Difficulty removing oil screen plug

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Difficulty removing oil screen plug

Post by SmellyTofu »

I am trying to remove the by using a 17mm socket and for some reason it is slipping and thereby chewing the bolt head. Anyone had this experience?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Difficulty removing oil screen plug

Post by Pcxdemon »

Yep, on my previous Honda. I ended rounding the head and ruining the nut. Its a very soft alloy and it wont take too much of an abuse so be careful. The best way is take a flathead screwdriver and gently tap it with hammer on the very bottom of the nut piece anti clock wise till it loosens up. Then just undo it with your socket.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Did you replace the nut after you removed it? I did my first oil change anyway and ended up giving up on the screen (since the book didn't say to remove it). Although after pouring the used oil into a container, I did see some metal fragments the size of sand particles. Saw maybe 3 or 4 with one maybe the size of 3 sand grains clumped together. Amazing after just 1000km.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

SmellyTofu wrote:Did you replace the nut after you removed it? I did my first oil change anyway and ended up giving up on the screen (since the book didn't say to remove it). Although after pouring the used oil into a container, I did see some metal fragments the size of sand particles. Saw maybe 3 or 4 with one maybe the size of 3 sand grains clumped together. Amazing after just 1000km.
After i rounded the nut and before i learned this neat trick i tried sawing a flathead screw type cut across the nut so i could use my extra large flathead screw driver to undo it, :roll: but i ended chipping half a nut away from that attempt. I was kinda stuck with it for a few days whilst waiting for a new part from Honda and in a mean time someone showed me how to remove what was left of it in there by tapping it away with a hammer and sc.. :|
Dont worry about what you thought of as metal fragments, its normal and i wouldnt worry about it. If it had an oil filter you would never see any of it but its normal wear and tear. You will see after a while or maybe earlier a crank case gasket pieces (grey tiny pieces of rubber) that will break off and will get stuck in the strainer,you may get alarmed but thats normal aswell. Its just the excess of liquid gasket applied when they seal the crank and it dries on inside and eventually brakes and falls in oil. Strainer catches it..
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

SmellyTofu wrote:Did you replace the nut after you removed it? I did my first oil change anyway and ended up giving up on the screen (since the book didn't say to remove it). Although after pouring the used oil into a container, I did see some metal fragments the size of sand particles. Saw maybe 3 or 4 with one maybe the size of 3 sand grains clumped together. Amazing after just 1000km.
My screen came out without an issue. I think the screen should be cleaned every oil change. It don't cost anything and in easy to do. My screen had some big pieces of metal attached at the first oil change and I am glad the is still not in the motor. The book really should say to clean it on the first service.
2013 Honda PCX 150
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mine did too
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Hmm already did first oil change but I will check the screen for now on at every oil change I do
ImageImage