Demo'd a CTX today

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Demo'd a CTX today

Post by GeezyRider »

I dropped my PCX off for service yesterday and went back to pick up today. While I was waiting, I started chatting with the owner about the Forza. He checked and said he wouldn't be getting one until the last week of August but he said he had a couple of other bikes I might be interested in seeing...an NC700X and a CTX700N with DCT and ABS.

I sat on both and I didn't care for the riding position of the NC700X but the CTX700 fit like a glove. I asked when his next demo day would be and he said "Every day is demo day if you see something in the store you want to try out. Sooo, a couple of minutes later I had my helmet on and was on the CTX. He asked me to ride it around the lot a couple times to get the feel of then take it for a short ride of about 5 minutes.

On the parking lot, the handling was easy and natural. The bike went where ever I looked. I am a novice rider but I was instantly comfortable on this bike and did not feel intimidated at all. My knees and upper thighs fit perfectly into the depressions at the rear of the tank giving a secure and very comfortable riding position. And the seat, for a brief ride anyway, was way more comfortable than my PCX--no sliding forward and no hump. (I know the PCX seat can be upgraded.) The foot pegs were slightly ahead of the swept back handlebar grips and the the cruiser-like riding position was very comfortable for me.

The bike has very little storage, just a small glove box that I put my wallet and cell phone in. It is set up to easily accept saddlebags and a rear trunk bag. The hard saddlebags from Honda are cool looking but they are also expensive.

The technology on this bike is amazing. But, I was in pretty heavy traffic during my short 2 mile ride so I left the transmission in the Drive mode because I didn't want to be distracted playing with the Sport and Manual modes. But even in Drive or Automatic mode you could feel the transmission shift just like a manual transmission bike. And, the power delivery from the engine was smooth and easily controlled. The exhaust sounded nice. Not loud but mellow.

Maybe with a 5 hour ride I could find some nits to pick but in my brief ride I couldn't find anything to not like. I know more experienced and more traditional riders will find lot's of faults beginning with the looks of the bike and ending with the automatic transmission. I don't care much about how it looks I just loved the way it FELT. The Forza will have absolutely blow me away for me to consider it over the CTX as my next bike.

Anyway, if you all get a chance to test ride a CTX do it. You'll have a blast.

Don
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Demo'd a CTX today

Post by you you »

GeezyRider wrote:I dropped my PCX off for service yesterday and went back to pick up today. While I was waiting, I started chatting with the owner about the Forza. He checked and said he wouldn't be getting one until the last week of August but he said he had a couple of other bikes I might be interested in seeing...an NC700X and a CTX700N with DCT and ABS.

I sat on both and I didn't care for the riding position of the NC700X but the CTX700 fit like a glove. I asked when his next demo day would be and he said "Every day is demo day if you see something in the store you want to try out. Sooo, a couple of minutes later I had my helmet on and was on the CTX. He asked me to ride it around the lot a couple times to get the feel of then take it for a short ride of about 5 minutes.

On the parking lot, the handling was easy and natural. The bike went where ever I looked. I am a novice rider but I was instantly comfortable on this bike and did not feel intimidated at all. My knees and upper thighs fit perfectly into the depressions at the rear of the tank giving a secure and very comfortable riding position. And the seat, for a brief ride anyway, was way more comfortable than my PCX--no sliding forward and no hump. (I know the PCX seat can be upgraded.) The foot pegs were slightly ahead of the swept back handlebar grips and the the cruiser-like riding position was very comfortable for me.

The bike has very little storage, just a small glove box that I put my wallet and cell phone in. It is set up to easily accept saddlebags and a rear trunk bag. The hard saddlebags from Honda are cool looking but they are also expensive.

The technology on this bike is amazing. But, I was in pretty heavy traffic during my short 2 mile ride so I left the transmission in the Drive mode because I didn't want to be distracted playing with the Sport and Manual modes. But even in Drive or Automatic mode you could feel the transmission shift just like a manual transmission bike. And, the power delivery from the engine was smooth and easily controlled. The exhaust sounded nice. Not loud but mellow.

Maybe with a 5 hour ride I could find some nits to pick but in my brief ride I couldn't find anything to not like. I know more experienced and more traditional riders will find lot's of faults beginning with the looks of the bike and ending with the automatic transmission. I don't care much about how it looks I just loved the way it FELT. The Forza will have absolutely blow me away for me to consider it over the CTX as my next bike.

Anyway, if you all get a chance to test ride a CTX do it. You'll have a blast.

Don
Get it!!! Life is too short

WOT is a CTX? Any pics
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A CTX is like an NC only worse.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

gn2 wrote:A CTX is like an NC only worse.
Yeah, I'm a novice and I only rode it for a couple of miles. You have probably spent a lot more time on it than me and can provide better input based on your experience. I'd be interested in others' impressions as well.

Don
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

According to the Honda web site CTX stands for "Comfort, Technology and Excitement"

Did you ride the faired or naked version and how tall are you? Looks like its coming to Oz soon...

Dont worry about GN2, he's just pulling your chain!
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

I rode the naked version Taz. I'm 5'11" tall with a 32" inseam. Also, with the low seat and center of gravity it didn't feel like a 500 lb. bike so smaller riders and women shouldn't have any problems.

Don
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Taz wrote:Dont worry about GN2, he's just pulling your chain!
Nope, I genuinely despise the NC engine and the styling of the CTX.
Its a big steaming pile of crap.
At least its reasonably economical though.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Good Ride Report.....I took one out for 114 miles 2 weeks ago (I'm my Honda Dealer's Test Pilot for New Products... :lol: )....I'll post my impressions here as soon as I can.... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

For those of you who had no idea what a CTX was (like me), see here: http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx700n.aspx
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Looking forward to your impressions Skuuter. I wish I could have spent more time on the CTX to play with the different shift modes and get it out on the highway. Maybe the fact that you ordered two Forzas after 114 miles on the CTX speaks volumes.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

GeezyRider wrote:Looking forward to your impressions Skuuter. I wish I could have spent more time on the CTX to play with the different shift modes and get it out on the highway. Maybe the fact that you ordered two Forzas after 114 miles on the CTX speaks volumes.
Nah, "Forza Fever" had nothing to do with a dislike of the CTX....I actually enjoyed it... 8)

I've already owned one of Honda's "Automatic Shift Motorcycles" (actually "4" if You go back to the 70s and the "Auto-Inline 4 cylinder Versions)....the DN-01.....

If I had Jay Leno's $$$, and Garage "Square Footage", I'd still own probably 150+ of my previous Favorite Motorcycles and Scooters I've owned and would still be adding "Favorites" now....but, alas, there are many, many $$$$$$$$$ between Jay's Bank Account and mine..... :lol:
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

the man believes in the power of green! I like your wife's attire, too, especially her helmet. someone told me the other day that people who were colorblind could not see orange that well. don't know if that is true or not, but he also told me that he could see my fluorescent green!
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

ScooterKim wrote:the man believes in the power of green! I like your wife's attire, too, especially her helmet. someone told me the other day that people who were colorblind could not see orange that well. don't know if that is true or not, but he also told me that he could see my fluorescent green!

I've got some "All Bright White" Gear now also.....it definetly helps if You ride a lot to stay "Bright"..... 8)
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

skuuter wrote:Good Ride Report.....I took one out for 114 miles 2 weeks ago (I'm my Honda Dealer's Test Pilot for New Products... :lol: )....I'll post my impressions here as soon as I can.... ;)
Any more on the CTX skuuter?
I enjoyed your review of the Forza,
so wondered if you had time to compare this to the NC700 or CB500X?
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

gn2 wrote:
Taz wrote:Dont worry about GN2, he's just pulling your chain!
Nope, I genuinely despise the NC engine
48hp and still 70 mpgUS. Super clean running catalyst and low cg. Whats not to like?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The god awful 270 crank and deliberately designed in vibration.
Utterly criminal.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

skuuter wrote:
ScooterKim wrote:the man believes in the power of green! I like your wife's attire, too, especially her helmet. someone told me the other day that people who were colorblind could not see orange that well. don't know if that is true or not, but he also told me that he could see my fluorescent green!

I've got some "All Bright White" Gear now also.....it definetly helps if You ride a lot to stay "Bright"..... 8)
You probably do need to look more conspicuous if you are teeny better to be safe than sorry
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

I bought a CTX700N about 3 weeks ago. I seem to be the only one who feels that it's top heavy. It's great once you get going, but I find low-speed maneuvering to be very awkward. I'm considering trading it in on a PCX150 or a Forza.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

gn2 wrote:The god awful 270 crank and deliberately designed in vibration.
Utterly criminal.
180 cranks buzz worse.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Darth Emma wrote:I bought a CTX700N about 3 weeks ago. I seem to be the only one who feels that it's top heavy.
That's how I felt about my Ninja 500. After riding 4 seasons on My Elite 250, the Kawasaki's center of gravity felt too high.
After one season I came back to scooters.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o