Idle Stop Accident

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Idle Stop Accident

Post by haildamage »

went to the neighborhood izakaya (bar/restaurant) and the owner told me he had had an accident on his PCX. he was at the local chiropractor and was trying to push his bike and hit the throttle which engaged the engine as it was off in idle stop mode. the bike lunged forward and broke out a window pane.

he hurt his knuckles a bit but was wearing gloves and it did a little damage to the bike.

i thought you had to have weight on the seat or the engine wouldnt come on. i guess not...
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Idle Stop Accident

Post by Taz »

The underseat switch should stop this happening but some people disable it such as by taping it over especially if a light weight or if sitting a long way back on the seat. I sit a long way back on my humpless seat but added thick tape to ensure seat switch still activates the idle stop.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I discovered a while ago that I can get off and on mine with the engine running or in idle stop.
Ever since I have always turned the key before getting off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

haildamage wrote:went to the neighborhood izakaya (bar/restaurant) and the owner told me he had had an accident on his PCX. he was at the local chiropractor and was trying to push his bike and hit the throttle which engaged the engine as it was off in idle stop mode. the bike lunged forward and broke out a window pane.

he hurt his knuckles a bit but was wearing gloves and it did a little damage to the bike.

i thought you had to have weight on the seat or the engine wouldnt come on. i guess not...
Why was he pushing it with the engine running, that's kind of what the engine is for

Nothing is idiot proof.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i too thought the seat switch should keep it from going without weight on the seat. i will try it with my bike tomorrow. his bike is bone stock and he is not the type to have modded anything.

the engine was off but in idle stop, so when he was pushing it probably to back it out he hit inadvertently twisted the throttle, the bike started and lunged forward.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

haildamage wrote:i too thought the seat switch should keep it from going without weight on the seat. i will try it with my bike tomorrow. his bike is bone stock and he is not the type to have modded anything.

the engine was off but in idle stop, so when he was pushing it probably to back it out he hit inadvertently twisted the throttle, the bike started and lunged forward.
Mine, an esp125, doesn't have a seat switch
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

you you wrote:
haildamage wrote:i too thought the seat switch should keep it from going without weight on the seat. i will try it with my bike tomorrow. his bike is bone stock and he is not the type to have modded anything.

your location isnt listed. do you have an idle stop bike?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

haildamage wrote:
you you wrote:

your location isnt listed. do you have an idle stop bike?

England. Yes it's an idle stop bike, just no seat disconnect.
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

When I was researching the PCX last autumn, there was one on ebay where the owner had revved it in his gf's front garden and it went through their wooden fence smashing most of the panels.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Idle Stop Accident

Post by SmellyTofu »

My seat switch doesn't always work so the idle stop didn't work for a whole until I whacked the area where the switch is. However, I'm very cautious if the engine is running not to have my hands on the throttle if I want to push it for whatever reason like getting it off the centre stand
st3v4nt

Post by st3v4nt »

On PCX 150 Honda remove the seat sensor, so the idle stop will still engage when you get off from PCX.
Unless you turn off the PCX engine also.

Luckily whenever I do that (i.e opening fence to enter or leave home) I always use side stand.
Since PCX Side Stand have kill engine switch it also turn off the idle stop. So always make
sure you turn off the idle stop if you plan to push PCX around without sitting on PCX.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

you you wrote:

i suppose your bike doesnt need the seat switch since it has ESP to know when not to start. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

haildamage wrote:
you you wrote:

i suppose your bike doesnt need the seat switch since it has ESP to know when not to start. :lol:
Very good :D
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

maybe when he was pushing the bike the seat had something heavy enough to press the switch? otherwise the seat has sagged enough to always engage it.

the only time i need to push the bike is when i get home, i need my keys to open the garage door so the bike is off anyway.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

I see there are no Americans responding to this thread...

Unmanned flight isn’t a problem here in the US as we don’t have idle stop. Not only that, but we have a government mandated feature that doesn’t allow you to unfasten the seat belt until the key is removed from the ignition.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I didn't realise that the US model PCX had seat belts or central locking.
Must be quite some machine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

not sure what that switch under the seat does. my bike will start with a twist of the throttle from idle stop whether or not i am sitting on the seat. you should be sure to switch to idling mode when pushing the bike if you are too lazy to turn the key to off.
jeff spahn

Post by jeff spahn »

Urbanian wrote:I see there are no Americans responding to this thread...

Unmanned flight isn’t a problem here in the US as we don’t have idle stop. Not only that, but we have a government mandated feature that doesn’t allow you to unfasten the seat belt until the key is removed from the ignition.

Funny.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:I didn't realise that the US model PCX had seat belts or central locking.
First mod I did to mine was remove the beeping sensor and indicator that went off every time I forgot to put my seatbelt on. Can you believe they're talking about forcing us to retrofit airbags too? :lol:

Back on topic, couldn't that accident have been easily avoided by the key in the off position, killswitch engaged, or the idle stop off? It's unfortunate, and a good story to share so everyone with idle stop is more careful, but at the end of the day sounds to me like pure user error.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

maddiedog wrote:
gn2 wrote:I didn't realise that the US model PCX had seat belts or central locking.
First mod I did to mine was remove the beeping sensor and indicator that went off every time I forgot to put my seatbelt on. Can you believe they're talking about forcing us to retrofit airbags too? :lol:

Back on topic, couldn't that accident have been easily avoided by the key in the off position, killswitch engaged, or the idle stop off? It's unfortunate, and a good story to share so everyone with idle stop is more careful, but at the end of the day sounds to me like pure user error.
user error indeed, he was the first to admit that it was a careless and stupid accident. it sounds like something i would do! there is no killswitch on idle stop models (first bike i've ever owned without one). to prevent this from happening when moving the bike around you should either:

1. turn the key off
2. switch the idle mode to 'idling' do not have it in idle stop mode
3. put the kickstand down to engage the kickstand kill switch