Feeling sorry for the PCX 125?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Feeling sorry for the PCX 125?

Post by strkngfang »

Since the 150 was released last year, it appears that most everyone has traded in or sold their 125 for the newer model. The first thing I don't understand, with Honda, is why put out a 125 for only one model year, knowing the next year you will be putting out a larger cc version for basically the same price, this makes no sense to me? I've ridden both and I will say the 150 has more noticeable power, but unless you are consistently needing over 60 mph, shouldn't the 125 be adequate. It is still an outstanding overachiever that I would argue is faster than any other 125? I know it would shine against the Vino & Zuma 125s, as well as the Genuine Buddys and even the SH125, so is it just a "bigger is better" thing?
I feel Honda should have saved the PCX for the 150 version and kept the Elite 110 around, which was an awesome scoot. It was only 108cc and I kept up with all of the slightly bigger bikes on group rides with no problems. It was priced right and our dealer sold a ton of them, the PCX caused it to have a one year doom, because you had a larger motor with a maxi scoot look, larger wheels for only about 500.00 more.
I guess if Honda released a PCX 200, it would have the same effect. I know people anxiously awaiting to dump their PCX 150s for the Forza. Maybe some riders just have to have the newest thing.
My main point is, the PCX125 is a great bike so why even release the 150? I can't imagine flooring it down a highway pegged at 70 mph while cars are doing 80? and practically running you over? In Ohio, you have to have no less than 250cc to travel the interstates so it isn't legal in all 50 states like Honda claims? If you are bringing the 150, why bring the 125 for one year????
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Feeling sorry for the PCX 125?

Post by GeezyRider »

I just purchased my 2011 125 new in April. I took the 125 because I wanted something relatively inexpensive and dependable to learn on (this is my first motor bike of any kind). I got it out the door for less than msrp because the dealer & Honda were offering incentives to clear out old stock. Going in, I felt sure I would replace the 125 in a year or so with either a maxi-scoot or a motorcycle. Now, I'm not so sure. When I am bored and browsing the internet I keep researching the Forza and Burgmans, the new CTX from Honda and even think about the PCX 150. However, when I am riding my PCX 125 I am totally content and happy with it. It does most of what I want it to do, all of what I need it to do and it is a great looking machine.

Don
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I was the same way, loving my Elite 110 & SH150i, but feeling since I was a guy, that I had to move up to a maxi. I got the Reflex first, rode it for a season & was happy, but when a used Silverwing, with all of its modern tech, FI etc, came into my price range, I had to have it, knowing I rarely exceed 50mph & the bike nearly tripled my weight. Traded it a few weeks a go & I'm a happy camper!!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its a Europe thing.
The reason the 150cc class exists at all is Italian laws allow up to 150 without a full licence.
As for the Elite, there's a new version out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

I guess I dont see why Honda ever introduced the 125? I know laws are different from state to state and country to country. Here in SD anything over 49cc requires a motorcycle license and dmv plates. 49cc and under you just need a valid drivers license.

With most other brands offering 49cc and 150cc bikes what was the reason for a 125? Yamaha did this with the zuma, which is a great bike, but why make 50cc - 110cc -125cc-150cc-300cc and 400cc bikes? Honda also did this with the big ruckus and tried charging at the time almost the same amount of money they want currently for the PCX. PCX is a much better bike hands down over the ruckus.

I know people love their different scoots and only want a 110 and so forth, but as a buiseness sense its odd to have so many options when three would work and cover all different driver needs. A 50, 150, and the 400 would cover it all.

Now Im not knocking the 125 at all, it just doesnt make a lot of sense to me.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I think Honda is going that way. I look for it to be the 50cc Metro/ruckus, 150cc PCX & 300cc Forza for 2014. I think the Silverwing will be no more. It's already gone from other markets. They've released the identical bike for the past 3 years. Why buy a new for 10K, when a used will go for 5-7K??
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

In most of Europe you can ride a 125 without a full licence.
This is why there are so many 125 models.
European capacity and power licence categories dictate what scooter models get built.
The USA scooter market is tiny (and currently in freefall) by comparison to Europe.
To give you some idea, when the PCX went on sale in France in 2010, 600 of them were sold in the first month and there was one dealer in Paris who was selling them at a rate of almost three a day.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

gn2 wrote: The USA scooter market is tiny (and currently in free-fall) by comparison to Europe.
To give you some idea, when the PCX went on sale in France in 2010, 600 of them were sold in the first month and there was one dealer in Paris who was selling them at a rate of almost three a day.

You hit the nail on the head. We 'Muricans sometimes forget that we are not always the world's biggest market for selling (insert product here). The US may as well not even exist when it comes to scooter sales.

Europe and the rest of the world dictates the scooter market.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I agree, but we have to have adequate choices for our needs and reasonable prices. The SH150i was, maybe still is the best selling scooter in Italy, so they bring it here to capitalize on its popularity, but sell it at a ridiculous cost of nearly 5K, when a thousand more lands you a new Majesty 400 or slightly used Burgman or Silverwing, that was insane to think we would pay that, and of course I was one of the few, due to lack of choices?
If the big 3- Honda, Suzuki & Yamaha care at all about the scooter market, they have to offer what we want and they are starting to do that. When the PCX was press released, our dealer was getting a lot of inquiries with a lot of interest. Then Honda kept pushing back the release date and the first one didn't land at our dealer until mid October, when a lot of "fair weather" riders were beginning to pack it in for the year. By the time nice weather returned in the spring, the 150 was already announced, so the 125 was dead in the water. I think Honda got it right with the Forza and it will be a hot seller. Only 1K more than an SH150i and it's a maxi scooter that could cruise the highway all day long.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Similar here, the Forza was originally scheduled for May but won't be here till August so I will be waiting till next April before getting one.
Not because I'm a fair weather rider, precisely the opposite.
UK price for the Forza will be less than the SH300, and only a couple of hundred more than the non-ABS Sym Joymax 300, so IMO a bit of a bargain.
The 8000 mile service interval is the icing on the cake.
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

Whatever the reasoning, it had a delightful effect on my wallet. The used price for 125's plummeted with the introduction of the 150. !,800 clams for a mint PCX with 1,800 miles made the fun/cost ratio very favorable.
I ride the Majesty less since the little Honda came home with me. 8)
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Thats a great deal & the little Honda does grow on you!!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

I guess if Honda released a PCX 200, it would have the same effect.
I will own the next 200cc scooter released in the usa. I've got 8k miles on my 150 now and it does almost everything i want it to do. What sold me on it was the incredible MPG while also being highway capable. I've had my 150 out on the interstate a few times but it's just not fast enough. I think a PCX 200 would do nicely on the interstate and would do everything i want it to do including great MPG. The forza, on the other hand, seems a bit too much and the MPG isn't that great so i'll be waiting for that 200cc.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Your OP hit the correct points. For me, my 125cc PCX is perfect for my commutes, in the suburbs, most roads are 45mph. And as more and more people flee the city, the speeds have been lowered. The main road through town is now 40!!! WTF!

I did notice I was beginng to push my PCX to the limit as I was traveling. So I picked up a NC700X DCT. If where I'm going requires speeds 55mph or greater ill take my NC700X.

With these 2 vehicles, I'm covered on anywhere I want to go. I still do most of my riding on the PCX due to it gets 95mpg. And the NC 65mpg.

Monday-Friday I'm on the PCX. And the I bring out my weekend warrior.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

cessna151 wrote:The forza, on the other hand, seems a bit too much and the MPG isn't that great
Au contraire, the Forza has class leading economy.
My typical use of the PCX gives 90mpg.
The Forza will probably do 80-85mpg in the real world, initial indications are that it will easily achieve 80mpg even when used on high speed roads.
So not much in it.
Factor in the 8000 mile service interval and in the economy stakes the Forza looks to be the absolute dogs doo-dahs.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

GN2 has explained it very well. You just forgot that the PCX is a world wide model and that the rest of the world exists.

In most of Europe and of course in Spain, you can ride a 125 cc without a full bike licence. In the Spanish case, you need a three year old B (car) licence and you'd be entitled to ride motorbikes up to 125 cc and 15 hp of power, which is the equivalent to the A1 motorbike licence.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I realize the U.S. is a tiny blot on the world scooter market & the need for a 125cc. But most states here require full licensing for over 49cc, so bringing over 125 for one year & then the 150 makes no sense. Our highways are 65-70mph speed limits, having the 150 WOT will still get you run over. I would have either kept the 125 or not offered it,in favor of the 150?? The 125 is a great bike that never had a chance??
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It makes perfect sense.
The 125 was shipped to north america when there was no 150, it hadn't been built yet.
When the 150 was created they stopped shipping the 125 because there is no reason to import both to north america.
Its really that simple.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

It may not have been built, but it was in the works. Our dealer got the 125s in late October, pushed back from an original summer release and the 150 was announced in April 2012. That only gave the 125 a few months of selling time, which it did surprisingly well, but doesn't that seem like a waste of a production line???
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There are always new machines in the pipeline.
By your logic Honda should not import anything to north america because they plan to have new machines in the future.