Riding Tips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Riding Tips

Post by khaosaming »

gn2 wrote:
khaosaming wrote:You could try googling.
No need, I know your claim is BS
-------------
No offence :? What I meant one could find a source by googling to prove a point, any point. If you say I'm wrong, so be it. Then we can move along into another subject.

I'm just doing what they say "relata refero" -- telling what I've been made to believe. In Finland, they always bring this subject up and there are some papers out there justifying this claim. They could be doctored to back up an agenda. I guess the scene is different in different markets. In Thailand the biggest killers are wreckless driving, collision and drunk driving. Again, I have no source to quote for these three things -- it's my belief based on what I've seen.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

When I posted this I didn't expect to get this much response. Thank you all for the tips and videos. Although, initially some of the counter steering information seems to be the opposite of what you should be doing, after some practice, I can see how it actually works. I can totally understand the comment about somebody almost giving up on their scooter until they mastered turning. When I went to school I was a horrible failure trying to learn physics. I guess my initial skepticism about counter steering is a reflection of my failure to learn the subject.

Thanks again and please know that you've all helped tremendously.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Riding Tips

Post by Alibally »

PKrellner wrote:When I posted this I didn't expect to get this much response. Thank you all for the tips and videos. Although, initially some of the counter steering information seems to be the opposite of what you should be doing, after some practice, I can see how it actually works. I can totally understand the comment about somebody almost giving up on their scooter until they mastered turning. When I went to school I was a horrible failure trying to learn physics. I guess my initial skepticism about counter steering is a reflection of my failure to learn the subject.

Thanks again and please know that you've all helped tremendously.
Stick with it and enjoy the bike. Find yourself a quiet car park and practice the slow speed stuff and try not to overanalyse it. It's a 125 scooter after all not a moto gp bike.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The only time I deliberately use countersteer is when Im really going for it and am heaving my bike quickly from one side to another

The scooter is too light and slow to need it under any circumstances really

Nice to be aware that it exists as you are using it unconsciously all the time but it's no big deal and nothing worth falling out over
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Riding Tips

Post by Alibally »

Exactly
ranier

Post by ranier »

Not really BS,

ref: page 32, http://www.msf-usa.org/curriculummateri ... oprint.pdf

"Crash studies show that running off the road, usually in a curve, accounts for 37 percent* of total motorcycle fatalities. This is the primary situation in which motorcyclists have single vehicle crashes."

*NHTSA 2005 FARS data
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Riding Tips

Post by Alibally »

ranier wrote:Not really BS,

"Crash studies show that running off the road, usually in a curve, accounts for 37 percent* of total motorcycle fatalities. This is the primary situation in which motorcyclists have single vehicle crashes."

*NHTSA 2005 FARS data
Probably trying to practice counter steering or going too fast........
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ranier wrote:Not really BS,

*NHTSA 2005 FARS data
37% on a curve = 63% on a straight?

Let's not bend the numbers and just enjoy our tweeny scooters and not get a hard on over motorcycle fatalities?
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

Thanks for the tips.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PKrellner wrote:Thanks for the tips.

Tips? :)
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Here's an Australian page I found that has information and tips on riding safely.

http://www.spokes.com.au/scooters.aspx#/home
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I'm out of edits, sorry about that again.

I found this page that has another view at the high rate of single vehicle crashes (40 % in NSW, Australia). They usually blame speeding for accidents, but an important contributing factor could be the condition of the road.
If a driver or rider loses control of their vehicle by skidding or going off the outside of a curve it is assumed that they were going too fast for conditions. This may be a reasonable assumption for cars, which are less vulnerable to sudden changes in the road surface, but should not always be assumed for motorcycles.

Excessive speed and rider error may well be factors, but there is also substantial evidence that road surface conditions contribute to at least one in five single vehicle motorcycle crashes.

http://roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/28.html
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

MSF USA Library of tips: ("no" reference to money :D )
http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2& ... me=Library
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

To show the effects of the spinning front wheel as a gyroscope to demonstrate press-right-lean-right-go-right counter steering, etc., try this trick:
Take a bicycle wheel off the bicycle and hold it in your hands by the quick release axle. First, without spinning the wheel, if you push forward on the right side of the axle of the wheel, as you would predict the bicycle wheel simply will point to the left. Now, start that wheel spinning in a forward direction. With the wheel spinning in a forward direction, if you push forward on the right side of the axle of the wheel, the wheel as it spins will lean to the right. We like that lean.
Somewhere there should be a youtube video of this gyroscopic effect, I think. If not, I hope some more physically attractive person than me will make the video.
Just tell any non-believers in counter steering to do this spinning bicycle wheel demonstration for themselves. You will convert the skeptical to the understanding of counter steering.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Since this isn't a how-to per the guidelines here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=762, I'm moving it to the General subforum to prevent clutter. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Ooh, Maddie has an alter-ego... :D

Edit: Wait a minute, where did he go :?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Eh? I'm here. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You know what I mean ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012

Post by djcat »

Ignoring stone throwing, crucifying members of this forum, I just wanted to add that the world of counter steering was opened to me by a Police rider during a Met Police bike safe day. It made a world of difference to me, I am more confident in corners, safer at slow filtering speeds and I DO use it either on my heavy beast XL1000 Varadero or on the little PCX (and I used it on every single bike I ever rode). The dynamics of steering are the same no matter what size your bike is - I can use it even on my bicycle. If you try to avoid that child that just jumped out between those two cars parked and you try this by shifting weights, you will be too slow and either hit it or hit the deck.

Having said that, the first and foremost rule when riding/driving is that you should always be able to stop in the distance that you can see! That means that your speed needs to be reasonable for the circumstances at hand (so if you may not be able to stop for that child stepping out from between parked cars, you are too fast in the first place!). That also means backing off before you enter that corner, especially if you can't see the exit/around it. Practice your braking, there are plenty of videos on youtube about how to stop safely.

And gone I am before I get hit by any stones from the Highlands...
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

How do you ride without countersteering? Isnt that why as a kid it takes 1/2 hour or so to learn to ride a bicycle till the countersteering sinks into the cerebellum. Weight shifting is for keeping the bike more upright in corners or for leaning into a crosswind. I think you will find even to keep a bike going straight your cerebellum is doing minute countersteering corrections all the time based on bumps, wind, road camber etc.