Shorter handlebars or ??

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Shorter handlebars or ??

Post by gokidd »

Hi, all:
I'm new in these parts.
We brought home a red PCX 150 two weekends ago and it's great fun.
Contrary to numerous posts I've found here, I'm wondering if I'd benefit from lower handlebars ... in order to get some weight off my seat and more forward tilt onto the handlebars. I'm not used to riding so upright.
I'm 5.5 feet tall and even pushed back against the much-maligned SEAT HUMP, I feel like I'm sitting too upright for best comfort.
Has anyone tried rotating the stock handlebar back and down rather than up and forward?
Cheers.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Shorter handlebars or ??

Post by gn2 »

What were you riding before?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

gn2 wrote:What were you riding before?
A little bit of everything in motorcycles through the years -- Honda Interceptor was the most forward-leaning, whereas a BMW R100RT was the most upright.
It's still possible I'd fit better sans-HUMP, but wondered if anyone has tried lowering the bar for comfort ... so to speak.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

gokidd wrote:Hi, all:
I'm new in these parts.
We brought home a red PCX 150 two weekends ago and it's great fun.
Contrary to numerous posts I've found here, I'm wondering if I'd benefit from lower handlebars ... in order to get some weight off my seat and more forward tilt onto the handlebars. I'm not used to riding so upright.
I'm 5.5 feet tall and even pushed back against the much-maligned SEAT HUMP, I feel like I'm sitting too upright for best comfort.
Has anyone tried rotating the stock handlebar back and down rather than up and forward?
Cheers.

Haven't tried that, but I did put a flat bar on my PCX125 one weekend before I got the PCX150. Not the same "feel" or weight bias as a sport bike. When I got on some really tight, twisty mountain roads, it felt really, really "twitchy". I'm 5'7" with fairly long arms, and the main problem was during counter steering the corners, the lower riding/reach position tended to put too much weight on the bars causing the "over-react-twitchy" condition. Scooters tend to be more "Cruiser Bias" on weight percentages than "Sport Bike Bias".....You might give it a try, but generally doesn't have the correct feel....GOOD LUCK..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Its quick retilting the handlebars just make sure you use quality Allen keys (those hex bolts are factory torqued very tight). Mine are tilted as far fwd as possible but you could tilt them back. You will prob want to adjust the 2 brake assemblies position as well.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Thanks, all!
Skuuter, I follow your reasoning. A cafe bar doesn't sound like it would be wise, then.
Taz, I appreciate the advice on the hex bolts.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

After another day of riding, I am convinced: the problem for me isn't the handlebars, it's the hump in the seat.
Danggit.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I got my seat redone and I'm very happy with it. I'm 5'3" and now can put both feet flat on the ground, and the part of the seat where I sit is wide and comfortable. The pictures show the seat base as it came on the PCX, then after the hump was cut out and a smooth part plastic-welded in, then all reupholstered and put back on the bike.
tn_009.JPG
tn_009.JPG (20.21 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
tn_custom pcx seat 001.JPG
tn_custom pcx seat 001.JPG (19.87 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
tn_PCX seat 011.JPG
tn_PCX seat 011.JPG (31.49 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Thank you for posting, Indy.
I want to retain the storage under the saddle, but I need to be able to sit back aft a bit more and lean my body forward.
I like the mods idea.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400