Fuel type in us

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: Fuel type in us

Post by RusticCharm »

There is a gas station near the Honda dealership that offers regular gasoline with no ethanol at the same price as the regular with ethanol. I have been told that the ethanol in gasoline absorbs water. Due to the fluctuations in temperatures from night to day during the fall and spring months, that would produce a lot of condensation,I drive the extra 4 miles round trip to get the gas without ethanol . Plus this chain sends ads with dollar off gas coupons making the extra distance worthwhile. I also get a kick out of buying just 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of gas and handing the coupon to the clerk.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

ScooterKim wrote:people have really attacked this subject with zest... and each with their own opinions! so, it's good to read what everyone thinks about ethanol vs non. so, here's my two cents worth, for what it's worth. after all, girls / women aren't supposed to know %$&&!! about cars and motors. I think ethanol is an extender. it's a junk additive (in my opinion) and if we had a station nearby that sold non-ethanol gas, I would buy my gas there. Then, I would do a comparison of ethanol vs non, mpg, servicing of the vehicle, etc. Anyway, we put 89 octane in ALL our vehicles, even my PCX and his Honda Rebel. the 4 wheeled vehicles don't ping with 89 octane and what the heck, I splurge the extra dime when I buy fill up the scooter.
If non-ethanol were available near our home, that's what I'd be using. The ethanol is crap - it absorbs moisture and will actually stratify if allowed to sit for a while. We use Sta-bil (blue formula) in anything we own that uses gas (outboard motors, generator, scooters, car). While the newer equipment has lines and gaskets made to work better with ethanol, that nasty stuff causes corrosion on metal tanks and eats away at rubber/plastic. Working around boats, I have seen the absolute damage ethanol causes.

We run 87 octane in the scoots. If it doesn't ping with the octane, running anything higher is just spending more for the same results.

MPG will be less with ethanol laced fuel than pure gas. Ethanol sucks.

Gender is irrelevant - ScooterKim is right on.

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

It's next to impossible to find any gas that doesn't have 10% ethanol added. I've never seen straight gas in southwest Utah. Even traveling cross country it is extremely rare to see it. Last summer the country suffered a severe corn shortage and it was either use corn to feed cattle or make ethanol. If I were growing corn and had the choice of who I sold it to, it would be whoever paid the most. I still think it's totally ridiculous to require it in automotive gas. It costs more to produce thus raising the price per gallon and reduces fuel economy. That's not to mention the fact that it does draw moisture causing corrosion problems. But on the positive side, it does keep the ethanol producers in business.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

CaptnJim wrote:Ethanol sucks.
Only in machines not designed for it.
The PCX is designed to run on a 10% ethanol mix so it is absolutely not a problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong