Day One with my new PCX 150 !

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Day One with my new PCX 150 !

Post by former50cc »

I am a 60++ year old man grinning from ear to ear with this new red PCX 150.
When I was a teenager I rode various bikes from 60cc to 500cc but gave them up when I went to college back in the '70's.
Now my teenage daughter has goaded me into trading in my 50cc TNG Chinese scooter for this new ride.
All I can say is, "Thank You", my daughter. If you're good (and take a riding course) I'll let you ride my new scooter.
Happy Day!
Attachments
My-new-PCX150.jpg
My-new-PCX150.jpg (306.98 KiB) Viewed 4788 times
SeaHawk

Re: Day One with my new PCX 150 !

Post by SeaHawk »

Hi,
I also am a 60+ senior and picked up my red PCX150 yesterday.
Ive had alot of big bikes and did long distance riding for years, now its time to slow down and enjoy this great scooter. Im on the outer banks of NC and got flat lands and only 250 miles to the Va mountains. Looking forward to better weather and riding. I love the Candy Apple Red. My last 3 bikes were black so wanted to change it up some. lol
Maybe see u on the road,
Ed :D
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

You are in for a lot of fun.
I too am a "seasoned" rider. My recently purchased PCX125 has been making me grin. :D
Just rode up and over Ceaser's Head on the SC/NC border yesterday. My friends who were riding with me said "you may have moved down in displacement but have moved up on the fun meter".
One of my planned rides is to take highway 74 from Murphy to Manteo. I will give you a shout when I make it. 8)
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Another old fart here and I just picked up a new 2011 PCX today also!

I just took my first ride on one of my favorite bicycling routes that has lots of curves. What a blast rolling on the throttle through the curves! I think the grin may be frozen on my face forever.

Don
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

Been a hoot for me as well! Got mine back in December and took it to the Keys for XMas, back to the Mountains of Tennessee for Easter. Got over 800 on the clock and been riding it to work all week!

Pretty cool for us old farts! I guess we do rule...lol
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

Welcome to the O.F.R.A.T. organization.
"Old Farts Riding Any Time" :lol:
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

I bought my PCX in Jan. Just about have 700 mi on the clock. Remember I live in MI. 52 yo and had bikes all my life. Last bike was a HD Electraglide and I had the for the last 10 years. This little scooter is just a blast to ride and cheap on gas. The wife and I just got home from a 90 cruise on the PCX and Im still smiling, mostly that it only cost us like $4.
2013 Honda PCX 150
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

OK, I notice there are a bunch of old farts here that could form some sort of club or gang. I see there are people from North Carolina, Delaware, Tennessee, Michigan, and I live just outside of Seattle, Washington. Maybe we could have an O.F.R.A.T. rally somewhere. I'm just trying to figure out how to carry a surfboard on my new PCX 150 to that shin-dig. Wherever we meet, I hope there is good surf.
Old Farts Forever!

On my old 50cc I was so accustomed to worrying about cars tailgating me that today, on my second day with my hot little red PCX, when a car got a little close behind me I just twisted the throttle and I was riding at 55 mph with that car far behind.

I can see, red scooter, this is going to be a beautiful friendship!
Old is good! Real good. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

We have gn2 but he is on the wrong side of the pond :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:We have gn2 but he is on the wrong side of the pond :D
Wrong side?
Are you mental?
This is the right side.

Old Fart At Play
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Another 60ish rider who has found renewed riding fun with the PCX 150s we bought about 2 months ago. I know I am getting older... today, my wife said, "Let's check there," (pointing at an SAS shoe store). Yeah, I bought some shoes there. They didn't have anything that would fit my wide feet at the Vans store. :roll:

I can't help getting older... that doesn't keep me from acting childish, though. ;)

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
midlife

Re: Day One with my new PCX 150 ! (actually: PCX with an RV)

Post by midlife »

Captain Jim --

In an earlier post you mentioned that you and your wife get around by "RV and boat" nowadays. I'm considering buying a PCX150 in the near future. My primary purpose is commuting, but we do a lot of camping in our travel trailer here in Oregon. We pull it with a Dodge Durango. I was wondering if there was any way that 286-pound PCX could be carried either within the SUV, or within the trailer, or something else. Any ideas on how to carry this scooter on RV trips?

- midlife
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Day One with my new PCX 150 ! (actually: PCX with an RV)

Post by CaptnJim »

midlife wrote:Captain Jim --

In an earlier post you mentioned that you and your wife get around by "RV and boat" nowadays. I'm considering buying a PCX150 in the near future. My primary purpose is commuting, but we do a lot of camping in our travel trailer here in Oregon. We pull it with a Dodge Durango. I was wondering if there was any way that 286-pound PCX could be carried either within the SUV, or within the trailer, or something else. Any ideas on how to carry this scooter on RV trips?

- midlife
I don't think you'd have enough height in your Durango, but you could measure it to see. Best I can see with a travel trailer would be to mount a carrier on the front of your Durango. Or, swap out the travel trailer for a toy hauler trailer... we had one of those a few years ago, and it worked good for hauling the motorcycle; not as much liveability as a regular travel trailer, though.

We had to leave the scoots behind to haul our boat to the Pacific Northwest - we need the truck bed for supplies and boat gear. We have a cargo trailer that we haul behind our 5th wheel when we are land traveling. I had originally set it up for hauling my V-Strom, but the two scooters fit in there just fine. Be sure to check where you are towing - some states do not allow double towing, and those that do have restrictions on overall length and no towing behind a travel trailer (5th wheel is OK).

I've not seen a rack manufacturer that recommends hauling anything on the back of a travel trailer... too much risk of unloading the tongue weight, I would imagine.

It's not simple to take all the toys along. ;)

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I too am an OLD FART with a new PCX150. I've never ridden anything but a bicycle before and I'm getting used to the new scooter. I can see what everybody means about the smile. I only had it for a couple weeks and just got the license plate for it. Utah requires a motorcycle endorsement, registartion and insurance. Right now I'm on a learners permit for 6 months. I really only intended to use it for running errands when my wife is out of town with the car BUT, I find myself thinking of short day trips I might take. I'm all for joining and old farts club.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I love that now I am getting the Biker's Salute from serious motorcyclists while I'm out riding the twisty roads around here. I never got the wave from the big bikers with my crappy old 50cc.
Old Farts Forever! Yeah!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Only Burgman and Harley riders fail to nod or wave back to me.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:Only Burgman and Harley riders fail to nod or wave back to me.
I couldn't really care any less who waves to me or not on any bike...
jdkochla

Post by jdkochla »

Another 60 year old with a black pcx150. I have just over 100 miles on it. Yes it is a blast to ride.
I have noticed how much the wind blows the bike around at speeds over 45mph.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Could be it is mostly due to the fact that the PCX is a lightweight bike.
Just look at those folks out on the highway on really big touring bikes weighing almost as much as a small car. (ok, I exaggerate, but you get the point.) I bet the wind doesn't have as much impact on those bikes.

So far I've noticed all the wind is at my face, shoulders and chest. I have not gone over 55 yet since I'm still at the initial break-in period, but I've enjoyed quite a few miles in the 45 to 50 mile per hour range. I have not as of yet felt the effects of side gusts.
I remember when I crossed the continent a few times on my 10-speed bicycle back in my younger days. I really had to brace for the wind effect of passing semi trucks.
I have not been on my PCX today, but I drove 300 miles with my diesel pickup today on the freeway. There were lots of big motorcycles out because of the great weather. I bet 99% of the big bikes out on the freeway have some kind of windshield higher than our standard PCX windshield.

Most of my intended use of my PCX is in the city at 45 mph or less. But if in the future I start taking long trips on the freeway, I will definitely attach a higher windshield. Just how high is a matter yet to be determined if I get to that point. I'm not sure if it would be better to see over it or not..
But now is summer weather and I'm not ready for that windshield yet.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The bigger the windshield the more likely the bike is to be deflected by a gust.
The secret to riding in strong winds and gusts is dont tense up, just relax.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong