Me & Mr Groundhog

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Me & Mr Groundhog

Post by ScooterKim »

Well. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I ran over Mr Groundhog today. For all I know it might have been Mrs Groundhog hurrying to the grocery store or to the beauty parlor to get her nails done. I was looking up and out and all of a sudden, I see a dark moving object close to my right and "bump-bump" I ran over him with my front tire. the funny thing is, I did not go off balance and just continued on the straight and narrow. was more surprised than anything. hope I just stunned him. there was no splatter or mess when I was able to check. I KNOW there are more stories out there like mine... care to share?! ScooterKim
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Me & Mr Groundhog

Post by Taz »

Running over small critters is OK, I've run over several rabbits. But avoid the big ones like deer, cattle and in our case kangaroos, as they will cause you damage! Was it at night? Its worth slowing down nighttime if you want to lessen the critter damage!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I've killed two cats, dozens of squirrels, and likely a possum. A few rabbits too. I think my tires have targets on them. :( All the animals I've hit were at night, other than the squirrels, they're all daytime.

The first time it was a shock. I had hit roadkill before, but it's always sad killing something (especially the cats -- they might have been pets). I never bothered to stop, you can FEEL it if the creature's body gives way to your tire.

The only time I've had a close call recently was when there was a dead deer on the road. That's a lot of mass to hit, and it was smashed across my lane through a turn. I managed to reduce speed enough to not get killed, and rode through a blood puddle between some larger gore. I had a close call in Florida with a turtle too. I stopped and carried the little guy across the road after I dodged him. :lol:

Most hits didn't leave gore, one of the cats did, and that was really sad. If you ever hit something and get your bike covered in gore, clean it off as soon as possible, dried blood is really hard to get off.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I hit a cat with a VFR750 which I was piloting round a corner circa 85mph.
Bike hardly deviated from my chosen line.
The cat smashed both fairing lowers :(
It earned me a rather crude nickname for a while.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I'm going to throw out a guess -- Pussy smasher?

Or worse?

That's a pretty hilarious that it got you a nickname though.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

My tally so far is a raccoon and believe it or not, a bird, lol.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:I'm going to throw out a guess -- Pussy smasher?

Or worse?

You're on the right track, it was "The Pussy F____r"
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:I'm going to throw out a guess -- Pussy smasher?

Or worse?

You're on the right track, it was "The Pussy F____r"

I sometimes get called a pianist. Ridiculous, I don't even play the piano
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Hit a fox when i was going about 40mph at 4am, woke me up!
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Nice thing about the bigger wheels on the PCX, compared to the smaller tire scooters: the gyro effect tends to keep rolling when something small and furry makes contact. I am convinced that some animals (and birds) are simply suicidal. Perhaps it is "thinning the herd"? If it were a domestic animal, and likely a family pet, I would stop... woodland creatures? Not so much.

The PCX is quiet; that could be a contributing factor. Glad to hear there was no harm to you or damage to the scoot.

In several hundred thousand two wheel miles, I have only taken out one squirrel and a bird... the bird hurt!

From the family of Mr. Groundhog: services are being held until Feb. 2nd. Donations can be made to the Bill Murray Foundation.

;)

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Jhois1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Jhois1 »

In Bill Murray's case, Phil would get ran over day after day. :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

CaptnJim wrote:If it were a domestic animal, and likely a family pet, I would stop... woodland creatures? Not so much.
Depends on the creature really.
Stop for a big one, flatten a small one.
Pheasants are the worst, they have absolutely no road sense (or brains) whatsoever.