How is the scooter "culture" in your area?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Re: How is the scooter "culture" in your area?

Post by Scottish »

I live in a highrise block of flats and used to park right next to the entrance as it was covered by two cameras, except some nice person has started gobbing (spitting) onto the seat and topbox from their window above, maybe its a personal thing but whatever it is it certainly aint cultured!!
I even thought about one of these for a second https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... fe-camera/

but ive just resigned to parking in a more conventional spot and started filming the bike from my balcony window...

next purchase is a high powered sniper rifle with silencer and night vision ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Lucky they were just gobbing out the window and not wanking.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

They're as common as flies in summertime, where I live. And the 125 cc prevail, due to the fact that you can ride one without having to get a motorbike licence, provided that you've had a B licence (car) for the last three years. Those who have an A2 or A (motorbike) licence usually choose more powerful scooter, but if you look in any motorbike parking lot, you'll find a lot of scooters, from many different manufacturers.

As anywhere else in the world, "real" bikers who ride motorbikes with real gearboxes do look down on scooters and their rides. Who gives a shit?. I don't. I use mine for commuting in the city, and a scooter is better at that than most "real" motorbikes.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

you know what the COOLEST thing is here?? look at where we're all from... Spain, Scotland, Australia, Thailand, Romania, the United States: GA, SD, IN, TN, DE, PA, ... and then we have You You who is from the Center of the Universe... anyway, what I'm getting at is the wide range of area we cover here. and, what do we all have in common, is our PCX's!

for the record, I think a Scooter is more acceptable by the 4 wheeled drivers in Pa. they don't feel intimidated by a scooter, let alone a woman driving a scooter, as they would a Harley. drivers wave for me to go first at stop signs, most motorcycle drivers wave (not sure if that's because I'm a woman and they get a kick out of seeing a woman driving a scooter or motorcycle), and people ask me all the time about my PCX. then again I live in Carlisle, which is not a Phila or Pittsburgh.

Hey GeezyRider, when I lived in OC, NJ, we used to call them Shoobies... old old name as they (the tourists) were so cheap they would bring their lunch in a shoe box when they visited the beach for the day.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

motorcycles are very important for year round personal transportation in areas of japan that dont get too cold, snowy and icy. in dense urban areas, people dont have enough parking to have two cars, so many families have one car and a motorcycle, or scooter or two.

as i mentioned in other threads, the PCX 125 is incredibly popular here. sometimes i keep count and i often see 8-10 on a 30 minute commute and then another 4 or 5 in the motorcycle parking lot.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

We lived in the western side of South Dakota (in the Black Hills) for a lot of years. Maybe because of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, Harleys are prevalent. I have owned a lot of bikes over the years, including 9 Harleys, and I don't give a rat's rear what anyone else thinks of what I ride. I am having more fun with the PCX than I have had on two wheels in a lot of years. For full disclosure, we haven't lived in SD for 7 years, but the attitude you described is something we find most places we travel. Ride your ride. In my younger years, I had concern about what others might think... live long enough, and you will get beyond that. Or, get beyond it early and enjoy the rest of your years even more.

I have no idea if there is a local scooter "culture", because we travel a lot. In the past year, I have learned a lot about scooters and DEFINITELY have more appreciation for them. Only to the ill-informed are they "less" than a motorcycle... I find them to be MORE... more fun, more ease, and way more smiles per gallon. ;)

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

CaptnJim wrote:... I don't give a rat's rear what anyone else thinks of what I ride ... Ride your ride. In my younger years, I had concern about what others might think... live long enough, and you will get beyond that. Or, get beyond it early and enjoy the rest of your years even more.
Well said Captain Jim! It is always good to be socially and culturally well adjusted, but we should never govern our lives merely by what others might think.

I had never ridden a bike before and don't get the chance to ride in the countryside because I live in the heart of Bangkok, but nonetheless, when I bought my PCX I figured it would be an alternative means of transportation other than the Skytrain of subway. As it turns out, I use it very little to commute but almost daily I run it a few kms just as an "escape" from the daily grind. It has become a hobby for me and has helped me to connect with some Thai nationals at the bike shops that I buy my accessories.

I suspect that when I return to the US or Canada, I will be looking at getting a bike there.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

In the suburbs of Chicago scooters are gaining popularity, in the city, they are everywhere, especially in the college residence areas. Parking is free for all motorycles and scooters on city streets in residential areas. (does not apply to meters in front of businesses). We also have a weird loophole in the law, google Chicago motorcycle parking, and you will find we 2 wheeled peeps can park "between the arrows". It's hilarious to see a bunch of motorcycles and scooters crammed into the "free" zone.

In my town of Mokena, Illinois, the main road through town has a Harley Davidson dealer on the corner. It is a big dealer, full complement of everything Harley, including underwear. They have regular rallies, and organized rides. I ride and park my PCX by the front door in the motorcycle parking spaces provided all the time, enjoying free/charity food events, concert/local bands play all the time. And I like to look at the ever rotating new and used inventory.

Never had anyone even look at me weird. They all wave, smile, and some ask how I like my PCX. Most say they want something like it for local commuting, grocery getter.

My local Japanese motorcycle dealer askes me every time I stop in if I'd like to trade in the PCX. He's got a long list of people wanting used ones, but no inventory. Maybe one day, I'll roll out with a 1000RR.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

ScooterKim wrote:you know what the COOLEST thing is here?? look at where we're all from... Spain, Scotland, Australia, Thailand, Romania, the United States: GA, SD, IN, TN, DE, PA, ... and then we have You You who is from the Center of the Universe... anyway, what I'm getting at is the wide range of area we cover here. and, what do we all have in common, is our PCX's!

for the record, I think a Scooter is more acceptable by the 4 wheeled drivers in Pa. they don't feel intimidated by a scooter, let alone a woman driving a scooter, as they would a Harley. drivers wave for me to go first at stop signs, most motorcycle drivers wave (not sure if that's because I'm a woman and they get a kick out of seeing a woman driving a scooter or motorcycle), and people ask me all the time about my PCX. then again I live in Carlisle, which is not a Phila or Pittsburgh.

Hey GeezyRider, when I lived in OC, NJ, we used to call them Shoobies... old old name as they (the tourists) were so cheap they would bring their lunch in a shoe box when they visited the beach for the day.
You have caught on as to why I started this topic. It is not to complain about the idiots that I may run accross here in sticksville SD, but more to find out how it is every where else. I know Italy embraces scooters. I know Thailand and Japan, China do also. Much of this is do to economic and population reasons, also the way the streets and highways are made, traffic conjestion, etc. It is nice to hear from all over the world how others percieve our choices to own and ride these bikes.

I have owned some sort of scooter for almost ten years now. I dont care about the heckling I recieve at work or in public. I ride becuase I enjoy it. I like seeing something as little as a 280 lb scooter be able to go 60+ mph. It surprises other motorists all the time and destroys their "I dont want to be stuck behind the slow scooter guy" mentality. I enjoy spending $4.09 a week for gas instead of $25.00 +. Parking is so much easier with my PCX and most of the time I get front row spots. Whether its commuting to and from work or out on the highway just seeing the landscape I love every minute of it, even last week when I got caught in the rain storm.

Here the riding season is short, I have perhaps two more months of riding and then its storrage time. I will miss my PCX durring our long winters, but have something to look forward to again in April or May.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I've hardly done any miles on mine as my wife has pinched it and declared it hers

She is going to try her real bike tomorrow and if she doesn't enjoy it then it's going. She has done less than 1k in the years on it

Sooo. I'll have to get another one. Do the esps come in white now in the UK?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Yes, you can have an eSP in any colour so long as its white grey black red or drab green.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

I own and ride whatever I enjoy at the time...if, I buy more than one of a particular model, then it's a sign that I really like it. I put 10,000+ miles on a PCX125, and now own a PCX150...it's a "SIGN"...and as a Footnote: Previously, my Local Honda Dealer had sold more Ruckus Scooters than any Other Model over the years. Counting both 125s and 150s, They have now sold more PCXs than Ruckus Scooters. The PCX has done it in barely 2 years+, where the Ruckus has been out many years to get it's Sales. I have Folks here trying to get me to start a Scooter Club lately, so I guess Our "Scooter Culture" is doing well locally....we will see if "MID-TENN SKUUTRZ" materializes out of this culture..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

The weather and climate in Western Australia are absolutely perfect for scootering. It must really suck for those people out there that have to do extra maintenance and not be able to ride their steed due to weather concerns. On my week off I regularly ride down the coast to Fremantle and grab a coffee, or sometimes I drop in to Perth City and just explore back streets and find short-cuts through carparks and alleyways. Both Cities have heaps of m/c parking and i've never had issues parking on footpaths as long as you are sensible, actually thats where most people want to chat about and have a look at the scooter.I have also just returned from a holiday in Indonesia and was in awe of how the scooters dominate the streets there!
snake

Post by snake »

I live in London - quite amusing to watch that YouTube vid khoasaming. That's Exhibition Road near where I studied.

I've not had any aggro at all. London is awash with scoots and motorcycles. I'd say 50% of them are couriers/delivering food. You'll see literally thousands in a day - especially as two wheelers are exempt from the £10 charge you need to pay to go into central London. Commuting by bicycle and scooter has never been more popular, I love the way I can eat traffic on the PCX. In terms of private ownership (not pizza delivery boys - don't make fun by the way, that was my first job in 1998!) I'd say Italian scooters dominate. LOADS and LOADS of Vespas with funky retro styling, especially now the good weather is here. They all think they're in Quadrophenia or Roman Holiday. I love it - makes London look a bit European.

Every now and again I'll see something like this on the roads as well (they were heading to Carnaby Street - where the swingin' 60s lives on).
I'm not very knowledgeable about motorbikes but in the last week alone I've seen an orange Hayabusa and a Honda Goldwing with a two person sidecar. I don't feel any condescension from the bikers, I think because in heavy traffic they know the scooter is king.

I've done a lot of road trips in many countries and India to me is the one where scooters have really exploded in the last few years as families now have enough money to buy one, whereas previously they wouldn't. Traffic in the big cities is horrific so I am sure they will stay popular, like all over Asia.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

cool picture, Snake. I like the buildings in the background. reminds me of the buildings in Boston. that figures, doesn't it?!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ScooterKim wrote:cool picture, Snake. I like the buildings in the background. reminds me of the buildings in Boston. that figures, doesn't it?!

Well hmm. Boston, England doesn't look like that.
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Geneva is the place to be, scooters everywhere and crazy weaving in and out of traffic is standard. The car drivers seem to have accepted all the scooters/bikes and never seem to get angry at being cut up etc.

I attempted some local dodgy filtering and promptly got my topbox clipped buy a tram from behind (i wasnt even moving), it never honked or even slowed down after clipping me. Kept it safe after that!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:I live in a highrise block of flats and used to park right next to the entrance as it was covered by two cameras, except some nice person has started gobbing (spitting) onto the seat and topbox from their window above, maybe its a personal thing but whatever it is it certainly aint cultured!!
I even thought about one of these for a second https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... fe-camera/

but ive just resigned to parking in a more conventional spot and started filming the bike from my balcony window...

next purchase is a high powered sniper rifle with silencer and night vision ;)
You can't really silencer a "sniper" rifle if you are using supersonic ammunition. You can use a sound supressor if you want but you'll need an extra slot on yer FAC
BattlebornScooterist

Post by BattlebornScooterist »

It's a strange mix here in Northern Nevada. This is a BIG biker area, with events and rallies all summer. But I live in Reno which is a pretty small town with a ring road. Weather is perfect for riding here. Everything is a 20 minute ride away.

It's a college town, and the University has the majority of scooter traffic, but the recent explosion of cheap chinee stuff has gotten many more folks out on scooters.

The downside is twofold.

50cc or under is unregulated, no helmet, no trianing. So there are a fair number of idiots without any gear tearing around town because they can.

The other bad thing here is a shortage of shops to do scooter work/sales. The potential for a huge scooter culture here is thick but it needs to evolve a bit still. Some scoot clubs have formed in the past but none have lasted.

The scenery and roads here are great, we just need a 150-300cc market that doesn't involve China.
Curators do it Historically!
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

here in the northwest its becoming massive we just had a ralley of 84 riders 76 before that and another big one coming up. here we get decent respect due to the shere numbers.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW