New Mirrors

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New Mirrors

Post by Taz »

My stock mirrors were too big and black but my first set of replacements were too small and though eBay claimed they were white they were really silver. So now I bought some bigger and proper white mirrors, again from eBay. I also have mirror extenders as I have my handlebars tilted way forward as have long arms and needed the extenders to get around my Ermax screen. If I hadnt tilted the bars I wouldnt need the extenders. Here are the pics, new ones in the middle...

IMG_0379 by TazPCX, on Flickr

IMG_0381 by TazPCX, on Flickr

IMG_0382 by TazPCX, on Flickr
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New Mirrors

Post by Taz »

You can also see my white duct tape to plug the gap under the windscreen. I had to add a small drain hole to the duct tape when I found rain water staying in there!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Getting some vibes in these new white mirrors. More noticable when idling at lights, before idle cut out. Not too bad when riding. I may add some duct tape around the ball sockets to see if I can dampen it out. Cheap eBay mirrors...
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

o_O Why did you plug the gap? You should find a prettier solution too, the duct tape looks ghetto. I'd give it 6/10 foodstamps for the ghetto rating.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Motorcycle manufacturers spend a lot of time and money making mirrors that don't vibrate.
Aftermarket tat makers don't.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Well after todays wet ride in will probably take these white mirrors off as the ball joints loosed up in the wind and rain making them almost unusable. Regarding plugging the screen gap it cuts down on helmet noise as the gap was sending air upwards into my closed face helmet. Will probably take the tape off in summer when back on the open face helmet. (we are in Spring now and dont have ghettos by the way).
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good try(tries) Taz ;) I think more mirror surface is a good thing too (and a bonus if in white 8)
Yowza! I dislike any noise stemming from my scoot, truck or even my non-motorized 2 wheelers. Just plain irritating to my tweeked up ears (keen senses are Not always a good thing). About your screen gap, how big/wide is it at the base? Can you stuff some flexible black rubber or similar on the inside rather than designer tape on the outside? Hmm....gotta be some kind of inconspicuos material you can improvise with? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

its a more than 2" gap. Yes you could stuff something down but I would be worried at going at 67mph and for the wind to push whatever was stuffed down up in my face.

Before with the gap when I rested my summer gloves on the dash I lost one glove thru the gap so at least that doesnt happen any more! The tape doesnt worry me. Ive got a yacht and you will be amazed where we use gaffer tape. Even used it to tape together a broken throttle cable once to get me home.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Taz wrote:(we are in Spring now and dont have ghettos by the way).
:lol: :lol: :lol: We don't have many ghettos here either, just an expression. ;)

I forget your seasons are almost flipped from ours. We're going into Fall now.

There's a lot to say about function over form, I think this certainly one of those cases.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Well silly me. The white mirrors have a 2 flat side adjustable nut to tighten friction on the ball joint. So now thats tight the mirrors are usable. Still some vibes but at least they dont move on their own now.
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

The Mirror Extenders that you have on the bike look like they already give clearance to your screen, I would have thought the stock PCX mirrors would have been fine threaded into those and with no ball joint to worry about no noise vibration.

I am contemplating buying a set of 10mm mirror riser/extenders myself as no matter what I do with fore and aft placement of my handlebars I am not comfortable with seeing my shoulders in the mirrors and lack rear view traffic.

I am sure I read on here that one of the mirrors is reverse threaded, does that mean that for one of the risers you have to purchase one of the Yamaha compatible ones?

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Yes you need one reverse thread 10mm but I think most kits include a reverse thread not just yamaha. I like my white mirrors as I tilted my handle bars fwd as have long arms so stock mirrors are no good with my ermax. They would have been ok if I had not tilted the bars.
alvinsgp

Post by alvinsgp »

I agree the stock mirrors looks really small. I got a new set of CNC mirrors too.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
alvinsgp

Post by alvinsgp »

Here is the installed mirrors on my bike.