PCX for a Big Guy?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Which would best suit my needs?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:10 pm

PCX 150
8%
Forza
38%
Burgman
23%
Get an entry level motorcycle
8%
Stay in a car
23%

Total votes: 13

Mekan

PCX for a Big Guy?

Post by Mekan »

I am 6'4" tall and 330 LBS and shrinking.

My goal:
To commute to work 5 days a week. 20 miles round trip. One long and steep hill. 30-40 MPH should suffice. Weather will go from 105 f degrees in summer and -10 f in winter. I do not plan on having a passenger...ever. I want to be as economical as possible including, maintenance, repairs, fuel, insurance, and purchase. The scooter would spend much of its time parked outdoors. I will not need more storage than comes standard.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX for a Big Guy?

Post by gn2 »

Given that minus ten fahrenheit is minus twenty three celsius, you won't be able to use a scooter all year round.
So whatever two wheeler you choose, you'll need to keep the car anyway.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I'm about 100lb lighter and don't like the fact that cars overtake my 125 on my uphill stretch which is why I may upgrade to a forza. See it you can get a test ride up your hill before buying!
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

only you will know best. test drive all of the above if you can. then, make your decision. when I climbed on my PCX at the dealer, I said hmmm, this feels good. when I took it out for a test drive, I said, this bike is for ME! you can do all the research you want but need to touch, feel, and drive it in the end.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have both a 150 and a Burgman 400. I bought the Burgman used with low mileage. The engines on Burgmans can last, if taken care of, well beyond 100K miles. Since it is built to handle 2 up it should have no problem handling your weight. The only sticking point would be your height . I am 5'10" tall and very comfortable on it. The rider's seat adjusts back but I think mine is about as far back as it can go. The larger Burgman, the 650 would fit you nicely but you don't need that much horsepower. It is a cruiser. You can pick up a used one at a fair price too. Still, ScooterKim said it correctly when she said that only you will know best. You have to sit on each, and see if you feel comfortable on them first. Then you need to ride each to see how you feel about them. I love our little PCX, but it is way to short for a tall person.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I usually won't ride when the temperature drops below about 20 degrees F, but this past winter I've seen guys on 49cc scooters ride to work on days when the temp was around zero with deep snow and ice on the highway. I would have to think twice before taking my truck out on days like that but they rode their scooters, so it can be done if that's what you want to do.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

-10 f in winter my vote : Stay in a car
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Whew! Tough conditions. Are we talking about Minnesota or North Dakota?? The problem with extreme cold like that is the least bit of moisture makes for slippery conditions, especially on road markings (stripes, crosswalks, etc). Buy the least expensive scooter and an inexpensive small car for those times when a heater or air conditioning would make the commute more liveable.

Take the hump off the seat of the PCX, and you should have plenty of room to slide back and accommodate your size. A bigger scooter would give you more "protection" (more fairing), as well as more room. A riding suit, like an Aerostitch Roadcrafter would be a good investment for the inclement days.

Good luck with the decisions.

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My brother-in-law is well over 6' tall (I think 6'4") and his knees get in the way of the handlebars when he turns the PCX. You might want something bigger.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes