New Buyer/Owner of PCX150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

DenMarkSoul

Re: New Buyer/Owner of PCX150

Post by DenMarkSoul »

maddiedog wrote:Was your engine in TDC (top dead center) when you did the valve adjustment?

Can you tell if the click is a mechanical click from metal on metal, or a click from a motor not spinning up?

Clicking sounds like metal on metal. Is this normal noise with all the panels off the pcx?
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

just redid valve adjustment. Clicking noise gone. I had the exhaust valve adjustment incorrect. Thank you for all the help again. Just saved $300 doing it all myself! Now to put all the panels back on.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Congrats! Knowing you can DIY is liberating. Hope you have some good riding weather when you get it back in one piece!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Glad to hear you got it figured out. :)

When I bought my first scooter, I got it home and couldn't get it started. I was so pissed. I called the seller angrily asking what the heck, he sold me a bum bike, etc... He asked if I had the kickstand down... I did. I was so embarrassed. You're not the first, and far from the last, to make that mistake! :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

cessna151 wrote:Congrats! Knowing you can DIY is liberating. Hope you have some good riding weather when you get it back in one piece!
Thanks! It does feel great being able to DIY. This week has started with Thunderstorms each day. I was able to ride it up and down the street to test it. It runs smooth and I'm glad.

Takes time to get all the paneling off. But better than paying $250-$300. haha
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

maddiedog wrote:Glad to hear you got it figured out. :)

When I bought my first scooter, I got it home and couldn't get it started. I was so pissed. I called the seller angrily asking what the heck, he sold me a bum bike, etc... He asked if I had the kickstand down... I did. I was so embarrassed. You're not the first, and far from the last, to make that mistake! :lol:
Thanks! I did that at the dealership when trying to start it as well. and forgot that it will do that when testing at home on the stand. lol

I must admit. My first time owning a scooter and working on one. So I have made a lot of first time mistakes. lol I tightened one of the bolts on the gasket too much. The result was the bolt splitting in half. So i need to go buy a new one and replace asap. which brings another question. Will I be fine to ride it with the remaining piece of the bolt stuck on the gasket cover hole? or will a leak or issue occur?

I use my pcx to travel to and from work. Work is about 20 miles away from home. My schedule is so busy and with the rain storms happening it has prevented me from working on the scooter as detailed as I would want to.

Also, I need to add a few screws to the bike. Didn't put all the screws back where they belonged for all the paneling. smh. (I sound a mess I know.) I'm very please with the way it runs. Having done the oil change and the valve adjustments has made a difference. Next time I adjust the valves will be easier and faster I'm sure. Now that I am some what familiar with doing so.

Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

DenMarkSoul wrote:I tightened one of the bolts on the gasket too much. The result was the bolt splitting in half. So i need to go buy a new one and replace asap. which brings another question. Will I be fine to ride it with the remaining piece of the bolt stuck on the gasket cover hole? or will a leak or issue occur?
Which gasket and which of the bolts?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

gn2 wrote:
DenMarkSoul wrote:I tightened one of the bolts on the gasket too much. The result was the bolt splitting in half. So i need to go buy a new one and replace asap. which brings another question. Will I be fine to ride it with the remaining piece of the bolt stuck on the gasket cover hole? or will a leak or issue occur?
Which gasket and which of the bolts?
The cover over the valves. (The cylinder head.) 1 of the 4 bolts that secures that cover. I road the scooter and noticed no leaks, noise or difference in a negative way when riding. It road smoothly as if I just purchased from the dealership.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I'd use extreme caution. You could experience a catastrophic loss of oil from that gasket failing with improper force holding it in place. I'd order a replacement and wait to ride until afterwards. :)

If I read your post right, you need part number 95701-06022-00, on this microfiche: http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... dToVm1CoTY

Looks like it's under $1. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I reckon if its one of the two bolts on the flat side it could be OK.
If its one of the bolts on the side with the other side I wouldn't risk it.
You'll know very quickly if its leaking, just stick your hand up from underneath and have a feel around.
The biggest broblem will be getting access for a tool to get the broken bolt out.
You might have to drop the engine out the frame.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

maddiedog wrote:I'd use extreme caution. You could experience a catastrophic loss of oil from that gasket failing with improper force holding it in place. I'd order a replacement and wait to ride until afterwards. :)

If I read your post right, you need part number 95701-06022-00, on this microfiche: http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... dToVm1CoTY

Looks like it's under $1. :)
Thank you for the info and help constantly. This forum is a pcx owners best friend. I really enjoy and love this pcx. Especially riding around downtown Savannah. :)

You are correct with the part number. I'm going to order 4 bolts. :) And possibly the gasket cover just in case.

I must confess I have been riding it to and from work (50 miles round trip) on the freeway going at 55-60mph and have checked before and after each trip. No leaks or problems running it. The only piece of the bolt that broke off was the cap or head of the bolt. Surprisingly, it seems jammed and tightly held in place.

My next day off is Monday. I'm hoping to make it til then. Risky im sure. :(
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

gn2 wrote:I reckon if its one of the two bolts on the flat side it could be OK.
If its one of the bolts on the side with the other side I wouldn't risk it.
You'll know very quickly if its leaking, just stick your hand up from underneath and have a feel around.
The biggest broblem will be getting access for a tool to get the broken bolt out.
You might have to drop the engine out the frame.

Thank you for your response and help.

It is the bolt on the top right. Which is the flat side. Opposite side of the chain. No leak is present after 2 days of riding 50 miles round trip to work. (Thank goodness.) I was thinking the same about the issue of getting it out without stripping the grooves in the bolt hole. I may just get a new gasket cover. New bolts and use a drill to drill through the center of the broken bolt to get it removed without damaging the engine or stripping the grooves in the bolt hole.

What is your thought?
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I just bought oil to change it myself. I'm too busy working a minimum wage job to help with college to drive my scooter 45 miles away for a 125 dollar service when they oil only costs 6.25 for me to do myself. The reason is this dealership charges like 80 an hour for labor
ImageImage
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

logepoge1 wrote:I just bought oil to change it myself. I'm too busy working a minimum wage job to help with college to drive my scooter 45 miles away for a 125 dollar service when they oil only costs 6.25 for me to do myself. The reason is this dealership charges like 80 an hour for labor
I agree with that. It's an easy thing to do. As far as changing the oil on the pcx. To pay someone more than a quart of oil cost to remove a bolt. It's crazy.

Was this post suppose to be here or did you post this on this topic by mistake?
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Posted on here on purpose. If you read that was the general conversation on this topic was how to do first service
ImageImage
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

logepoge1 wrote:Posted on here on purpose. If you read that was the general conversation on this topic was how to do first service
Understood. I started the topic. So I should know. I just forgot because I was focused on my current mistake. :lol:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

As for your current issue, have you considered taking a dremel or angle grinder and putting a notch in the top of the bolt? You could then use a flathead screwdriver to remove it with relative ease. You'd have to make sure not to get metal dust in the engine though!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

DenMarkSoul wrote: use a drill to drill through the center of the broken bolt to get it removed without damaging the engine or stripping the grooves in the bolt hole.

What is your thought?
Depends on if there's enough bolt sticking out the hole.
If there's enough bolt sticking out you can get extractors that fit over the top of the bolt, screw onto the bolt cutting into it like a sort of self tapper then they unscrew the bolt.
Unlikely this will be the case so you'll want to get the engine out and do it like this:

skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

maddiedog wrote:Glad to hear you got it figured out. :)

Watched this happen last Saturday at Lynchburg with a Honda VTX1300......I walked over, told Him to flip up the kickstand....VAROOOOOOOM..... :lol:
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!