Ready For Touring

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Ready For Touring

Post by Driller »

My friend, David has been working on setting his PCX up for some serious touring. He plans to take three months off and go on a long ride around the country.

I was very impressed at how he has mounted the cases.
He plans to add some more horizontal bracing to lend additional stability to the frames supporting the side cases. BTW, he fabricated the parts at home.

The top box and side cases were internet finds. The side cases appear as nice as Pelican boxes but at a lower cost. The planned addition of a tunnel bag, riding gear and apparel will have him set to go on this nice looking PCX.

Wishing I had the energy and time to take off on a trek like David has planned. :?
MagicSeaweed

Re: Ready For Touring

Post by MagicSeaweed »

That is amazing, I love the "hump! replacement
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

That is some serious seat mods! I plan to do some major touring around the US when I get my PCX too. I'll definitely add a givi trunk on the back...but I think I'll just do regular saddle bags on the side instead of welding a bar and adding two big plastic cases. But that's me.

I've never seen a seat mod like that on a PCX. Very cool, and looks like it will support your back nicely on long rides.

I just finished watching the Ewan Mcgregor/Charlie Boorman documentary The Long Way Round, and am itching to do some 3 month tours around the US.

Where is your friend David gonna go?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What is going on with all the seat humps and the white cylindrical protrusions from the seat?
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Not being critical, but the case over the exhaust could be prone to melting.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:Not being critical, but the case over the exhaust could be prone to melting.
Not a bad point. Would be worth checking full laden and over a bumpy road
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

The driver's back rest is a passenger back rest he had (Power PCX) and mounted with extensions through the holes the "hump" was attached to. He is short enough that set up does not cramp him space wise. I believe the cushion on the front of the top box came that way. Some kind of bag or soft cooler will occupy the space between.
The white tube is similar to what a lot of KLR riders use to carry tools and bits for road side repairs. Simply a piece of PVC with slip caps on the ends.
Wan's Journey on a Ruckus is his inspiration. I think his plans will be fluid with the goal of riding the four corners of the U.S via Blue Highways. Not sure if "scamping" is part of the equation.

I don't think the heat from the exhaust would affect the box. Probably not any warmer than the underseat storage compartment gets. Some reflective heat shield tape wouldn't hurt. There is more clearance than the photo shows. He is aware more bracing will be needed. I have read many threads and ride reports about brackets for hard and soft bags breaking under stress and flex (many in a far away place where welders are far and few between) :roll: .
I prefer soft bags myself. Easier to pack and adaptable to most bikes. There are many neat rigs to choose from. Motofizz bags are my favorite. I am still pondering how to place some points to attach straps to on my PCX.
Check out this chap's travels and the gear he carries if you want to be inspired to travel on a small displacement scoot. Pretty amazing!
http://l1616levoyageur.wordpress.com/
Or this...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608324
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Cool links Driller. Always inspiring to see people taking off on long adventures. Appeals to the explorer in all of us. Can't wait to get a PCX and go off on another adventure myself!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i like the side rack. i would use ortlieb motorcycle bags though as the bags themselves are much lighter. pelican cases are so heavy empty that you could carry around the same weight loaded with gear in a soft bag!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I was thinking along the same lines.
A pair of throwovers, plus a bigger bike to throw them over.
Touring on a PCX?
You would have to be mad.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

gn2 wrote:I was thinking along the same lines.
Touring on a PCX?
i suppose it depends on the country and roads. i would certainly tend to want a bigger bike for touring but i met a guy on this supercub on my recent tour. he has a V-Max as well but prefers touring on the supercub!

i also have a friend who is touring Indonesia and beyond on a CT110. you can take smaller roads in these countries with lower speeds and drivers are used to sharing the road with small bikes.

i certainly wouldnt wanna tour on a small bike in the US myself though

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Driller wrote:The driver's back rest is a passenger back rest he had (Power PCX) and mounted with extensions through the holes the "hump" was attached to. He is short enough that set up does not cramp him space wise. I believe the cushion on the front of the top box came that way. Some kind of bag or soft cooler will occupy the space between.
The white tube is similar to what a lot of KLR riders use to carry tools and bits for road side repairs. Simply a piece of PVC with slip caps on the ends.
Wan's Journey on a Ruckus is his inspiration. I think his plans will be fluid with the goal of riding the four corners of the U.S via Blue Highways. Not sure if "scamping" is part of the equation.

I don't think the heat from the exhaust would affect the box. Probably not any warmer than the underseat storage compartment gets. Some reflective heat shield tape wouldn't hurt. There is more clearance than the photo shows. He is aware more bracing will be needed. I have read many threads and ride reports about brackets for hard and soft bags breaking under stress and flex (many in a far away place where welders are far and few between) :roll: .
I prefer soft bags myself. Easier to pack and adaptable to most bikes. There are many neat rigs to choose from. Motofizz bags are my favorite. I am still pondering how to place some points to attach straps to on my PCX.
Check out this chap's travels and the gear he carries if you want to be inspired to travel on a small displacement scoot. Pretty amazing!
http://l1616levoyageur.wordpress.com/
Or this...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608324
The tube idea is a good one isn't it
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Touring on a PCX?

I don't know, it could be more fun just pottering around
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

you you wrote:
Touring on a PCX?

I don't know, it could be more fun just pottering around
thats pretty much what the supercub tourer said. he likes the relaxed pace of the cub. he feels more in the mood to stop and take a lot of pics and have a smoke on it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:I don't know, it could be more fun just pottering around
There's no doubt, on the right roads it definitely is, but on a small bike its all you're ever going to do.
Therein lies the problem, the stretches between the pottering bits.
Bigger bikes can potter too ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Touring on a PCX?
Nah. Not really. I know people who've toured on 50cc scooters. And hey, people tour all over the world on bicycles. It's all relative. You don't need a big honking 700cc maxi-scooter to tour. Heck, touring on a PCX is fun. I did all over Taiwan. Now that I'm back in the states, I wanna get a PCX to ride all over America on. Sure they aren't as big & comfy for long rides as those huge touring bikes are...but they're fun. Plus I'm an ultra light packer. I've travelled all over the world and have gone from using 110L backpack plus a daypack....to just using a 44L daypack for all my gear when I go on long overseas trips or hikes.

But its totally cool to feel that the PCX isn't the scooter for you for long trips. I admit, it'd have its challenges. Personally I've always found challenges part of the fun. But again, that's me.

If someone expects to do alot of offroad riding on long cross country trips, then yeah...that might be too hard on a bike like the PCX, and you'd be risking major breakdowns. But if you planned on keeping to the small back roads mostly with some freeway here & there. Why not? :-)

I wanna just take some clothes, my eno hammock, my iphone for pics, my gopro for video & my ipad to edit videos on and that's it. Simplicity at its finest. Ride cross country, taking pics & shooting video. Meeting some cool locals along the way. Stopping to sling my hammock btwn 2 trees at night to sleep under the stars. Rock & roll. Can't wait.
Last edited by Vagabondman on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Yes, oh come on, anyone can tour on a 1200cc BMW. But look at the challenge in doing it on a PCX. And not everyone has ewan mcgregors budget. Look at the fuel saved and cheaper parts bill. Good on him and good luck.
novemberdelta

Post by novemberdelta »

It doesn't look good at all does it? Definitely gone for function there, it isn't really a good looking bike anymore, the back end looks terrible. It's beyond me why someone would wld peli cases onto a PCX.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Taz wrote:Yes, oh come on, anyone can tour on a 1200cc BMW. But look at the challenge in doing it on a PCX. And not everyone has ewan mcgregors budget. Look at the fuel saved and cheaper parts bill. Good on him and good luck.
Totally agree mate. It's ALL good in my book. An adventure is an adventure. To each's own. If some bloke wants to circumnavigate the globe on a pogo stick...more power to em!
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

novemberdelta wrote:It doesn't look good at all does it? Definitely gone for function there, it isn't really a good looking bike anymore, the back end looks terrible. It's beyond me why someone would wld peli cases onto a PCX.
I'm with ya. Not for me either. But again...i guess it works for him. And thats cool. But I agree with you. I'd maybe use a givi topbox. Or bungie my backpack to the seat...but that's about it. Less is more in my book. I used to be the biggest over packer when traveling. But over the years, I've really gotten into ultralight traveling. Very zen. Plus you can always pick up stuff along the way when you need it.

But that's me. I think any kind of travel is cool, and we're all on our own path. So who am I to say what one should or shouldn't do? Best way to learn is by doing, and then figuring out what works or doesn't work for you based on your own experiences on the road. Cause ultimately, isn't that what its all about? The experience? And learning about ourselves along the way. :-)