New member - new scoot

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

bangkokbrian47

New member - new scoot

Post by bangkokbrian47 »

Hi All,
Just to introduce myself.

Been living in up-country Thailand now for just under a year and moved into our new house in June this year.

Transport up to now has been a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport but now we're settled in a bit the wife and I both decided we'd like a couple of run-about scooters.

So off we went to the local Honda Dealer(s) in Nakhon Phanom (a small town of about 30,000 inhabitants in north east Thailand on the Mekong river looking out to Laos). Believe it or not but there are 4 Honda dealers in this small town .

I already knew what I wanted as I have been reading and digesting all about the PCX on this forum but the wife had yet to make up her mind. The last time I rode on 2 wheels was back in the 80's with a Kawasaki GPZ550 and the wife at least 25 years ago on something a little smaller.

As is the case in Thailand, scooters are "the" mode of transport and there are literally thousands in and around Nakhon Phanom.

Over here you can usually just walk into a showroom, pick what you want, pay your money and ride off, all in about 2 hours.
And that's exactly what happened (except it took the wife 3 hours to decide on the colour).

The wife finally went for a Honda Scoopy i in dark blue and cream and I chose white for my PCX 150.

The price of scooters over here is much cheaper than in the UK or USA and we picked up both scoots for 128000 baht (about £2570) which included registration and insurance for 1 year, 2 helmets (only good for building sites) and Honda light weight jackets.
So yesterday we both became the proud members of the Honda scooter fraternity.

Total ground covered is all of 40km around some of the local villages and, boy, did I enjoy it! Felt good to be alive again after all the hassle of house building over the previous 6 months.

Only got the one pic at the moment as I forgot to take the camera with me on the ride but will post more in the coming days.

It's been really helpful reading all your experiences on this forum and it made my choice a no-brainer with the PCX.

I may be 67 years old but yesterday I was like a kid at Christmas!

bangkokbrian47
Attachments
Our new scoots - with Maisie, our rather bald, Welsh terrier
Our new scoots - with Maisie, our rather bald, Welsh terrier
DSC_0506_small.JPG (100.08 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
If I had some ham I'd have ham & eggs if I had some eggs!
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Re: New member - new scoot

Post by Vagabondman »

Damn the PCX looks goooood in white. Wish I lived in Thailand. There is no white option for the PCX in the US right now. Bummer!
Stejay
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Stejay »

I'm still waiting for my white one. I've got about 4 weeks to go and I cant wait.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to the hondapcx forums ... great to have another expat living in Thailand on board! My wife and I are in BKK where I am working and she has just come along for the ride ... literally ... on the PCX. ;) Moved here from the US, but spent most of my life in Canada and also about a year and a half in England a way back in the mid 70's.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Welcome to the forum & the Honda family. I wanted white as well, but had to get the 125, since only red & black 150s for the U.S. Enjoy your new scoots!
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Hey Brian! nice scoots and even nicer dog! well trained to sit on your scooter! looks like you'll have to figure out how to take him / her with you. Watch out Maddie girl, you have competition!
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Thailand must be beautiful to ride around in. I've never been, but I lived in Taiwan for awhile. I would imagine they have similar tropical terrains. Used to love riding my scoot thru Taroko Gorge(Taiwan's Grand Canyon). The mountain roads are full of the most lush greens & dark rock. The ride up the east coast cliffs with the towering green mountains on your left and the bright blue pacific on your right...amazing.

Riding thru Taipei city tho is an exercise in sheer terror! Lol.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Gonna try to post some pics of Taroko Gorge in Taiwan. Beautiful place to ride...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.97 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Oops double posted that last pic. Beautiful tho no? Great ride. And you can stop anytime to cool off and take a dip in the aqua marine pools below :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (322.45 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (283.72 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Wow, what scenery!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Very nice pics, so who is she? A couple of years ago I took the east coast train from Taipei down south and was amazed at the coastal scenery once you got away from the towns and mining areas. Be great to explore on a bike!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Vagabondman, those are great photo's! Looks like a scene from Indians Jones, King Kong, or Jurassic Park. Kinda dangerous but (I bet) exciting! Welcome, btw :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Taz wrote:Very nice pics, so who is she? A couple of years ago I took the east coast train from Taipei down south and was amazed at the coastal scenery once you got away from the towns and mining areas. Be great to explore on a bike!
You should! Taiwan isn't that far from Australia. :-)

I've ridden around New Zealand which was amazing too, but Australia...wow. Who wouldn't want to ride around in the land of Mad Max?!

It's on my list!
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

WhiteNoise wrote:Vagabondman, those are great photo's! Looks like a scene from Indians Jones, King Kong, or Jurassic Park. Kinda dangerous but (I bet) exciting! Welcome, btw :P
Hey thanks WN. Taiwan used to be called Formosa when it was discovered by the portuguese. And It truly is a beautiful Island. It's also a scooter lovers paradise. I've never seen so many scooters before in my life.
apeacezalt

Post by apeacezalt »

Nice dog
Nice scenery
Nice PCX
Perfect thread ;)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Great pics of Taiwan, thanks for posting.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoops! bangkokbrian47, Excuse please :oops: I overlooked saying howdy to you and your very good looking scoots and pup! Shout out to your wife too :P I like the very "fast" way you purchase bikes there! 1, 2, 3 and out the door. Not here. First we gotta hunt 'em down & then "try" to wheel-n-deal a happy price for all. We do Not always succeed. Be careful among the crowd there, and keep those pics coming!! Enjoy! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
prenders88

Post by prenders88 »

Nice bike and house bangkokbrian47, Nong Khai a 55km blast up Highway 2 from me in Udon Thani, if I want to see the river.
You are at the end of Highway 2.
Have you been to the That Phanom temple fair held every feb?
bangkokbrian47

Post by bangkokbrian47 »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the welcoming messages.
A couple more photos of the scoot in Nakhon Phanom.

Prenders88, I have visited That Phanom temple but not during the Feb fair. Probably do so next year.
By the way we're at the end of Highway 22 not Highway 2 opposite the Laos town of Thakek.
Looking at getting over there in the next few months to ride up and around those magnificent mountains. Much more interesting than the Thai side of the river.

Vagabondman, that Taiwan gorge is absolutely amazing - must plan to visit there soon as it's not that far for us.

Bangkokbrian47
Attachments
DSC_0519.JPG
DSC_0519.JPG (116.14 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
The wife doing what she does best, posing!!
The wife doing what she does best, posing!!
DSC_0525.JPG (137.28 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
Outside the best iced coffee shop in Nakhon Phanom with the owner, Noi.
Outside the best iced coffee shop in Nakhon Phanom with the owner, Noi.
DSC_0523.JPG (126.97 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
The mighty Mekong looking across to Laos
The mighty Mekong looking across to Laos
DSC_0522.JPG (127.36 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
If I had some ham I'd have ham & eggs if I had some eggs!
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Beautiful photos, Brian, THANKS!
You have found a lovely Eden.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400