Loading pcx in uhaul

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Loading pcx in uhaul

Post by logepoge1 »

We are getting the smallest uhaul offered(enclosed) to transport some stuff for college. We also want to put the pcx in the trailer. What is the best way to load it up as there are no toe down points on the floors and week points on the walls as I have heard from others. Uhauls motorcycle trailer is out of the question since we need to haul other stuff as well. I plan on tossing a blanket over it to prevent scratching
ImageImage
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Loading pcx in uhaul

Post by dasshreddar »

If there are no tie down points, the only thing you can do is wedge it in there... :|
It would probably take up too much room if you made a crate or something?
Mattresses, couches, lots of blankets on both sides etc. ???
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Screw some eye bolts or j hook bolts down on the floor to anchor to and tie it down on the center stand. Two straps, front and back should do it.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:Screw some eye bolts or j hook bolts down on the floor to anchor to and tie it down on the center stand. Two straps, front and back should do it.
I would think that breaks the rental agreement
ImageImage
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

logepoge1 wrote:
~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:Screw some eye bolts or j hook bolts down on the floor to anchor to and tie it down on the center stand. Two straps, front and back should do it.
I would think that breaks the rental agreement
so fill them in with some toothpaste when your done :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

CheapRide, you're Not saying to transport the bike with the centerstand down are you? Just to use the CS to steady the bike while tying it down, then release right? I've read over and over that No stand should be used while transporting.
logepoge1, dass wonders and me too, how much stuff are you hauling? If a lot, perhaps you can "softly" box it in near a corner. Turn the mirrors inward, wrap the top & sides of the scoot with "clean" moving blanket(s) and work your stuff cozily but tightly around it. I'm not sure I would drill holes in the floor either, but if desperate, I just might. Have you asked U-haul for their suggestions? I'm sure your situation comes up often. Maybe they won't mind a few drilled holes with patchwork done by you later? Anyone else do this here?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

WhiteNoise wrote:CheapRide, you're Not saying to transport the bike with the centerstand down are you? Just to use the CS to steady the bike while tying it down, then release right? I've read over and over that No stand should be used while transporting.
logepoge1, dass wonders and me too, how much stuff are you hauling? If a lot, perhaps you can "softly" box it in near a corner. Turn the mirrors inward, wrap the top & sides of the scoot with "clean" moving blanket(s) and work your stuff cozily but tightly around it. I'm not sure I would drill holes in the floor either, but if desperate, I just might. Have you asked U-haul for their suggestions? I'm sure your situation comes up often. Maybe they won't mind a few drilled holes with patchwork done by you later? Anyone else do this here?
I have hauled bikes with the stand down, and strapped. I have hauled one on a carrier with no stand down, just strapped down. I havent had an issue, but maybe I am doing something wrong.

Have you ever seen the inside of a Uhaul trailer? Theres more holes in there then one can count. I cant say I have ever done it, but I know people that have with out any consequences.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I bet the small haulers are holey! :P I think they should come with recessed anchoring points, as they are used many times for quick bike hauling. Me, I've only used Big U-Hauls within and out of state to move. Never saw holes in any of those floors. Bigger trucks come with side rails and eyebolts though so I'm sure they get used. I'm from the old school: do not damage others property....But I add that I might if desperate then later definitely patch. Do not use bike stands.
They do sell self standing chocks (Condor and other less expensive), several makes out there. Check for tire fit though. One might help if situated at the front wall of u-haul with scoot tire locked in (then surround with softer stuff?) Lookie here for ideas? http://www.discountramps.com
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

With all of the comments about center stand problems on other threads, I would NEVER transport it with the center stand down. That is just my opinion though.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The reason for not transporting it on the stand is that instead of the bumps being soaked up by the suspension, the stand jars in its mountings.
This is A Very Bad Thing when the stand mount is a brittle alloy crankcase.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Don't know yet. It's a 5x8 hauler so should be able to tightly fit.
ImageImage
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Here's some advice from someone who has actually DONE that...

That is a U-Haul 5x8 trailer, hauling two PCX 150s. We have hauled bikes for years, so we have some experience with this. First, check with your U-Haul dealer - some of the 5x8s DO have tie downs. As you can see in the photo above, this trailer (a newer one) also had wood supports along the wall. The tie downs are moderately wussy. Put something along the front wall to keep the front wheel from sliding (I used a piece of non-skid). Do NOT tie the scooter down on its centerstand. These trailers have crappy suspension, and your bike will be pounding on that centerstand. Much better to snug the tie down straps so the bike is on its suspension (without over-tightening).

If any of this makes you uncomfortable, go to Harbor Freight, and pick up a ride on stand...

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 97841.html

This is what we have in our dedicated motorcycle trailer. You do not have to screw it down in the U-Haul, and the cross bar gives you a place to tie down. Just put it against the front wall and chock it in place. Pick up a 20% off coupon and get the stand even cheaper (look online).

Check the tie down straps frequently; snug as necessary. Don't drill holes in the U-Haul... if they catch you, you will have to pay for the damage (OK, so they don't often look, but still). When you load up other stuff in the trailer, make sure it is packed so it doesn't slide around and scratch the scooter.

You can pick up the front of the scoot to get the wheel in the trailer, then be careful to not whack the undercarriage of the scoot as you lift the back in. Buy some decent tie down straps, and make sure they aren't wrapped around any cables. We use soft-ties around the handlebars, then hook the tie down straps to those. Be sure to put a soft cloth between the straps and any place it might rub on the bike.

We hauled our scoots 1348 miles from where we bought 'em in Arizona to home. Not a scratch. Don't drive fast when towing. Here's what we looked like on the tow...

Good luck,
Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

gn2 wrote:The reason for not transporting it on the stand is that instead of the bumps being soaked up by the suspension, the stand jars in its mountings.

This is true and I have not transported my pcx at all. My euro sport however did not have the center stand mounts attatched to the engine. It was attatched to the frame of the bike.

Now, which is worse, going down the road trailering the bike with the stand down and tie downs attatched, or having the bike on the center stand and having people in a show room somewhere sitting on the bike?
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:
gn2 wrote:The reason for not transporting it on the stand is that instead of the bumps being soaked up by the suspension, the stand jars in its mountings.

This is true and I have not transported my pcx at all. My euro sport however did not have the center stand mounts attatched to the engine. It was attatched to the frame of the bike.

Now, which is worse, going down the road trailering the bike with the stand down and tie downs attatched, or having the bike on the center stand and having people in a show room somewhere sitting on the bike?

People in a showroom are not "hammering" a bike like it would get being hauled in a trailer. I have seen people sitting on a bike with a substantial centerstand... not something I do with the PCX, either. You might as well be good to your bike. ;)

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Got it in. Looks like this trailer has built in eye hooks from uhaul itself.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377825066.609943.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377825066.609943.jpg (87.07 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
That's the scooter under the white fitted padded sheet. Tied from handlebars, front wheel, and back wheel no stand used
ImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Why do I feel nervous? Looks unstable and S h a k e y to me. When are you leaving, is there time for adjustments? How far is college? Is it me folks? C'mon, a desk chair upside down hovering nearby, your hat just sitting there ready to fall away. Are those bars between the wall and bike? Are those boxes secured? Lower the piles...they are too high. Really. That's your scoot hiding under there, it needs more protection. Strap all your stuff, secure, secure, secure! Stuff old pillows, throw pillows, blankets, sheets in cubby holes in and around Your bike. Use bungie's/rope to keep things from sliding into it. You do not want slip n' slide activity going on back there while you are driving. Wish I could help ya, I've been called "The Packer" a nit picker mover. Stuff goes in and comes back out in the same condition. Not trying to bully you, just want to help and point things out. Could be that I'm too protective, sorry. You want to keep that smile on your face when you get there, don't cha? Take another look inside.
All said out of concern (o; wishing you & your scoot a safe trip!
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

This is my moms packing. And college is 30min away. All she would let me do is strap it down. But scoot is secure to floor eyelets. And there is a memory foam mattress pad between scoot and boxes
ImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmm... :roll: ...be careful, be V e r y Careful driving (said while putting my blindfold back on again). Good luck with College!! :P
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

It worked. Nothing wrong.
ImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good to read! Thumbs up! Blindfold off :P