GIVI mirror extension kit wrong threads

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ozzy7007

GIVI mirror extension kit wrong threads

Post by ozzy7007 »

Got a mirror extension kit with my Givi DS 323 wind screen, my PCX mirrors have left hand threads, the Givi kit I received is for right hand threads, Anyone else have this problem, does anyone know the email address for Givi..Ozzy
BarryPCX
Year: Forza 300 2018
Color: Blue

Re: GIVI mirror extension kit wrong threads

Post by BarryPCX »

On my PCX, one mirror has a left hand thread, the other right hand. This is so the force of the breeze when riding will tighten rather than loosen them.

Possibly (hopefully) your extension kit has one of each?

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Barry.
ozzy7007

Post by ozzy7007 »

I have the 2013 PCX 150, both mirrors are left thread, my kit has both right threads, talked to Givi USA, THEY SAY THEY ARE NOT MAKING THE KITS FOR THE 2013 PCX 150 as of yet..no help at all, they said good luck finding the left hand metric nuts and bolts. Ozzy
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

This is a bit weird. My UK 62 plate PCX has two right hand threaded wing mirrors. I'm sure because when I took them off I was drunk, so went back to check a couple of days later.
More than two wheels is too many.

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

For some reason, I'm thinking my PCX has threads in both directions. This is just silly, I wonder if different PCX models have different mirror types. I'll check mine and report back -- I recommend everyone doing the same (this includes you, you you, since you're one of the only active posters with an eSP. :P )
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I haven't checked ours yet but I can tell you that on the left side, if I bump the mirror while going toward the back of the bike, the mirror unscrews. My wife hates that because she will be riding along and the mirror will suddenly swing around toward her. We would then stop and I would take out my handy dandy 'multi-16ths' adjustable wrench and tighten it back down. Ours is a 150. Maybe it is different from the 125. I just went down in the basement and checked the right mirror. Pushing it in loosens it also. Everything is backwards! Going against the wind should tighten them, not loosen them!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

So can't you just swap the mounting threads over so they work correctly. Or I'm sure you can source reversed thread adaptors. The only time I need to adjust my mirrors is when someone, usually my kids, knocks them. Mine are non stock and on mirror extenders.
BarryPCX

Post by BarryPCX »

I need to correct my original reply, having just unscrewed both mirrors to double check for you.

On my PCX, which is a UK 125cc (non esp) purchased in August 2011:-

There are actually 2 parts to the mirror stalks. The lower piece is like a short male to female adapter (no jokes please).
On both mirrors the bottom male (adapter) thread which screws into the lever is right hand thread. The adapter
top female thread is left hand, the actual mirror stalk fits into this, obviosly left hand again.

Depending on which part you unscrew you assume the thread is either left or right hand (at least I did).
Looking at the mirror stalk gives the impression there is just one thread with a locknut.

My apologies for the confusion.

Now we know there is no great Honda global mirror conspiracy going on, this thread can be closed we can all be happy...
....or maybe not 8)

Cheers folks, have a great weekend.

Barry.
ozzy7007

Post by ozzy7007 »

Please note, I have a 2013 PCX 150, not a 125, US model, both of my mirrors , you turn left (counter clockwise) to TIGHTEN, that is called reversed or left hand threads, this also means that the right hand mirror will get loose from the wind while the left will stay tight in the wind, this is not rocket science, the kit made by Givi states that it is for the 2010 PCX 125 that had both right hand threads, so, I can't really complain to Givi, however when I did they were of no help at all. Further more, if Honda were on the ball with this issue, it would have made sense if they had made the right mirror right hand thread, and the left mirror left hand thread, this way they both would tighten in the wind. I have been looking for the left hand metric nuts and bolts, believe me, I haven't found them as of yet, maybe Honda will do a recall and fix the problem by making a right hand thread for the right side of the 2013 PCX 150, I can't speak for the other years or the 125cc...Looks as I may just have to live without the extensions, and I will just add LockTight (blue) to the threads, that will keep them tight , even in the wind, the problem without the extensions,is the mirrors hit the screen when I am moving the PCX around in the garage, they never hit the screen while I am riding..also, I can't complain about the extension kit, got the screen for $167 from PCA and the extension kit was free of charge. Ozzy
BarryPCX

Post by BarryPCX »

ozzy7007 wrote:Please note, I have a 2013 PCX 150, not a 125, US model, both of my mirrors , you turn left (counter clockwise) to TIGHTEN, that is called reversed or left hand threads, this also means that the right hand mirror will get loose from the wind while the left will stay tight in the wind, this is not rocket science, the kit made by Givi states that it is for the 2010 PCX 125 that had both right hand threads, so, I can't really complain to Givi, however when I did they were of no help at all. Further more, if Honda were on the ball with this issue, it would have made sense if they had made the right mirror right hand thread, and the left mirror left hand thread, this way they both would tighten in the wind. I have been looking for the left hand metric nuts and bolts, believe me, I haven't found them as of yet, maybe Honda will do a recall and fix the problem by making a right hand thread for the right side of the 2013 PCX 150, I can't speak for the other years or the 125cc...Looks as I may just have to live without the extensions, and I will just add LockTight (blue) to the threads, that will keep them tight , even in the wind, the problem without the extensions,is the mirrors hit the screen when I am moving the PCX around in the garage, they never hit the screen while I am riding..also, I can't complain about the extension kit, got the screen for $167 from PCA and the extension kit was free of charge. Ozzy
So I assume you don't have the standard "mini extension" pieces on the PCX150? If anyone does, you effectively have
a choice of both left hand or both right hand threads depending on which part you unscrew. Unscrew the mirrors and
extension pieces you have 2 right hand threads. Unscrew the mirrors leaving the extension pieces on the levers you have 2 left hand threads. Designs and suppliers for parts do change as we know, so the great mirror conspiracy
could be alive after all.

Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures of the standard mirror parts from mine. Even if it doesn't help you Ozzy,
it may help someone else. I am curious myself about all this. I may fit a screen on mine one day, and hearing about
all the potential permutations and problems would be a big help.

Cheers,
Barry.
ozzy7007

Post by ozzy7007 »

OK, Barry, sounds good, I will also post any additional info that I obtain. Ozzy from Ohio USA
ozzy7007

Post by ozzy7007 »

Going to take another look at mine after dinner, I hope I have the mini extenders that you mentioned, if so, that will solve my problem, Thank you for the info. Ozzy
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

My Givi 323 and kit came today. I have a 2013 PCX 150 (USA). My kit fit my mirrors. Did you take off BOTH hex nuts on each side? Loosen the top hex nut, take off the mirror, then remove the bottom hex nut which is actually a threaded spacer. The bottom one turns the opposite way of the top one. Then put the threaded spacer that you off the bike into one of the holes on the extender that came with the kit and thread the nylon nut that came in the kit onto the spacer.Then take the bolt that came with the kit, put it through the washer that came with the kit and put both through the other hole of the extender and attach it where your mirror was originally. Then thread the mirror back into the spacer. Done.
ozzy7007

Post by ozzy7007 »

Thank you Barry and Indyglow, thanks to both of you my problem is solved, after reading your post, I took a closer look, yes, I didn't know about the RISERS, I removed them, then bolted the EXTENDER in place of the riser, then bolted the riser to the other side of the extender, put the mirror back on, pulled down the black boot to cover the silver bolt, Done, The instructions that came with the kit didn't mention anything about the riser, I sure am glad you guys were here to show me the light, Thanks so much, Ozzy
BarryPCX

Post by BarryPCX »

Here are the pictures I promised earlier.

Adaptor/riser to handlebar brake lever right hand thread
Mirror to adaptor/riser left hand thread
Mirror and adapter/riser threads closeup
Mirror and adapter/riser threads closeup
P1000638small.JPG (305.95 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Mirror and adapter/riser
Mirror and adapter/riser
P1000639small.JPG (361.85 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Right hand mirror attached
Right hand mirror attached
P1000636small.JPG (338.62 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Right hand mirror and adapter/riser unscrewed
Right hand mirror and adapter/riser unscrewed
P1000637small.JPG (437.43 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Cheers,
Barry
ozzy7007

Post by ozzy7007 »

Thanks for the good pics and all the other info, that got my problem solved.. Ozzy---Ohio
BarryPCX

Post by BarryPCX »

ozzy7007 wrote:Thanks for the good pics and all the other info, that got my problem solved.. Ozzy---Ohio
You are welcome.

I noticed your problem was fixed before I took the pictures. Just thought it was worthwhile to take and post them anyway for others in the future.
A picture often makes things so much easier to understand.

Cheers,
Barry.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

If anybody does need reverse threaded nuts and bolts for whatever reason, you can find them in various sizes on eBay. We had to get reverse threaded parts for my husband's Yamaha motorcycle mirrors.
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Wow, there's some good info here!
Now to 'throw the cat amongst the pigeons' ....... my mirrors do not screw into the threaded bosses which form part of the brake assemblies. They thread into small brackets attached to the brakes like this:-
2013-04-08-610_WEB.jpg
2013-04-08-610_WEB.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
2013-04-08-607_WEB.jpg
2013-04-08-607_WEB.jpg (54.74 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
I have a 125 ESP with the Honda large screen fitted by the dealer. I can only think the kit comes with the brackets for the dealer to fit? It places the mirrors about an inch and a half (4cm) further away from the screen towards the rider. Honda may have come up with this as a 'solution' to the mirrors hitting the screen?
Anybody else have this attachment?