VOLTMETER for PCX !

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

nasnikos-Greece

Re: VOLTMETER for PCX !

Post by nasnikos-Greece »

maddiedog wrote:
gn2 wrote:Nor intelligent enough to use jump leads....
What if I don't have any on me? There's no way I'd carry them with me in the scooter, they take up too much space and add weight. You'd be surprised how few people actually carry jumpers nowadays... I have a set in both my trucks, but would never bother with that on a scooter.

I have terrible luck with batteries. I went through a battery a year on my CR-V until I replaced it with a Duralast premium. A few cars before that, I had a 1995 Infiniti G20. It was a good car, with not a single issue other than a shitty alternator. Even after having it replaced, it wouldn't charge the battery properly and would eventually kill them. I replaced the battery 3 or 4 times, then just left the bad battery in and parked on a hill. Thank god that thing was stickshift, or I would have been getting several jumps a day. :lol:
That's a good luck! :lol:
al_aizad

VOLTMETER for PCX !

Post by al_aizad »

Hi i'm a noob here can someone explain to me how to use the voltmeter? What do the numbers mean? At what value should i start to 'worry' before it will die off?

Got all these questions as i'm thinking of installing one.

I also want to put up one with a time indicator. I don't wear watches and even if i do i'd prefer just looking over my speedometer for time.
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

I like that meter but too bad it dont have a cover on the back side. If it did you could two side tape or velcro anyplace. Then I remembered I have one like this I use on my golf cart. And I just installed a 12v outlet on my PCX so I can just check when I feel like it very easily.
http://dx.com/p/led-display-cigarette-l ... 47&u=68179
2013 Honda PCX 150
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

In response to al_aizad, a voltmeter can be used to check the charging system of a scooter/motorcycle.
By checking the voltage across the two battery terminals .......
i) when the engine is stopped and ignition off
ii) when the engine is running but at idle revs
iii) when the engine is running at higher revs (usually around 3000 revs or more)
you can assess the condition of your battery, your regulator and your alternator (stator in USA).

Have a look at the attached diagram http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/f ... iagram.pdfand it gives some idea of what voltage you should expect to see at each of the 3 above states. The diagram is a bit complex in parts, but it will help you check and diagnose charging faults with any bike/scooter.
Some bikes (eg Kawasaki ER500) are notorious for regulator problems which cause hundreds of pounds worth of damage when they go wrong, so it is worth checking occasionally with any scooter/bike.
Having a voltmeter attached to your handlebars on a PCX may be a bit OTT though, as I have not heard any problems associated with failing charging systems on the PCX. I usually check mine once a month or so.
Hope this helps!
Tom.
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

Just ordered one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Auto-Car- ... 0794282%26

No idea where I'm going to put it but it will give me a clock too so ill give it a whirl.
More than two wheels is too many.

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
gn2 wrote:Nor intelligent enough to use jump leads....
What if I don't have any on me? There's no way I'd carry them with me in the scooter, they take up too much space and add weight. You'd be surprised how few people actually carry jumpers nowadays... I have a set in both my trucks, but would never bother with that on a scooter.

I have terrible luck with batteries. I went through a battery a year on my CR-V until I replaced it with a Duralast premium. A few cars before that, I had a 1995 Infiniti G20. It was a good car, with not a single issue other than a shitty alternator. Even after having it replaced, it wouldn't charge the battery properly and would eventually kill them. I replaced the battery 3 or 4 times, then just left the bad battery in and parked on a hill. Thank god that thing was stickshift, or I would have been getting several jumps a day. :lol:

That sounds as if it could be battery drain problems rather than charging