Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Post by Slickvic »

sendler2112 wrote:
Slickvic wrote:Wow, that high of a top speed from just a few mods.
Major mods. Don't forget the over bore piston and jug and the performance cam.
Ah yes. Thanx Sendler, I already forgot all the other mods he did 4-5 pages ago. The cylinder and piston mods may be a bit more than I want to tackle, but most of the other mods seem attainable for me.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

Pcxdemon wrote: To disconnect it all you need to is unplug it and use that one piece wire supplied with it to bridge the gap for injector,thats it, 2min work!

And that is where the problem is, I do not have that cable. I believe the shop forgot to give that to me when I picked up the bike. I hope they did not throw it away :|
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

Update: I bypassed the SP Takegawa FI Con 2 and disconnected the battery to reset ECU. Rode the scooter for 5 kms checking acceleration and mid-range power. Plugged the FI CON 2 back into the loop and there is definitely better mid range power from the FI Con 2 than with the ECU managing the fuel output of injector. I am still waiting for my exhaust so I will try again when it arrives so the balance of air flow will be better. Currently just have the high performance air filter. I also installed 12g Dr. Pulley Sliders taking out the 13g NCY rollers and went one level down on the clutch springs from the NCY kit and the balance seems much better with increased power all the way to 80 kph. I am still waiting for my Tacho so I can report RPM's, but feel wise it is a step up. Still have not found the sharp take-off speed I am looking for butting getting closer. I have not tested max speed yet but plan to today.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I have a 150 and installed the NYC variator kit with both pulley halves and the supplied weights and I top out at 124 kph or 77mph. That is my only mod along with a givi 332 screen
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

was that a bbk 150 or a factory 150 cause that would be perfect for my setup if thats factory and how is the pickup to that piont if it lowers the acceleration im not thinking im going that rate.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Yes that's on a stock pcx 150
I do about 50/50 city to highway riding. I get around 80-85 mpg on the highway. At 65mph the throttle is barely open, at 70 your around half throttle. You just don't have much power up there. My next mods will be a takegawa exhaust and a yuminashi gear kit. That should make a considerable difference.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The acceleration is quite improved because of the lighter rollers. The rpm drop after the variator locks up and your rpms start climbing, around 45-50 mph, that's almost nonexistent.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

How hard is it to put the NYC variator kit, and how much does it cost? All my wife wants is to get up to 70 mph on the road or a little more. She is happy with her PCX 150 except that it tops out at 67 mph. If there is a wind or a hill, the top end drops. If this kit can increase her top end she would love it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

not cheap cheapest i found was like 280
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Mel46 wrote:How hard is it to put the NYC variator kit, and how much does it cost? All my wife wants is to get up to 70 mph on the road or a little more. She is happy with her PCX 150 except that it tops out at 67 mph. If there is a wind or a hill, the top end drops. If this kit can increase her top end she would love it.
Keep in mind that top speed in wind or on a hill is power limited. A variator swap won't change that much. It only helps get more top speed at redline due to longer maximum gearing.
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

no but the lighter wieghts contra spring and torque driver makes a big difference if all done
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

http://www.jiangwayne.com/scooter/p_i.php?i=205
Cost is $90
It's a half hour swap at most. This kit (the same one I have) is just the drive face, variator, and rollers. Use an impact to remove an install the pulley. Don't keep hitting it with the impact once it seats, jut give it another one or two bumps. You WILL need a spacer. I found that a copper crush washer works great, the belt will slip without it. I would suggest a strengthened belt for peace of mind.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Ive stripped the scooter apart yesterday to pull the rear end out so i can adjust the valves and have a bit better look around the engine....
Found after 4000km inlet valve was tight and exhaust was within specs. This is the second time i had a look at the valve clearances and both times inlet valve has tendency to tighten itself up...All is good now.
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

Update: I have the LV Cobra SS exhaust installed and a tachometer. Power feels good throughout but I have lost a few KPH on the high end, now only getting 105 to 110 max. I have the 12G Dr. Pully Sliders in with the NCY kit. RPM's at WOT on highway max at 4800. Should I go lighter or heavier with the roller weights? I am guessing Heavier at this point.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Scompton1 wrote:Update: I have the LV Cobra SS exhaust installed and a tachometer. Power feels good throughout but I have lost a few KPH on the high end, now only getting 105 to 110 max. I have the 12G Dr. Pully Sliders in with the NCY kit. RPM's at WOT on highway max at 4800. Should I go lighter or heavier with the roller weights? I am guessing Heavier at this point.
Your tach must be set to the wrong number of cylinders. 4,800 is probably half of what the real reading is at 9,600. That is the electronic rev limit. The rollers have nothing to do with that. You want to set the weights so that you are at 8,000 rpm when you pin the throttle at speeds between 20-40 mph, 30-60 kph.
I don't know why you have lost top speed with the exhaust if the engine is still redlining. RPM versus top speed should still be the same.
Keep in mind that it may take a few days for the engine to adapt the mixture to the new pipe.
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

New LV Cobra SS pipe
New LV Cobra SS pipe
IMG_0589.JPG (244.44 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Sendler, thanks for the reply. The tach is digital and designed for scooter/motorcycles. Not sure what that means. I will give it a few days to stabilize. I am just not sure that I have the transmission components fully balanced yet. It sounds great with the new exhaust. The shop thinks I have too light a weight for rollors, he thinks I should be using 15g minimum. I may give that a try if top speed does not improve over the next few trips. It is definitely more fun to drive than it was with stock.

I will post an update soon.
2013 PCX 150 White w/Upgrades:
1-NCY Super Transmission Kit w/Dr. Pulley Sliders 16g
2-LeoVince Cobra SS Exhaust
3-Wiruswin Caliper Type Air Intake/Crankcase Breather tube/pipe
4-SP Takegawa Cont FI 2
5-EFX Xline V1 Pro LED kit with 4 addtl 7" strips
6-HDBright HS 5 HID Conversion and LED T10 Wedge running lights
7-Seat Back rest, NCY Orange Aluminum Brake levers.
8-Chrome: floor boards, mirrors, CVT cover, speed sensor, radiator cover
9-WIRUSWIN Tail MOD Kit
10- KITACO Dash.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Scompton1 wrote:Update: I have the LV Cobra SS exhaust installed and a tachometer. Power feels good throughout but I have lost a few KPH on the high end, now only getting 105 to 110 max. I have the 12G Dr. Pully Sliders in with the NCY kit. RPM's at WOT on highway max at 4800. Should I go lighter or heavier with the roller weights? I am guessing Heavier at this point.
Read the instructions on how to set the tach correctly..there are options for 4t,2t...try 15g rollers and see what it does.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Two things, I have heard of a top speed loss with the full NCY kit. Maybe it's in the contra spring? Swap the stock one back in and see what happens?
Also, did you shim the variator? This is essential to the NCY kit.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

get your tach set up so it is reading right. It is reading half value right now. Then do some pulls. You should see the rpm go quickly up to a near steady value and stay there until you reach 50 mph or so. then it will begin to rise linearly with speed showing that the weights are all the way out. Which means they are not too light. the rpms will continue to rise with speed until you either run out of power and top out ar you hit redline at 9,600 rpm.
Put the stock contra spring back in. A super stiff spring squashes the belt and makes it narrower as it is running through the pulleys robbing top speed. And heats it up more causing wear and wasted power. Lighter weightd do the same thing as a stiff contra spring to raise the pulling rpm. Without the drawbacks.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

So, ive decided to upgrade the valve springs and clean up the head (re-seat the valves) to make it super efficient,its done 20000km of hard lovin so its due for some tlc.....It takes me now less than an hour to pull the whole motor out and have it on the bench...