Hello from Jville

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

BOIT

Hello from Jville

Post by BOIT »

Hello. I feel like I know some of you already as I have been lurking here for a few weeks trying to gather as much information about the PCX 150. I am another 60 yr. older who used to ride bigger bikes when I was younger. I hadn't been on a bike in 20 years. I was getting my car serviced a few weeks ago when I walked across the street to check out a Honda shop. I saw the PCX 150 and started my research when I got home. My research brought me to many places, but none more valuable than these message boards. Thank you maddiedog. Your passion has helped many make their decisions and, in turn, enrich their lives. Anywho.....I pulled the trigger Monday on a brand new black PCX 150. I had it delivered from the store in St. Augustine, Florida to my home in Jacksonville. I was able to ride a little yesterday before work keeping to back roads as to reacquaint myself with 2 wheels again. I kept wanting to pull the clutch.....wait! I rode about 85 miles today in traffic and now feel like I never stopped riding. I am very happy with my purchase. I wish to thank everyone who contributes regularly to this site. You played a BIG part in my decision. I do have one question if anyone would like to chime in with there opinion. When the bike was delivered, I asked the gentleman if he had any tips for me regarding the bike considering I haven't been riding in many years. He said wear a helmet and use ethanol free gas. Apparently, 99% of the gas pumps have 10% ethanol in the fuel. Should I be running ethanol free gas or have these new bikes been manufactured to run on the ethanol blends better?

Burt
JAX, FL
Keydiver

Re: Hello from Jville

Post by Keydiver »

Hey Burt!

Where in Jax? I spent a year working for the school board on the north side of town. Challenging at times at others not. Had to get out before the budget cuts chopped the low man on the total pole! So much wasted money on old employees who do nothing in the maintenance department!

About to pull the trigger on the 150 soon. Keep us updated!
Keydiver

Post by Keydiver »

Hey Burt!

Where in Jax? I spent a year working for the school board on the north side of town. Challenging at times at others not. Had to get out before the budget cuts chopped the low man on the total pole! So much wasted money on old employees who do nothing in the maintenance department!

About to pull the trigger on the 150 soon. Keep us updated!
BOIT

Post by BOIT »

Hi Keydiver. The only update is that the bike registered 104mpg on the 1st tank. I only weigh about 160 though and while breaking it in, I'm keeping her below 55mph for the next 200 miles. The bike was right out of the crate as they lost the keys to the floor model they sold me. Only had to wait 3 hours while they built it.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Great story!
I also had ridden a whole bunch in the late 1960's and early '70's, mostly on my older brother's bikes. As he left his interest in a 60cc Yamaha dual-sport type for some kind of 500cc Honda road bike for later Harley choppers, he let me ride the bikes he felt he had outgrown. I know in those days I had a motorcycle permit, but I may not have gotten around to getting an endorsement. I never rode his Harleys, but I had fun up to that 500cc something he had. I gave it all up back in the mid-1970's in favor of human powered bicycle transportation and touring. It wasn't until the last few years that I got back to motor powered 2 wheeled travel when my wife and I got a 50cc back around 2005.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS NEW PCX 150!
Call me a born-again motorcyclist.
I am at one with my red PCX 150.
I just wish it had a surfboard rack so I could take a few boards to the beach.
If I get too ambitious with my surfboard quiver, I just might have to haul all my boards to the beach together with my PCX 150 driving my pickup truck to carry all my toys!

I sometimes hear in the background of my mind the recording artist formerly and now once again known as Prince singing "Little Red Corvette", only the words change to "Little Red PCX".
OK, my daughter says the '60's and '70's were too much, and I shouldn't live in the past.
But, my Little Red PCX 150 screams! I know that with this red scooter I've found a love that's going to last.
bring up the rhythm now.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

About Ethanol free gas.
I have not seen any gas stations where I live that have Ethanol free gas. I'll defer to the Honda experts on this one, but I think you'll be fine with what you find at your favorite filling stations in Florida.
Honda has developed multi-fuel motorcycles for Brazil that can run on 100% ethanol, or any gasoline-ethanol blend in between. I'm sure here in the United States, Honda has made allowances for locally available fuels in the motorcycles and scooters they sell here.
Let's hear from some of the more mechanically informed members here.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

BOIT wrote: When the bike was delivered, I asked the gentleman if he had any tips for me regarding the bike considering I haven't been riding in many years. He said wear a helmet and use ethanol free gas. Apparently, 99% of the gas pumps have 10% ethanol in the fuel. Should I be running ethanol free gas or have these new bikes been manufactured to run on the ethanol blends better?

Burt
JAX, FL
Per the owners manual, you may use gas with up to 10% ethanol.

That's the only kind they sell in most parts of the country anyway. Oh, and just use regular 87 octane.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

Welcome to the land of smiles, Burt. I have been working my way down from larger bikes to scooters and have a lot more reasons to be grinning.
I am in Jax every other two weeks but my PCX is in North Carolina. :cry: Working on an easy way to bring it down while here. If you need an excuse to ride, come out to Yukon (right across from NAS) to show it off. J.L. Trent's is on our property and I will buy you lunch. In fact, one of the cooks there has a red PCX 125.
He told me about some good rides with a local scooter club.
If you get out this way, call the number on the RV Park office.
Cheers!
Driller
BOIT

Post by BOIT »

Hi Slickvic....thank for the heads up. I missed the section on oxygenated fuels. Glad it runs ok on the 10% ethanol. I called the service dept. and they told me to run either but that the non ethanol is better. I may alternate between the two.

Hi Driller.....I am smiling a lot more these days as a matter of fact. In North Carolina, are you anywhere near the Blue Ridge Parkway. It hah to be the best road for bikes in the country. No stoplights or stop signs for over 400 miles. Smooth surface. Curve after curve after curve. Killer views every couple of miles with places to pull over. Been up and down on it more times than I can remember. Once I have my PCX is broken in, I'll have to head over to your neck of the woods via the Buckman Bridge. (The 3 mile bridge that crosses the St. John's via I-295 Interstate). I am at Baymeadows and 9A.

Hi former 50cc.....ha ha "Little Red PCX".....Let's call Prince! My last bike before I hung up the boots was a Honda Ascot 500cc Thumper (single cylinder). I really enjoyed it. It had the perfect temperment for slower speed around town riding. Realized I didn't need the adrenaline of a crotch rocket anymore. My new adrenaline rush came from mountain biking or tennis tournaments. I realized the joy of cursing at slower speeds on a beautiful day with the sun and breeze on my face. I refuse to get a windshield. Did 2 cross country trips to the west coast without 'em. To me, I love the PURE experience of riding without one. Also, former 50cc, I ride bicycles now too. Picked up an all carbon fiber Cannondale Super Six last year. Wish I had the hills you have over in Washington state.

Burt
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

"Don't let the Buckman bite."when you come. ;)
Yes the BRP is one of the top roads to ride for sure. Takes me about an hour to get up to the parkway from my home.
An Ascot,eh? Were or are you a member of FSSNOC? That was one of the favorite thumpers seen at rallys around the country.
Our PCX's are thumpers... wee ones but single cylinder nonetheless.
BOIT

Post by BOIT »

FSSNOC?? What's that? Definitely wasn't a member. I would love living up there except my blood is too thinned out after living here and Hawaii. I feel cold when it gets below 60 now. :? Coming from bikes in the 70's, there are 2 things that really surprise me about the PCX. It starts up so quietly. I will not wake anyone early in the mornings. I can remember imagining people wanting to throw stuff out the window at me when I started my Kawasaki 400 2 stroke in the mornings. Another surprise.....little vibration from the grips. My hand used to get a little pins and needles.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

BOIT wrote:...use ethanol free gas. Apparently, 99% of the gas pumps have 10% ethanol in the fuel.
Gasoline has 114,000 BTU/Gal
Ethanol has 76,100 BTU/Gal

Expect better MPG with ethanol free gas.

We watched peak MPG on our Civic drop from 42 to 38 when they started blending 10% ethanol into our gas. Unfortunately MO law requires ethanol, so we have no choices (short of an uncorrupted state congress).
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

That says it all......
BOIT

Post by BOIT »

Wow....they gotta club for everything.
you you
What's a wot?