Alternator max load?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

CountOfFive

Alternator max load?

Post by CountOfFive »

Hi gang,

Thinking about getting a PCX150 (US/Canada version).

Would like to know about the max rating for the alternator.

The full load of a standard pcx150 with batt charging.

And whatever is left for after market electrical products.

Specifically amateur radio gear.

Would like to get a Yaesu FTM-10R VHF/UHF transceiver that uses about 6 amps
on transmit (at a safe 20 watts @ 2 ft. from antenna on topcase). It uses about
0.75A on receive and about 0.5A squelched.

Thanks,
Chris
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Alternator max load?

Post by cessna151 »

According to my service manual the alternator capacity is .343kW/5,000 rpm. That's the only relevant info i can find, hope this helps.
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

I'm no expert but are you not wiring it to the battery?
More than two wheels is too many.

CountOfFive

Post by CountOfFive »

cessna151 wrote:According to my service manual the alternator capacity is .343kW/5,000 rpm. That's the only relevant info i can find, hope this helps.
Assuming 12V that would make it 28.6A
Assuming 13.8V that would make it 24.85A

From what I've read, motorcycle systems are 12V rather than 13.8 like a car.

So, now I just need to know the watt or amp load of all on-board components to find out what is left when all the stuff is on.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone got a list of all components?

Thanks,
Chris
CountOfFive

Post by CountOfFive »

Anfield800 wrote:I'm no expert but are you not wiring it to the battery?
Not directly. I'll need a DC line filter in there to keep noise out of the radio.
Also, I assume I will not have to do it directly to the batt, but to a fused wiring harness of some type.

Also, if the load of the scoot gear and the radio combine to close to or more than the alternator max load the battery won't charge.
I need to make sure there is enough to power the scoot gear, radio AND charge the battery.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

CountOfFive wrote:Anyone got a list of all components?
2x35w headlights (always on)
2xfront running lights (always on)
1xtail light (always on)
1xbrake light
a number of panel lights
a speedo
an audible warning device
an ECU

Oh and a starter, but errr no, because the starter is the alternator or the alternator is the starter...

I'm sure there's more...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

CountOfFive wrote:Hi gang,

Thinking about getting a PCX150 (US/Canada version).

Would like to know about the max rating for the alternator.

The full load of a standard pcx150 with batt charging.

And whatever is left for after market electrical products.

Specifically amateur radio gear.

Would like to get a Yaesu FTM-10R VHF/UHF transceiver that uses about 6 amps
on transmit (at a safe 20 watts @ 2 ft. from antenna on topcase). It uses about
0.75A on receive and about 0.5A squelched.

Thanks,
Chris
What is your plan for the scooter? Are you using it for events or just want a radio on it?
K8YNO/jlhog
2013 Honda PCX 150
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

hook it up and see, get the volt meters out and see how its doing. i'de be interested to see if it all works
CountOfFive

Post by CountOfFive »

jlhog wrote:What is your plan for the scooter? Are you using it for events or just want a radio on it?
K8YNO/jlhog
Hi Jeff,

It will be my full time non-winter vehicle. As such I want it to have permanent vhf/uhf on there.

I'm liking many things about the PCX but I want to make sure it can run the rig without over taxing the system.

If I can swing it I'll probably have a dedicated APRS pinger as well. Otherwise a VX-8 for APRS.

Chris VA3CDG
CountOfFive

Post by CountOfFive »

happyscooter wrote:hook it up and see, get the volt meters out and see how its doing. i'de be interested to see if it all works
Don't have one yet. This will actually be a deciding factor. Normally it would not be an issue as I could get an after market alternator. But this bike has the alternator doing double duty as the starter by running power back through it.

Also...thanks for the list gn2
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Why not run it off a second battery?

You could then run a battery switch.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I'm going to just quote myself from another thread:

[quote=maddiedog]
The PCX was not equipped stock with even a 12v outlet. Short of changing the stock headlights and taillights out for LEDs, one could assume that ANY auxillary lighting or hardware past ~10 or 15w might be bad, but I think that's also a bit arbitrary.

The problem is, the bike pulls a lot of cranking amps when you start it. You don't charge much unless you're moving, therefore even with NO accessories, if you ride a scooter for half a mile a day every day, you'll likely drain the battery over time. On the other hand, if you commute 20 miles each way at 40+mph, you might be good using heated grips and some massive foglights. It's all about whether or not the stator can keep up, which again, is arbitrary and will vary with your situation.

I would monitor your voltage while riding, see if you drain, and keep adding watts until your power usage exceeds the charging capabilities based on your circumstance. [/quote]

Taking that further, with this being your primary vehicle, I'd imagine you fall into the latter category of riders described above (longer rides). 72w load temporarily while you're talking and 9w normal load while you're listening isn't horrendous. GN2 provided some GOOD numbers in his post. His numbers suggest you replace the headlights with LED bulbs, cutting the consumption there from 70w (2x35w) to less than 10w, making you completely safe with a 72w draw from your radio.

What will you use to talk from inside your helmet? I've always had a CB radio in my trucks or cars, and would LOVE to have that capability on the bike for long trips. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes