REquired Service for Warranty

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

REquired Service for Warranty

Post by logepoge1 »

What service is required for the warranty? The previous owner bought the extended but I cant get a refund on it since im not the original owner. I am at 800 miles and will be changing the oil tomorrow but what is required for me to do to keep the warranty?
ImageImage
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: REquired Service for Warranty

Post by Taz »

What state and country are you in? You should add it to your profile.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Louisiana USA
ImageImage
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You'd have to ask a dealer. I'm unsure if the warranty is transferable.

As for keeping the warranty, in the US, the laws protect the consumer heavily. As long as any damage is not clearly from neglect or your fault, you're covered. I highly recommend keeping to the factory intervals when under warranty: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323

As for afterwards, there is a general consensus on the board that the valve adjustment frequency is too high. You will likely be okay skipping every other interval after the initial 2 adjustments.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Yeah it was transferable. Already did that. I know how to change oil. I could maybe check valve clearance, although what tool do I use. I could do brake system, although I have never figured out how to use brake lock anyways. And I could test battery with multimeter. The lady who had before me only drove it 70 miles, realized she didn't like scooters, and one year later sold it to me for 2000 less than what she got it for
ImageImage
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

And it's a Honda engine as well. We have a Honda four wheeler from 2002 that has barely had any maintenance, I don't think oil has ever been changed. And that thing still runs great. Gotta love honda quality
ImageImage
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

logepoge1 wrote:The lady who had before me only drove it 70 miles, realized she didn't like scooters, and one year later sold it to me for 2000 less than what she got it for
Gotta' love a deal like that. Congrats.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

logepoge1 wrote: I have never figured out how to use brake lock anyways.
Parking brake? Squeeze the brakes hard, and pull the lever. To release, squeeze the brakes again, and push the parking brake button while pulling. Sometimes the brakes remain locked after the parking brake is released, but just squeezing the hand brake hard again will always release it.

Very few of us use the parking brake, but I use it frequently.

As Dave says, there's little you can do to void the warranty.

Congrats on getting an excellent bike at an excellent price!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

A full how-to for the valve adjustment is here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24

The tools needed are pretty basic, the only thing some people won't have in their garage is a set of feeler gauges.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Okay we'll I just picked some pennzoil up at o'reillys so about to change the oil
ImageImage
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

thanks for the overview on the brake use, urbanian. I was having a hard time figuring it out. I don't use the brake but now I am able to if I choose. One thing I noticed is how hard the seat is to latch. I think I will ask that question on another thread to see what others have to say.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I already asked that on a thread. Not really a solution. And had to bring pennzoil back because it was energy conserved. I ended up just getting the recommended pro honda oil
ImageImage
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Urbanian wrote: ... Parking brake? ...
Is this something only on US versions. I don't have one here in Thailand, or am I missing something?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

It's in bottom left for me under glove box. It's a knob. But you guys have idle stop which I know I don't need since I mainly ride at 60 mph most of the time in a small town with 4 stop lights
ImageImage
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

logepoge1 wrote:And it's a Honda engine as well. We have a Honda four wheeler from 2002 that has barely had any maintenance, I don't think oil has ever been changed. And that thing still runs great. Gotta love honda quality
for gods sake change the oil on that bike at least once a year. it may be a honda but you still have to do the minimal maintenance if you want it to last like a honda!!!

kramnala58,

yes, the silly parking brake is a US model only thing.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I know it's my dads fourwheeler. I got the Honda oil to change scooter oil today and he will change four wheeler next week.
ImageImage
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Okay so changed scooter oil now in process of changing four wheeler oil. I have a question: is it too bad if I overfill? Manual says .8 qt but my scooter took 1 qt fine and still in level on dipstick. I guess because we shook it to drain more
ImageImage
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

yes, it is really really bad to overfill the oil. i am not sure if the amount you put in is enough more to cause a problem. maybe not if it is showing within the acceptable level on the dipstick assuming you are following the correct oil checking procedure. hopefully, somebody smarter than me will comment on that.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I hope so because I know it holds a qt if you clean the strainer but since we shook it I think it drained from strainer too. Because the measuring level is in ml and it is hard to get ml from qt because that is metric units to English units
ImageImage
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I mean how do you tell when you are putting too much in?
ImageImage