read forum posts from owners who have nothing but praise for how the X10 handles.
Suspension on the X10 is adjustable, maybe the journalist just had it on the wrong setting?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:I've read forum posts from owners who have nothing but praise for how the X10 handles.
Suspension on the X10 is adjustable, maybe the journalist just had it on the wrong setting?

Maybe.In this particular test they confronted Kymco 300, Sym GTS300i, X-Max 250 and the X10. Winner was the Sym with the X10 trailing closely, and only second for the "bang for the buck" thing. Other tests I read also talked about soft suspension, which makes me think they're soft in general, regardless of settings.

The X10 is a superb scooter, don't get me wrong. It's just that, IMHO, it's a bit overpriced and a bit bulky. Wheelbase is longer than a Burgman 650 and it's quite wide. It's got, however, heaps of underseat space for storage and a sweet engine. I would chose the Maxsym over it for the bigger wheels, radial tyres, better handling and better price tag.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I would want to know more about the Maxsym's servicing requirements.
If other Sym scooters are anything to go by the X10 beats it hands down.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:I would want to know more about the Maxsym's servicing requirements.
If other Sym scooters are anything to go by the X10 beats it hands down.
Again, that's pretty subjective. Servicing requirements on the X10 require, IIRC, an oil service every 10.000 kms. Even if it's shorter on the Maxsym, you will afford the extra maintenance (plus insurance, plus registration, plus fuel, plus tyres...) with all you the money you save. If you do your own maintenance, then...

The only thing where I see the X10 beats the Maxsym (and not by much) is underseat storage and finish quality. Handling, performance... no way. But, you know, different strokes for different folks. Hope you get to buy your X10 and enjoy it. I plan on doing the same with the Maxsym, some day.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The X10 is the same price as the Maxsym here but the X10 is far higher specced and has far lower servicing requirements.
In a straight choice between the two in the UK market, the X10 is head and shoulders above the Maxsym.
Chances are I won't buy either, a Forza or an Xmax are more likely to be my next scoot.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I assume you mean the new Forza 300 and the X-Max 250. Hands down the Forza. However, if I were to choose a 300, I'd choose between the Kymco Downtown or Sym GTS (new model).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I've looked at the Sym and Kymco but they require far too much servicing.
There is also one major niggle with them (and Piaggios) which really gets on my tits, kph speedometers.
At the moment we're still waiting for a UK price and service schedule on the Forza but the Xmax is available brand new for under £4000 and used ones can be had for significantly less.
The valve clearance check interval on the Xmax is 12,000 miles, the Majesty 400 is 24,000 miles.
The Kymco remains a possible though because I really like the styling and an mph speedo should be available from the US model.
So maybe if I can find a very cheap used one.
Difficult though because there are less than a hundred of them in the UK.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have to admit that the picture of the MaxSYM 400i looks great. I don't know much about it. How high is the seat from the ground? Is it a Chinese scooter? I ask that because I have friends who have had Chinese scooters and had a tough time getting service outside of their area, like when they went on road trips and something happened. I have a Burgman 400 and my wife has a PCX 150, and both are serviced by the same dealer, plus we can get service almost anywhere we go. I live on the outskirts of Atlanta and we drove to the Alabama border and back yesterday (142 miles round trip). We were stopped by multiple people to inquire about both bikes, but mostly the Honda, because Honda is a recognized name anywhere. That is something to think about if you plan on doing any traveling outside of your area.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Sym are from the Republic of China (Taiwan)
Not to be confused with the mainland People's Republic of China.
Sym are a well established brand, their stuff is generally rather good and reliable but finish isn't the best and the maintenance requirement is high.
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

First time i saw an x10 was when i pulled up next to one at the lights, 'looked good' i thought! Then it pulled off in front of me...with those (awesome looking) brake lights flashing like a disco the whole time i followed him, something very wrong with it and put me off somewhat.

I still went to look at it and it is a very nice vehicle but there were a few things i really didnt like, buttons on the lower dash are HORRIBLE, the round indicator lights etc on the top of the dash look cheap and i think the topbox was like £350!?! I really loved the seating position, glove box, led run light. I was amazed how it felt to sit on (in!), so much room and bike in front of you...it felt like i was sat on the bike from Akira!

After that i saw the Joymax 300 and again was impressed, it really is as good bike and the dealer was willing to fit heated grips and a top box for very little. Most of it looked much better than the x10 (dash, seat, quality) but the seating is VERY tight, less room than a PCX with no hump and the plastics are appalling...far worse than the old SYM GTS, dont know why there going backwards there?

Finally looked at the Maxsym 400...made the rest look like toys!! I would have walked out the shop with it there and then buuuuttt, ive only got an A2 licence so i can have the joymax 300 and the x10 (350cc) but not the Maxsym as its too powerful.

Now a few months on im thinking ''why the hell do i need anything more than a 125 when all the roads i use have 50mph limits''!!! £5000 to have more expensive tax, insurance, lower mpg?

I love nipping around on my pcx and im keeping it!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

£5k? I'm looking at a low mileage Audi TT as a runaround for less than that!!! 225bhp and boss full leather etc etc. Ffs
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Audi TT = poof's car.
Audi (all other models except original Quattro) = cars for cunts.
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

I was also thinking about what car i could get for £5000....think i would go for an A3 over a TT tho! Lets face it you will never look good on a scooter (maybe a good vespa on a sunny day) so it kinda defeats the idea of spending more on a scoot just because it looks good. This is why my top priorities are the look of the dash, reliability, the seat comfort and the storage.

After killing my Stilo im stuck with a freebie Ford Puma (yes someone gave it to me for free because Pumas are so cool!) so i carnt comment on TT's being a puffs car!!! :(

Have to disagree on ALL Audi's being for cunts, you can get an older A4 quattro for a couple of grand and have a hell of a lot fun without being cuntish. Think if they actually made scooters like BMW do i could be tempted....
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

ben wrote:I was also thinking about what car i could get for £5000....think i would go for an A3 over a TT tho! Lets face it you will never look good on a scooter (maybe a good vespa on a sunny day) so it kinda defeats the idea of spending more on a scoot just because it looks good. This is why my top priorities are the look of the dash, reliability, the seat comfort and the storage.

After killing my Stilo im stuck with a freebie Ford Puma (yes someone gave it to me for free because Pumas are so cool!) so i carnt comment on TT's being a puffs car!!! :(

Have to disagree on ALL Audi's being for cunts, you can get an older A4 quattro for a couple of grand and have a hell of a lot fun without being cuntish. Think if they actually made scooters like BMW do i could be tempted....

A VESPA??? Never looked good and never will!!
More than two wheels is too many.

ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Anything 'retro' the average person (aka car driver) likes, anything modern they dont. I would love something like a Piaggio, Vespa, Lambretta but my scoots a workhorse so i want reliability and functionality.

Vespas do look good...but then ive always liked the Fiat 126 too so my taste isnt the norm...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

ben wrote:ive always liked the Fiat 126 too so my taste isnt the norm...
There's an easy cure for that.
Buy one.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:Audi TT = poof's car.
Audi (all other models except original Quattro) = cars for cunts.
:lol: :lol: Honestly, I don't like the TT, but I couldn't imagine I would read, some day, someone calling it a "poof's car". Had heard that of the Mazda Miata-MX5, though.

I hope you have nothing against BMWs. I drive one, but it's a Diesel. Feel free to "shoot" ;) .
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Where I live you know winter has arrived when the ditches start filling up with BMWs.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
ben wrote:ive always liked the Fiat 126 too so my taste isnt the norm...
There's an easy cure for that.
Buy one.

Great cars - had a few