Centerstand Bosses Revisited

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Centerstand Bosses Revisited

Post by skuuter »

SmellyTofu wrote:So what actually causes the fractures? Is it when you pull the bike back just as the stand stops in its final position?

"Probably/Maybe", but most any constant useage might do this, considering the small size of the Lugs on the Early models..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Why don't we not worry about it until it happens. Or not
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I'm not concerned. All of my past Hondas have been rock solid, I don't see my PCX being any different.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

you you wrote:Why don't we not worry about it until it happens. Or not
Well, I for one am glad to be alerted to this, as I have a 125, and always use the center stand, as I was taught by Scooter Masters. ;)

Fortunately, I have access to people skilled in many types of welding, so if the need arises, I hope to be able to effect a repair with little trouble.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jprestonian/pcx
http://scootercalledwanda.blogspot.com
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I retract my former statement after reading about this issue on several other non PCX forums. Apparently it has become a concern that shouldn't be ignored. Mine is now resting in our garage on her side stand. I used the center stand multiple times daily, but no more. Mine is a new leftover 2011 with just over 1,000 miles so I'm sure no problems yet.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

strkngfang wrote:I retract my former statement after reading about this issue on several other non PCX forums.
Do you have any links?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Well, after this thread, I've used the centre stand sparingly. Mainly to warm up the engine as I put in my helmet and gloves since it won't start on the side stand. Maybe I should consider getting on the bike with the all the stands up and sit and idle a bit.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

It's fuel injected, no warming up is necessary. Hit the button, twist & go.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

gn2 wrote:
strkngfang wrote:I retract my former statement after reading about this issue on several other non PCX forums.
Do you have any links?
This is from the ADV Rider site. I copied and posted this to our Honda dealer for his thoughts.

Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
I just found out last night about a major design flaw with the 2011 Honda PCX 125 scooters. Apparently the center stand mounts (witch use the engine block) were not built robust enough for daily use. After a period of time cracks form and get worse. At some point they cracks let go and your shiny ride comes crashing down. At best you just have a few new scratches and you can no longer use the center stand. At worse it takes enough of the engine casing with it and you loose all your oil and the ability to hold it.

Now 2 things really bother me here. Just how long as Honda been making bikes with center stands? Would they not know by now that this area needs to be built to a certain standard? I guess not!

Of coarse they beefed up the center stand mounts for the new 125's and the 150's sold in The USA for 2013. So obviously they have become aware of the issue and fixed it. However it appears they don't plan to do diddly squat for the previous design screw up.

Not only is a failure of this type possibly critical and life threatening to the scooter but possibly a safety issue as well. If a small child is on or around the scooter when this part decides to let go it could cause injury or death.

This morning I inspected my center stand mounts. I don't use my center for the most part except for maintenance and I never sit on the bike when its on the center stand. So hopefully this is really not an issue unless you use it improperly or every day. So far no evidence of any cracking on mine but it has me concerned. A part like this should be able to work as intended without any concern for failure.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

strkngfang wrote:It's fuel injected, no warming up is necessary. Hit the button, twist & go.
-----------
On the contrary. Any internal combustion engine needs warming up, because the oil must be allowed to reach a proper temperature and spread evenly across the moving engine parts for proper lubrication. So, don't touch that throttle immediately but wait a few minutes.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I don't bother warming it up. Start it and go. Don't see why you would. You wouldn't do it with a car so why a bike.
I wouldn't rev the nuts off it until it warms up a bit but normal riding shouldn't present a problem.
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

I'm not bothered about warming up, im bothered about having no center stand for refueling, checking oil and parking in the tight spaces at work!

Not gonna be a ginnie pig for the Forza, i'll wait till they find the problems and release an updated model...or just get an SYM next...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

ben wrote: Not gonna be a ginnie pig for the Forza, i'll wait till they find the problems and release an updated model...or just get an SYM next...
I have to say that my enthusiasm for the Forza has definitely waned in the last week.
Being an early adopter is something I usually avoid, but when it hit the UK market at £2270 with three years 0% finance, the PCX was just too tempting.

Looking elsewhere, it seems you can get a lot of nearly new scooter for two or three grand.
Not at all sure I want to pay the extra for a Forza in light of the quality issues I have experienced with the PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:
ben wrote: Not gonna be a ginnie pig for the Forza, i'll wait till they find the problems and release an updated model...or just get an SYM next...
I have to say that my enthusiasm for the Forza has definitely waned in the last week.
Being an early adopter is something I usually avoid, but when it hit the UK market at £2270 with three years 0% finance, the PCX was just too tempting.

Looking elsewhere, it seems you can get a lot of nearly new scooter for two or three grand.
Not at all sure I want to pay the extra for a Forza in light of the quality issues I have experienced with the PCX.
I take it you not getting very far with honda about the stand then.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Not heard anything yet.
Will call in past the dealer on Monday.
Not a happy bunny.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

khaosaming wrote: -----------
On the contrary. Any internal combustion engine needs warming up, because the oil must be allowed to reach a proper temperature and spread evenly across the moving engine parts for proper lubrication. So, don't touch that throttle immediately but wait a few minutes.
Exactly my reason. Plus I only ride the bike once a week or so and not too far either. Put it this way, I haven't had to fill up the bike for almost 2 months.