Urgent help needed!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ben
Regular User
Regular User

Urgent help needed!

Post by ben »

Hello all! After a couple of days of my bike feeling 'wobbly' kind of like a a slightly flat tyre i think my suspension has given up.

I thought it was my old front tyre, then steering bearings, then the rear wheel bearings but today i sat on it ride home and it felt like my arse hit the floor so i think one of the shocks have gone. Strangely i dont see any fluid from the shocks?!?

The main problem is i use my bike every day so need to get it fixed asap but if im replacing the shocks i would rather get some improved ones over the same stock ones but havent had any luck in finding something in the UK...

I dont care if its adjustable or the best just an improvement that i can get asap!

I'm still not 100% sure if it is the shock that has gone so if anyone knows how to check it would be helpful too...found it strange there was no fluid leaked that i could see?

Thank you!!!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Urgent help needed!

Post by you you »

ben wrote:Hello all! After a couple of days of my bike feeling 'wobbly' kind of like a a slightly flat tyre i think my suspension has given up.

I thought it was my old front tyre, then steering bearings, then the rear wheel bearings but today i sat on it ride home and it felt like my arse hit the floor so i think one of the shocks have gone. Strangely i dont see any fluid from the shocks?!?

The main problem is i use my bike every day so need to get it fixed asap but if im replacing the shocks i would rather get some improved ones over the same stock ones but havent had any luck in finding something in the UK...

I dont care if its adjustable or the best just an improvement that i can get asap!

I'm still not 100% sure if it is the shock that has gone so if anyone knows how to check it would be helpful too...found it strange there was no fluid leaked that i could see?

Thank you!!!!!

You have checked the tyre pressures?
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Yep the tyres are fine but the front is very old. The back end is really 'limp' so im pushing towards the shock problem...its literally unridable and had to nurse it home at like 20mph. The plan is to by new shocks then blags a lift from the AA to my dealer as i really carnt to the ride there as it is!
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

Measure the static sag. That's the difference in ride height with you on and off the scooter.
More than two wheels is too many.

trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

personally wouldnt waste huge money on aftermarket shocks, there was some stock ones on ebay i think,examine the shocks again,is there a cracked spring?
good luck
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Disconnect one shock at a time, and sit on it each time. If one shock feels the same as both/or worse, the shock/s are bad.
Or take them off and compress by hand, this should be hard to do if shocks are good...
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Is it difficult to remove/replace the shocks? Ive got plenty of tools but noting like a spring compressor.

Im tempted by the used pair on ebay for £45 and fitting myself, i could do with knowing the bike better!
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

Hi Ben did you check your tire pressure when the tires were cold?
isn't your bike still under warranty?
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

6 weeks out of warranty!!! :( Theres noting wrong with the tyres, fronts a bit old.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

What mileage is on the front tyre?
Has the back tyre been changed?
Was the wheel nut replaced and properly torqued?
Were the swingarm bolts properly torqued?
Have you put the bike on the centre stand and tried push/pulling the rear wheel sideways and the front wheel fore and aft to determine possible pivot bearing wear and/or correct adjustment?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Video of the suspension;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7qeEPt ... e=youtu.be

Front tyre is IRC at 12000 miles, problem started off as feeling slightly unstable like getting a flat so i thought it might have been the front wearing a flat spot or warped but its still legal. Ive got a City Grip on order anyway. Rear tyre has been on for a couple of months with no problems.

Tried the pushing pulling on the rear/front but it seems solid.

Maybe all the rain/snow ive been riding in may have washed any leaking fluids off?

Think i'm going to have to man up, limp it to the garage and let them look at it. I prefer to know the problem before i take anything in but with researching and the replys on here there's just too many variables. I havent found a garage i can really trust yet, my luck it will be a bearing or nut torque and they get me to buy and fit a pair of new shocks...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Go to Ye Olde Honda Shoppe in the high street and have a look at a new one, take it off the stand and sit on it, see if the suspension feels any different...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Just watched a video on youtube about how to remove the rear wheel and its actually a hell of a lot easier to get the shocks, swing arm, etc off than i thought. Dont know why i built it up to be such a big job, time to get the tools out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKGRtcZY ... =endscreen
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

gn2 wrote:Go to Ye Olde Honda Shoppe in the high street and have a look at a new one, take it off the stand and sit on it, see if the suspension feels any different...?
There are like 3 or 4 other pcx at work so i was hoping to talk to another owner but had no luck. Very good idea about going to a dealer, maybe a test drive is on the cards. Such a good idea i carnt believe i didnt think of it!!!

When you start 'noticing' how your bike rides its so easy to imagine problems, i thought it was all in my head as im a massive scooter hypercondricact!!!

Thank you all for your help so far!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Could even just be the cold weather making the roads that bit slippier.
The sag in your suspension doesn't look too excessive in the video but it's hard to tell.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ben wrote:6 weeks out of warranty!!! :( Theres noting wrong with the tyres, fronts a bit old.
Honda might still honour it. Why not take it to a dealer. They'll check it for nowt
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Ive got one shock off and it seems fine so far, where it attaches to the swing arm there is a rubber bushing or maybe a bearing thats solid? The shock flaps around a lot at the top now i took the bottom off but i would imagine thats normal.

Wish i knew more about scooters but im actually quite enjoying playing around with it. Always been put off thinking 'if it aint broke...' and with only 2 wheels if you do something wrong your in trouble whereas with a car you can get away with a great deal more.

I'll give my dealer a call and see what they say but im just really not happy driving it as it is in case i cause more damage or a wheel locks...

Heres a video of where i'm at anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBsfabrJig
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I saw your videos, the shocks compression and bushing seemed ok(from what I could tell).
But, when you "wobbled" it, I was thinking maybe the top 14mm nut on the shock/s has come loose.
You might be able to get to the nuts from under the bodywork.
I don't think you need to take your wheel off if there is no side to side play(wheel bearing)...
I would take the shocks off and inspect both of them, it's easy a 14mm nut and 12mm bolt holds them on.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Urgent help needed!

Post by Alibally »

I presume the back tyre is round with no flat spots or bulges. Spin the wheel up on the centre stand to check it.
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Thank you all for the help!

I have finally got a replacement front tyre (citygrip to match rear), had the rear removed/checked/refitted and all now appears well! Bearings are i little worn but ok apparently...may get replacements ordered if i can find some. Talking to the shop guy theres a possibility i had a heavy bump to the front tyre that sent it off a bit but who knows, is was 2 years old with 13000miles so it did well and should have been changed earlier i really.

Strange how a problem at the front feels like a problem at the rear!