End of the drought

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

End of the drought

Post by Urbanian »

Looks like the drought is pretty much over…

The submerged statue commemorates Lewis & Clark’s landing, but at this point, his triumphal hat waving looks more like a cry for help.
Attachments
CAM00174 (800x599).jpg
CAM00174 (800x599).jpg (288.99 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: End of the drought

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yeah, more like yelling "I'm over here!" You guys have had some rough weather, that's for sure! Oklahoma not far away and they are devastated. Very, very sad. Damn tornado's, getting worse each year, touching down everywhere these days :x
Glad to see you out and about Urbanian, must help to have a bike to get your mind off the nasty stuff and to breath life in again. I hope you and all those you know, are okay.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Is that the place where they have the famous gateway to the west? Mistaken by some ignoramuses as a piece of junk food advertising. That gate was, if anyone's interested, designed by a Finnish-American architect (Eero Saarinen). He also designed the TWA Terminal, New York.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Thanks for your kind words WN. Tornadoes are very selective, so most of us were only mildly inconvenienced with the recent storms. Sewers backing up from excessive rainfall is more widespread than wind damage. All in all we are a hearty bunch, and came through smiling, though a little wet.

The picture here is actually from before the most recent storms. The river is nearly 10' higher now than it was then.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

A more recent photo of the flooded Mississippi immediately north of the statue (and from higher ground). The trees out in the water are along the same sidewalk where my bike was parked in the previous photo.
Attachments
CAM00216 (640x472).jpg
CAM00216 (640x472).jpg (262.37 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

You see the second and third levels of the parking garage on the left. The trees are planted along the street that normally fronts the river. During last year's drought, the bridge standard in the distance was at the water's edge.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Saying goes, "that things could be worse"......ok I know. But I never found comfort in that being said. Sewers backed up? Oh, that Is awful. I'd be thinking this, no I change that....I would be planning to move. Easier said then done and involved but a good scare can make it happen. Like this.......
While living in Florida, hurricane and tornado threats came often. One time (early dark a.m. hours) I took shelter alone in the only "safe" place I had, a closet for 4 hours. It was frightening. Constant back to back lightening and sounds I had Never heard before. It was Nearby I knew it. As a matter of fact it turned out several twisters where within miles of each other. I was so glad I didn't know that while I hid from what I knew as one. Well that was enough for me. Next day safe and sound, I decided to make plans to move as soon as I could. I did and I Def Don't miss that!!
(But......I Do miss the almost year round great biking weather & roads!)
"Can't have everything".....hmmm, "they" say that too! :x I'll still try :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You