Insurance Issue

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Insurance Issue

Post by EmilyJEG »

I've had my scooter for about a year now, so I've had to sort out a new tax disc and I'm having to look at insurance too. Last year I was with MCE. I've just rang them to discuss a quote I got online (even more expensive than last year - £743!) and they've told me they can't insure me because I park it elsewhere (bear in mind that they were fine with it last year)! I live in a flat with no parking: where the heck am I supposed to park it?! We have some scooter parking areas outside, but they are for the general public and not secure - it's currently in a secure car park that I pay for. If I were to park it in those spaces, there's a good chance it would get knocked or someone would purposely damage it; and with a £750 excess I can't really afford that. The only thing they could offer is third party - for £541.

Must think I'm made of money :roll:
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Insurance Issue

Post by EmilyJEG »

Did a search using Compare the Market, and didn't realise they had the wrong scooter info (I'd put in my reg number but it keeps linking it to a different bike) - MCE quoted just under £500 for that, even though I'd put the value at the same etc. Why is it they can insure one type when parked elsewhere, and not another?

Corrected the details and suddenly the cheapest quote is over £900. Think I might have to consider selling it :'(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Never renew insurance without looking very carefully at the renewal quote.
Chances are they will charge you a fee to renew.
Don't phone round individual insurance companies, get on the comparison websites and check a good few of them.
You could be surprised by the result if you input the parking location as the public road outside your flat, the premium might be unaffected, it could even be lower.
Other things worth trying: de-select the pillion cover if added, lower the estimated annual mileage, and decline the legal protection element.
Here's a few links to get you started, happy hunting!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-in ... -insurance
http://www.confused.com/motorbike-insurance
http://www.comparethemarket.com/motorbike-insurance/
http://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/
http://www.gocompare.com/motorbike-insurance/
http://www.tescocompare.com/motorbike-insurance.shtml
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Thanks for all the links. I had a look on the Tesco one and they seem to have several that are cheaper than Compare the Market, which I was using earlier. I will have to have a good look though, as some of the reviews are shocking! I will work through the rest later this evening; filling in details is exhausting after a while and everything is starting to go blurry - I'll take it as a hint to get off the laptop!

Which type of insurance do you recommend? I had comprehensive last year, but not sure whether it's necessary. Don't really fancy getting just third party though, as the thing that is most likely to happen to my scooter is it gets stolen!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

As an absolute minimum get TPF&T but prices for that can sometimes be more than Comprehensive.
Comprehensive is best.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tildarama1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tildarama1 »

I have TPF&T insurance using ADRIAN FLUX (BIKESURE under another name). Best offer was £350 (£450 excess) but including excess protection at 39.99 for the year. (Best part was excluding all of the fancy extras such as helmet and leathers cover etc which I don't need but other companies add in and charge for regardless.)

Note: I'm on L-plates and only have a provisional license. And park on private set back driveway.

Really good deal for me and found through compare the market!
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I think my biggest issue is parking it away from home. A lot of them are simply refusing to cover because of it. I decided not to bother looking any more this evening - I will continue at some point tomorrow I think. I need to renew it by the 21st so I've got a bit of time, at least.

A man from CIA was trying to advise me to get TPF&T, and then tried to talk me down to TP! That's the worst thing about the comparison websites, though. Everyone starts calling you afterwards and it's difficult to avoid putting in a phone number. I'm always scared to fake one in case it's a real number and someone else is getting pestered lol :P
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Never put your real contact details in a comparison website, put your phone number as 01234 567 890 or similar and use a junk webmail address like Yahoo/Hotmail.
When it comes time to do the actual sign up edit it with the correct ones.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Insurance Issue

Post by Alibally »

£150 from Hastings but I'm oldish.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

sorry, am I going to cheese you off in saying I just reinsured for £55 fully comp inc commuting......just saying and go for fully comp for sure :-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

Just had a quote for a new Hyosung GT125 Sports Touring fully comprehensive
Bennetts was £108.77 with £200 excess
Swinton was £128.11 with £100 excess
My PCX was £180 with £100 excess last month, Funny how a bigger size bike can cost you less :?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its all about insurance groups, the likes of Hyosung are far cheaper to insure because the parts cost less and no-one wants to steal them because they're crap.
A Kymco Downtown 300 also costs less to insure than a PCX.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I'd just like to thank everyone for sharing stories about how cheap your insurance is. They've really helped. :lol:

I still haven't found the motivation to go looking again. Might leave it until Friday when I've got another day off (I've got tomorrow off, but have decided to spend it crafting!).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:I'd just like to thank everyone for sharing stories about how cheap your insurance is. They've really helped. :lol:

I still haven't found the motivation to go looking again. Might leave it until Friday when I've got another day off (I've got tomorrow off, but have decided to spend it crafting!).

Crafting what?
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:Something like this: http://blog.lauraashley.com/make-and-do ... %E2%80%99/
Looks good. Gingham! You'll be watching seven brides for seven brothers next
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Nope, mine is going to have owls on it ;) I'm making it for an exchange on another forum.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:Nope, mine is going to have owls on it ;) I'm making it for an exchange on another forum.

Why owls?
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

The other person likes owls! :P