Just joined. Need info about mounting a trunk to my PCX 125.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Just joined. Need info about mounting a trunk to my PCX

Post by Bash On! »

I'd look for the OEM Honda rack, as has already been suggested, and make a mount for a very strong Pelican case, with foam inserts for your camera equipment. Make the mount quick-release and take the case whenever you leave the bike unattended. If a thief wants your stuff, they'll get it no matter what locking system you have. If they know you have camera equipment in the case, they may just steal the whole scooter.

Beautiful shot, BTW.

Best,
Bash On!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

You could take a glance at these brands, too.

Hepco and Becker
http://www.hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk/

Krauser
http://www.krauser.de/produkte/motorrad ... language=2

Moreover, I think that Givi makes the top boxes for Honda as well. The biggest difference is the mount, which is reversed.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

khaosaming wrote:Moreover, I think that Givi makes the top boxes for Honda as well. The biggest difference is the mount, which is reversed.
I am not sure what this is based on.

Typically, forged metal (GIVI mount) has more "give" to it than cast metal (Honda OEM) which tends to be more susceptible to cracks/breaking when bumped. If it is the welding on the GIVI mount that is of concern, a simple inspection should be able to confirm as to whether or not there are faults/cracks in the welding and whether the welds were done properly on any give set of mounts.

If it is the plastic base which attaches to the metal mount that is being referred to, I would still maintain that there is nothing inferior with the GIVI base, with it also having more give to it should it be bumped. Ultimately the box itself it plastic, thus if plastic is the concern, then that would eliminate the majority of boxes anyway.

I am not sure what better affirmation can be given than that which Skuuter has already offered.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not saying that the GIVI mount is necessarily superior, but I haven't heard anything offered on this forum or elsewhere that proves it is inferior to the OEM one beyond the plastic/metal point of view, which I believe is invalid for the above mentioned reasons.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.